Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Help please

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ditzy Girl Posted - 05/09/2013 : 08:34:38 AM
I am working on a pattern and I need it a little smaller in the width. Not a whole size so if I go up a needle size on existing size will that make it a just little smaller
in the width?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
emmyc Posted - 05/22/2013 : 04:35:11 AM
Zola, Checkout Amy Herzog's "Knit to Flatter" book. All about adjusting patterns to fit you better!

emmyc
winchester ma
Ditzy Girl Posted - 05/21/2013 : 5:12:37 PM
Minh, Well I received my new book today. It is the first
knitting book I have ordered in yrs I love a couple of the sweaters and most of the hats.

I don't know whether to thank you or not.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

knitgray Posted - 05/20/2013 : 09:09:51 AM
I always need to adjust the sweaters I knit. I think you would be happier if you reduced the number of stitches instead of the needle size. Getting the correct gauge is hard enough. The designer takes into account the drape of the yarn in the gauge recommended. I think you might be unhappy with the finished result if you just use smaller needles to get the width you want. If you pattern has a complicated repeat instead of plain sockinette, you can add or delete stitches in the repeat or just have sockinette on the sides.
Janettoo Posted - 05/12/2013 : 7:59:15 PM
Maybe going to a smaller needle will give you the width you want; maybe not. Maybe you need to change the number of stitches you knit. You need to swatch with different size needles and see if you like the fabric you get with smaller needles, and what gauge you get. Smaller, tighter stitches might made the fabric stiffer than you want.

You might want to follow the directions for a smaller size with the needles and gauge you have now.

It all depends.

Janet in TN
ikkivan Posted - 05/09/2013 : 1:37:40 PM
Zola, you may be thinking that if larger needles mean fewer stitches per inch, that will mean a smaller size ... but just the opposite is true, IF you are knitting a certain number of stitches with the same yarn.

For example, if one size needle gives you 3 stitches per inch and the instructions say to knit 90 stitches, your item will be 30 inches wide (ha, in a perfect world!); but if a smaller needle gives you 5 stitches per inch, those same 90 stitches will be only 18 inches wide with the same yarn (90 divided by either 3 or 5).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
minh Posted - 05/09/2013 : 12:52:22 PM
I agree with anderknit, you should go down a needle size.

Whatcha making?!

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
anderknit Posted - 05/09/2013 : 12:38:54 PM
Won't that make it bigger? Bigger needles = looser stitches = wider fabric?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe