Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Shawl

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lucybug Posted - 02/04/2013 : 09:57:21 AM
On Friday I had breakfast with a very good friend and she handed me an invitation to her daughter's wedding on February 17. (BTW I'm not at all bothered by the late invitation -- I'm thrilled that she wants me to be there to share her day.)

Anyway a couple of days after the wedding we're going out of town for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary and I had been thinking about making a shawl to wear for dinner. So, the wedding invite pushed me over the edge and I decided to make one.

At lunch I went to my favorite LYS to get yarn. They didn't have the color of the yarn I wanted but the owner called Cascade and they said it would take 48 hours to process my order. THEN they would mail it. What in the world takes 48 hours to process?

Anyway, there was only 2 skeins of my second choice -- Cascade Ultra Pima. What was very very cool -- and why I'm even writing this -- is the woman that had bought the rest of that color happened to be sitting in the shop knitting. She said she didn't have any plans for the yarn -- had just bought it and a few other colors -- so she offered to go home and get it. I bought it and they're ordering more for her. Wasn't that sweet? I was overwhelmed by her kindness.

So, I'm making the shawl in the Sally Melville Purl book with the lace edging. I've made it twice before -- it's very pretty and super easy. I made good progress on it this weekend so hopefully I'll finish it.

Moral of the story is to pay it forward. I had made a sweater for my husband with a NFL logo. A woman happened to be there that is a HUGE fan of another team. I had 2 books with the logos and mine was in one book and hers in the other so I brought the other book into the store for her. We knitters have to stick together!

Pam in the Colorado mountains
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grand-moogi Posted - 02/28/2013 : 04:35:12 AM
Pam, it will be finished. I will keep my eye on the 'Hooray it's finished" topic. I still have not finished my daughter's shrug. I have only a few rows left but I lost count of where I was up to because I was nattering too much at our knit and natter session. I just have to get it out, look hard at it and figure out where I was up to and FINISH IT.

I knit a hug into every stitch
lucybug Posted - 02/24/2013 : 2:29:39 PM
Grandmoogie - thanks for the pep talk and you're right. Out of respect for the kind woman that let me buy her yarn I need to finish the shawl. Plus I'm very very close. The yarn is in however we went to Arizona for the weekend and now can't get back as the Denver airport is essentially closed due to a snowstorm. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to get back for work. And if I hadn't gotten food poisoning. I feel better but want to be in my own bed with my cats.

The wedding was lovely. My friend's daughter married a man from Kenya so they encorporated a few Kenyan traditions. His mother wore a gorgeous headdress and long dress made out of a batik type fabric. We had a wonderful time - it was very special and am so happy we were invited.

Grand-moogi Posted - 02/20/2013 : 07:13:29 AM
Bummer! What a pain! Was the wedding nice? I guess you could still enjoy it with another shawl on. Now don't be like me and lose interest now because it did not work out exactly the way you had planned. That yarn will come in and you will finish it and have it ready to wear to another very special event. You owe it to the lovely lady who went home and got the yarn for you. If you never finish it, that little kindness will have been for nought.
Apologies for the little lecture. You see if it was me, I would be disappointed and lose heart. I am just hoping you do not lose heart.

jtamsn Posted - 02/18/2013 : 10:57:44 AM
Great story, but oh, how frustrated you must feel!
judy
lucybug Posted - 02/18/2013 : 08:54:14 AM
WAAAH! The wedding was yesterday and I didn't finish the shawl. I finished the body on Tuesday and thought I was home free -- had a skein and a bit left for the edging. You guessed it -- didn't finish AND ran out of yarn. As of Friday I had one edge done and about 1/4 skein and knew there was no way but went to the store anyway. She had run out of yarn and it probably won't be in until late this week. So, I won't have it for our trip either. Oh well, That's how it goes sometimes.

Grand-moogi Posted - 02/07/2013 : 04:34:47 AM
Agreed. They say "No News is good news" and that can be swapped round to "Good news is no news" so we don't hear it as much as we should.
There is a lot of it on these forums though. People helping one another every day. I really think world peace could start with the knitters.!

robinstephanie Posted - 02/05/2013 : 10:56:00 PM
Agreed, great story, LucyBug. It is good to hear the good ones; sometimes I focus too much on the not-good ones.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Ditzy Girl Posted - 02/05/2013 : 09:04:25 AM
It is a lovely story and I do think there are plenty of
stories like that it is we just get to hear neg. ones because the good ones aren't news somehow. Almost every
day I have a stranger do a kind thing for me and I try
to be kind to someone in return. Overall I think there
are more kind considerate people than the others.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

donnawatk Posted - 02/05/2013 : 04:51:19 AM
Nice story!! If we had more of these kind of things to happen what a world would be. I guess it has to start with knitters. Donna

Donna
anderknit Posted - 02/04/2013 : 6:45:44 PM
Great story, and a great reminder that everyone can find a way to pay it forward. Thanks!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe