Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Needles!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SwampCatNana Posted - 02/28/2013 : 1:45:37 PM
I have some old metal needles but with all the improvement in needles I have found I LOVE the bamboo ones.
I'm gradually adding new ones but wish i could afford to get a bunch of them all at once!
How did you acquire all your needles, and what kind, acrylic, bamboo, etc.?

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jtamsn Posted - 03/23/2013 : 1:16:11 PM
I have all sorts of needles (no interchangables, they just don't appeal to me). I have some that were my mothers, my mother in law's and my grandmother in law's. I have a lot that I have purchased as well. I rarely use the old ones, I just like having them, knowing the love and care that the ladies in my past put in to their knitting. I will say, that I have a couple of crochet hooks that were my grandmother in law's that I think are made of bone (?) and I love them, especially for picking up dropped stitches. As for my own preferences, I do find that what I use depends on what I am making. I now almost exclusively use circulars, bamboo,or metal. I do have a few Addi's, but what I purchase, often depends on where I am,and how much I can afford at the time.
judy
gcelee Posted - 03/21/2013 : 2:48:34 PM
I'm more a circular metal person than bamboo or wood, although when it comes right down to, the type of fiber really determines what kind of needle I use. I recently bought one of the Addi lace interchangeable sets and I'm very pleased with it! I have added a few cords and a couple of additional tips, so I'm looking at bigger storage.

I normally start with metal - Addis, Chiagoo and Hiyahiya and if they are too slick I switch to bamboo. Although I love the rosewood and ebony needles I don't use them enough to justify the price. I have been looking at the Signature Arts needles after a few folks I admire have raved about them. I'm still struggling with the price though - $40+ for one pair of needles is a lot!

I do remind myself that good tools make for more please work, which is definitely true for me!

Carol
Knitting is cheaper than therapy and more effective. I enjoy it more and it's good for my blood pressure. What more could you want?
robinstephanie Posted - 03/16/2013 : 10:58:04 AM
Ikkivan loves knitting needles? Check!

When mother sold the house I grew up in several years ago, I went down to LA to help her pack. She came out of her closet with this huge bundle of knitting and crochet needles--at least six inches around, and asked me if I wanted it. I considered. I'd always wanted to learn to knit, but I was 37 and it hadn't happened yet, and I couldn't say it ever would. So in the spirit of not acquiring a bunch of stuff I'd never use, I said no. Three years later, of course, I learned to knit and went berserk over it. Many of those needles had belonged to my grandmother, as well as my mother. I shudder to remember it.

The best thing about it, however, is that some knitting fiend somewhere in LA came upon that bundle in a thrift store and pounced.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
ikkivan Posted - 03/14/2013 : 7:15:09 PM
I have far too many needles, probably, but I love them all ... I guess I collect them and have acquired them over the years, beginning in the 1960s. Now my neighbor is making handmade needles (straights and dps, neither of which I use) and I know I'll want some of those "just because." Although I rarely use them, my Swallow needles with the very short tapers and blunt tips have been the answer to a few really difficult yarns, so I enjoy having lots to choose from.

Several years ago I bought a complete "set" of 32" Addi turbo (my favorite, all-purpose length) fixed circulars on e-bay, with about 16 sizes, I think. I use them now and then as a last resort, because while they are really slick and fast, the glare bothers my eyes so much that I am usually willing to sacrifice some of that speed to prevent headaches. I do love the points.

Then I fell in love with the Addi Naturas (I suppose bamboo or wood are my absolute favorites) and after buying several circulars, I treated myself (I thought) to a set of the pricey Natura interchangeables. Big mistake! The joins are terrible and that brass portion makes the non-cord part of the needles way too long for my preferences; I can't stand that snagging of my yarn there where the pieces "click" together.

I waited 9 months for three of the Darn Pretty fixed circulars from Vermont, and when I use them I almost always end up switching to another brand because fibers catch in the little space where the join swivels; I do not like swivel circulars. Live and learn.

I have many HiyaHiya fixed circulars in both the stainess steel and the bamboo, and a set of interchangeables (small sizes) for both. I LOVE my bamboo HiyaHiya circular needles most of all.

For larger needle sizes, I find myself using my Denise interchangeables (the first interchangeables I bought); they are still very good for some items.

I have Clover Takumi needles, the Dreamz (horrible) needles, the Knit Picks in all the different materials (gave the entire Options set to my daughter); I use those in the really small sock sizes. I have Chiagoo red lace, too.

I do use straights for knitting scarves and dishcloths and for casting on sometimes, and adore the Lantern Moons and several hand-crafted straights I have. I do not knit much with dps, but have plenty of them in many sizes for making i-cord.

Did I mention that I love knitting needles?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
robinstephanie Posted - 03/14/2013 : 08:49:48 AM
Bit by bit, as I knit more and learn more styles of needle that I like. I'll go to conferences and specifically seek out specific brands and sizes of needles to fill gaps, a little at a time. Favorites are HiyaHiya metal, Lantern Moon DPNs. (I only have one set of LMs, and I treasure them.)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Grand-moogi Posted - 03/14/2013 : 04:07:37 AM
Bit by bit. Although I had a lot that my Mum left and between my daughter and myself, we have a whole drawer full. 90 cms long, 30 wide and 15 deep. that is a 36 inch long drawer, 12 inches wide and 6 inches deep. Full of knitting needles and crochet hooks.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Daylily Posted - 02/28/2013 : 2:52:12 PM
I have seen interchangeable bamboo needles from Aldi and Clover.

Daylily, another one tomorrow

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe