Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knit Picks Blocking Mats?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/30/2013 : 2:40:56 PM
I need something to help with blocking shawls, blankets, sweaters.

I think I want to purchase one or two sets of blocking mats from Knit Picks: http://www.knitpicks.com/cfaccessories/accessory_display.cfm?ID=80597

Storage is an issue, so I'm thinking these will "fill the bill", because they can be taken apart and stored in a small area when not in use.

Any comments from those of you who have used them? 2 sets would be an investment of about $50, so am wanting to be sure I'm getting what I need.

Thanks,
Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/KnitsforPreemies
www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grand-moogi Posted - 02/01/2013 : 3:28:36 PM
We use the sort you get in a toy store. They are about 24 inches square and we have four of them. They interlock like a jigsaw. They do not have lines but we are gradually drawing some on. Just need to use something that is not soluble in water so it does not run onto the item when you are blocking it.

I knit a hug into every stitch
knits_for_preemies Posted - 02/01/2013 : 09:09:01 AM
Thanks, Donna and Pam.

lucybug Posted - 01/31/2013 : 3:23:17 PM
I have 2 sets of the KnitPicks mats. I found that one wasn't always enough. I kept them in their original boxes at first but that was awkward and they started faling apart. They now live in a canvas shopping bag along with 2 sets of the T pins (one of those $2 bags). I love the mats and have no idea how I got along without them.

Pam in the Colorado mountains
ikkivan Posted - 01/31/2013 : 09:54:55 AM
I have one set of the Knit Picks mats and have been pleased with them; I plan to buy another set, too, for larger items, or those that are odd shaped. I have some of the larger play mats, but they are too big for my needs, and more difficult for me to store ... I seem to have more options with the smaller mats (or at least, for the sort of items I knit).

I have the lace pins (those long U-shaped pins), the T pins (I suggest a couple of sets of those), and the wires and use them all at different times.

I would like to see these mats available with a printed grid on them, but as has been said, rulers work, too.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/31/2013 : 04:36:43 AM
Thanks, Sjanova.

Will check that out.

Barbara

sjanova Posted - 01/30/2013 : 7:47:09 PM
Check around and see if your local toy store (Toys R Us type of store) has the 24" blue (well, mine are) foam puzzle blocks. They fit together pretty much the way these do but are about $20 for a set of four. I have two sets, which takes care of my largest circular shawl nicely when I block it (the Queen Anne's Lace). The blue doesn't come off on anything. There are no lines to block against but I just use a tape measure from the edge if I need that.

Size you'll need will depend on what you usually need to block. If you knit only smaller items, perhaps the smaller foam boards will be enough. But considering affordability, try the toy store. (No affiliation either way and I buy a whole lot of KnitPicks stuff, as well as toys from various sources for the grandkids.)

ETA: Some of the photos on my Ravelry project pages are taken during blocking, so you can see the boards I use. Let me know if you need specific references.

sja

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe