Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 counting stitches for log cabin blanket

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 02/11/2013 : 07:47:18 AM
I'm sure this question has been answered in the past, but I've grown tired of looking for it: when following the directions for a log cabin blanket (Mason Dixon Knitting), after that first piece with 24 garter ridges, when I leave the last stitch on my needle after binding off, turn clockwise and then pick up one stitch for each of the 24 garter ridges, I have on my needle 25 stitches, not 24.

Whenever I see a reference to a stitch count, I have one more stitch because of this one stitch from the just bound-off edge. How do I deal with this stitch? I can't find anything in the book about this (or not that I can undestand).

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 03/05/2013 : 08:15:15 AM
Thank you ... yes, I've watched that many times and have downloaded her pattern.

Also, I finally found in the February 2004 archives on the Mason-Dixon Knitting blog a step-by-step explanation, and there I see that the extra stitch can be counted or not! So, I kept my extra stitch and everything worked out fine. The book also seems to emphasize that one does not need to count once this thing is started, so that leaves me to believe it really doesn't matter.

I'm now on my second log cabin; I began with the traditional form, keeping that extra stitch each time (i.e., I do NOT knit it together with another stitch; it's just part of the overall stitch count for the row). But I'm adding the "moderne" touch at the ends to make it longer.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
knits_for_preemies Posted - 03/05/2013 : 07:38:28 AM
I think I've found the answer to your question about that "extra" stitch. Look at the video posted on this link: http://verypink.com/2012/02/15/log-cabin-scrap-blanket/

The video is very well done. The presenter accidently says "counter-clockwise" when she means "clockwise". Otherwise the video is great. It takes you step by step through the log cabin process, including that extra stitch you refer to.

Happy Knitting,
Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/KnitsforPreemies
www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe