Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Ideal Knitting Bag
 My ideal knitting bag

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lynne604 Posted - 10/05/2012 : 08:16:34 AM
Would be big enough to hold my current project, which is usually a shawl. There would be plenty of inside pockets and a divider. The handles would be long enough to slip over my shoulder even when I'm wearing a winter coat. The bag would have a snap closure and be dark enough in color so it would not show dirt.

I actually had a bag similar to this; it was a beach bag that I bought at K-Mart on clearance. The problem was the light color, which looked dingy after a while.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SwampCatNana Posted - 03/01/2013 : 08:14:21 AM
I just ordered the pattern posted in my comment above. It came to $10.99 for the whole thing. Can't wait for it to come in!

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store
SwampCatNana Posted - 02/28/2013 : 6:23:47 PM
Susan 1006 - is this the pattern? http://tinyurl.com/ccccd3r

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/store
Susan1006 Posted - 02/01/2013 : 11:35:09 PM
I will try to post photos tomorrow. I noticed it has six pockets, not eight, but otherwise it is as I described it :)

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. EZ
Grand-moogi Posted - 02/01/2013 : 3:24:20 PM
Susan, that sounds really good. Could you post a picture or two or three of it for us please?

I knit a hug into every stitch
Susan1006 Posted - 01/31/2013 : 10:13:18 AM
I did design and sew my own perfect knitting bag. It is a nice deep flat bottomed tote bag with 8 deep pockets all around the outside. It sits up well and is easy to see inside. I used a Simplicity pattern, (I will have to look up the number - I'm not at home) and quilting cotton in three coordinating colors. It really is perfect. I also made a little zipper top bag about 5" by 10" to hold knitting notions. It fits down sideways in one of the pockets on the outside. So does my phone, my wallet, keys and other things I may want to take to Knit-night. Even 14" knitting needles would fit in the pockets pretty wellm,m but I don't use them any more. Circs fit perfectly. I brought three UFOs with me on this trip and I have plenty of room to carry them completely inside the bag. I do use slide top baggies for individual projects and their patterns, and put the one I am working on out in the knitting bag so the yarn and project stay put. The baggie for the WIP is folded and put in one of the pockets. I am delighted with this bag. I don't like zippers in the top of a knitting bag where the yarn will pass over them.

Knit on with confidence and hope through all crises. EZ
knitegrity Posted - 01/25/2013 : 6:10:44 PM
I've found I just like the felted market bag I knit several years ago for my handy knitting bag. I've even bought some pricey bags but always go back to that one especially in winter. In summer any cotton fabric bag will do. I do have a few from Nana Sadie Rose Bags at etsy and they are great too.
Grand-moogi Posted - 01/12/2013 : 09:59:33 AM
Could she replace the handles totally? Try going to an op shop and see if you can find an old leather hand bag in the same shade of black and use it to make new handles.
My sister once bought lots of old leather bags and cut them up and pieced them together and made herself a vest. Years ago when she was short of cash and such things were fashionable. She just laid one piece over the other and joined them with zigzag. it looked really good. Since then I have been conscious of the fact that op shops can be a good source of the odd bit of leather that might be required for something.

ikkivan Posted - 01/10/2013 : 5:51:48 PM
I recently was terribly disappointed in the poor durability of handles on a Namaste Monroe bag. I had bought it several years ago (gosh, when it first came out, I think) because I thought it very classy looking, even sort of dressy. But I used it only a few times because it turned out to be way too heavy and firm for my preferences; it went to the top of a closet and was forgotten until October (2012, just a few months ago), when my daughter visited.

Since she has been traveling more and more (airline, mostly) with her husband, I offered her my black Monroe bag and she loved it; because it is so structured, we both thought it would be a good travel tote for protecting laptops, i-pads, e-book readers and such, besides looking really nice.

Well, she was visiting again for New Year's and showed me the bag ... the handles (they are the fat, rolled, padded type, like soft stuffed tubes) were horribly cracked and peeling! I just couldn't believe it. My Newport bag is even older and has probably been abused, but still looks good as new. But the "handles" are flat straps rather than the rolled handles as on the Monroe bag, even though they both appear to be made of the same fake leather stuff.

I think she plans to look for some good quality black tape to wrap around them, or something like that. She may even crochet or knit sleeves to go over the handles.

Has anyone else had such a thing happen? How did you fix it?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
hillstreetmama Posted - 01/05/2013 : 05:50:09 AM
The company "thirty-one" has a small open bag that stands up on its own. It is my "take to work" bag, and holds a few skeins and a couple small WIPs. At least twice a year, "thirty-one" introduces some new fabrics, and dicontinues others. In other words....I have several.

I also like to watch the clearance purses at TJ Maxx. I've bought some great bags that I would never carry as a purse, but make a great knitting bag.

Jan
bananaknits Posted - 12/21/2012 : 11:44:27 AM
I use a Tom Bihn "shopping" bag. I have 2 both the small and the large one. Depending on the size of the project. http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0608.html

And for project bags I use silk shoe bags from China. Really colorful and fairly reasonable to buy. Keeps my project clean & protected.

"Admire Your Work Often"

http://bananaknits.com
donnawatk Posted - 10/08/2012 : 11:21:27 AM
I have a Namaste knitting bag. For most of the time the bag fits the project. I finish a afghan it had its own bag it was one of those bags that looks like a drum. All of my bags have straps that go over the shoulder. Donna
ikkivan Posted - 10/08/2012 : 08:17:38 AM
I probably confuse the terms "knitting" bag and "yarn" bag. I like soft cloth drawstring bags small enough to hold one 50-gram ball of sock yarn that then goes into another larger bag or basket. I usually end up going back to sandwich bags, because so many of the project bags I buy are too large. And I know I can make them myself, but I just don't want to ... when I sew, I'm always thinking in the back of my mind, "Hmmm, I could be knitting instead of doing this."

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Grand-moogi Posted - 10/07/2012 : 06:33:08 AM
But every bag should be washable because bags get carted everywhere and do need to be washed.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe