Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Knitalongs
 The Great American Aran Afghan...anyone??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/03/2013 : 9:15:44 PM
I'm usually happily knitting socks - just something about a beautifully turned heel and perfect gusset that I love....and I've never felt the need for mutual knitting support before and until this afghan. Some of the blocks look so challenging that I don't know if I can do this all alone...or maybe it's something about misery liking company, LOL. If no takers, I think I'll spend my winter knitting time making slipper socks instead, the old-fashioned kind with the leather or suede soles. Love these and could use another couple of pair anyway.. :))

Bobbi

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Shalee Posted - 04/10/2013 : 05:16:02 AM
Of course you knit an afghan! Even if it was a smaller one, it was an afghan or you could call it a cat afghan.

I did seem to fly through them, didn't I! But I haven't done anything, to speak of, since surgery. Yes, it went very well and finally, yesterday, I was cleared to drive. I had to go get a blood test, so they had to let me drive! I did find out that after about 20 minutes of driving I was ready to go back home and go to bed! I've managed to get down to just one Excedrin, at night, so that I can sleep better. It really isn't pain from the surgery, it is lower back pain, from my left kidney, I think. Yesterday's test will let us know if that kidney is doing better, now that it is getting more blood. I don't see the Urologist, about the kidney, until next month. I haven't done a google search, on the problem with that kidney, to check the possible fixes. I just figure that whatever has to be done will be done; why worry about it. I do have great, first class doctors, so I just follow orders now.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Grand-moogi Posted - 04/06/2013 : 06:15:30 AM
So the surgery went OK? And headaches settling down? I had to google Excedrin to see what they are for because I was not familiar with them. I do not think I have seen them in Australia. I do hope you can keep going with these blocks and keep the likes of me entertained with your news. You all seem to fly through them.
And no-one has answered my question yet about "Did I knit an afghan?" The squares were about 8 inches square and I did 12 of them.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Shalee Posted - 04/02/2013 : 4:55:18 PM
Just a note to say I am almost ready to start knitting again. Surgery was on March 25th, a week ago yesterday, and I'm feeling much better now. I do admit I ate to much today and am totally stuffed! Only 1 Extra Strength Excedrin today and I have been taking 2, twice a day, until this morning. Now it is just a matter of getting some energy so I don't sleep as much! I did come very close to a good energy level today, so I'll just wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Shalee Posted - 03/14/2013 : 8:34:25 PM
Yes, Grand-moogi, they do. But, they don't always turn out the size you think they should be! Just like the Barbara Selesnick block I knit twice. It called for a size 8 needle, but I was getting gauge with a size 7. To small. So I re-did it with an 8 and darn it, I got another block just like the first! Seems my hands know what gauge should be and make their own adjustment!

Yes, I am tired. More so each day, partially due to stress. I'm having a hard time waiting for surgery! My knitting is suffering, or should I say my "not" knitting.

My book wasn't expensive. I bought it new for $12.95 US. Of course I've had it for a long time and it is getting a bit worn, with use.

Sharon in NW PA

Grand-moogi Posted - 03/14/2013 : 04:28:55 AM
Don't they tell you the sizes of these blocks in those expensive books you are using?

Shalee Posted - 02/28/2013 : 7:08:48 PM
I finished the Barbara Selesnick block and decided it was to small, so there is another pillow! I've started a 2nd one and have one repeat done and it looks much better.

Sharon in NW PA

robinstephanie Posted - 02/28/2013 : 09:19:44 AM
Grand-Moogi, that is the sweetest story. She sounds like a wonderful, sweet little beastie.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Grand-moogi Posted - 02/28/2013 : 05:20:25 AM
Oh Sharon you poor thing. You really must be tired. Please try and get more rest particularly while you are ill.
Reading all your posts, is great. You all seem to be having such fun. And guess what! I discovered that I may have knitted an afghan. I knitted 12 squares to make a rug for a cat that I really loved. One block had her name in it. I never realized that I might be making an afghan. (Was I?) I thought I was just using up stash to make a nice warm blanket for Polly. She was my son's cat. I really loved that cat because when we first got her I was very ill and she would just sit with me for hours. I used to call her my little Polly Nightingale. She had to be put down last year because she had a tumour and when the vet opened her up to remove it, it filled her up so much and tied her gut into knots and he said there was no way he could unravel it.
Poor Polly. We miss her so much. She always remembered me. My son had since married and then we had moved away. Whenever I went to visit them, even if I had not been there for months, I could call out "Polly" and she would come running. I would pick her up to cuddle her and if I tried to put her down she would cling to me. That is why I knitted the rug for her. It was so she could have "Grand-ma cuddles" whenever she wanted. My son said she loved it.

Shalee Posted - 02/25/2013 : 10:29:12 PM
You know you are to tired to knit when you finish the 2nd repeat, of a 3 repeat block, and bind off! Must be time to go to bed!

Sharon in NW PA

Shalee Posted - 02/25/2013 : 5:39:24 PM
Last night I decided to make the Barbara Selesnick block (page 17) as my 4th block. I'm 1/2 way through the 2nd repeat and figure I'll finish that repeat tonight.

Sharon in NW PA

Shalee Posted - 02/23/2013 : 8:52:57 PM
I have 4 blocks done as of tonight. The first in the NOT washable will be a pillow. I just finished the Ginette Belanger block. I was thinking about the Ann Strong block next but decided against it, for now. I don't know which one I'll do next.

How are you doing?

Sharon in NW PA

BobbiSocks Posted - 02/08/2013 : 12:49:16 PM
Finished the Judy Sumner square a couple of days ago and started the Suzanne Atkinson square today - blizzard and seemed like a good day to just cozy in and knit. :)

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by Shalee

The Julie H Levy square it done. It really was an easy knit. Now to decide which one to start next, or maybe something different for a take-along project. Doctor's appointment tomorrow and I really do need something to take along and keep me busy while I wait! So much yarn to choose from. I have lots of left over sock yarn that would be great for long cuffs on very warm double mittens with angora for the inside and sock yarn for the outside. Soft and warm on the inside and strong and durable on the inside! Or maybe EZ's Very Warm Hat using left over yarn from my winter coat/sweater, that is 100% wool, and angora for the inside. That would be cozy.

Sharon in NW PA

Shalee Posted - 02/06/2013 : 10:02:38 PM
The Julie H Levy square it done. It really was an easy knit. Now to decide which one to start next, or maybe something different for a take-along project. Doctor's appointment tomorrow and I really do need something to take along and keep me busy while I wait! So much yarn to choose from. I have lots of left over sock yarn that would be great for long cuffs on very warm double mittens with angora for the inside and sock yarn for the outside. Soft and warm on the inside and strong and durable on the inside! Or maybe EZ's Very Warm Hat using left over yarn from my winter coat/sweater, that is 100% wool, and angora for the inside. That would be cozy.

Sharon in NW PA

BobbiSocks Posted - 02/01/2013 : 7:15:40 PM
Sharon,

Well now that I've had a little food, I wanted to comment on your socks. Yes, I can imagine that kitchnering several pairs at a time must be completely daunting. I'd want to get that last pair out of the way too...but how satisfying it must be to have done all that work!!

Congrats on completing the Hannah Burns square - I know it gave you a little trouble at the beginning. I like the Julie Levy square too and almost chose that one to knit next.Maybe three more after this one, then I really need to get back to my sewing shop...after I frame the blocks, of course. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Shalee

By the way, I'm dow to only one pair of socks that still need kitchnering. I think I'll do those before I start the next square.

Note to self: No more than ONE pair of socks in the kitchner pile, from now on!

Sharon in NW PA

BobbiSocks Posted - 02/01/2013 : 6:22:15 PM
Changing the number sts CO - great idea Sharon! I'd want to do the same thing were it not for the fact that I'm going to frame all the blocks I make.

Yesterday I ordered 7 - 15.5" X 15.5" frames from JoAnn Fabric.com as they were having a one-day 60-percent off sale on all their frames online, plus free shipping, so that was much better than paying full price when I'm ready to frame these! :)

I just finished the row on the Judy Sumner block that finished up the big spider...YAY!!

About 6 or 7 rows back I suddenly found that I'd crossed a cable the wrong way down 5 rows below. In all my years, this is the first time I've ever messed up a cable! WAHH! So I took out some DP needles and some stitch holders, secured all the other stitches, raveled down to the culprit, and reworked those rows - then I put everything back onto the main needle, and all well. Ahhh, I make it sound so ridiculously simple, LOL! That I missed supper and hub felt compelled to bring me a glass of red wine - "Here, I think you probably need this...!" while I was performing surgery on my knitting, I won't go into. ;-) Was it Shakespeare who wrote, "All's well that ends well,"?

All is now well!! :) Now for a late supper!!

Bobbi

Shalee Posted - 02/01/2013 : 3:22:00 PM
By the way, I'm dow to only one pair of socks that still need kitchnering. I think I'll do those before I start the next square.

Note to self: No more than ONE pair of socks in the kitchner pile, from now on!

Sharon in NW PA

Shalee Posted - 02/01/2013 : 3:17:39 PM
I just finished the Hanna Burns square. I've decided to go with the Julie H. Levy next but plan on making one change. To facilitate connecting the squares I'm going to change the CO to 62, like the Hanna Burns, and then, on the last row of garter stitch I'll increase to the 76 stitches. I think that will make a smoother transition with no ripples in the pattern or border.

Sharon in NW PA

BobbiSocks Posted - 01/31/2013 : 9:47:19 PM
Started the Judy Sumner block yesterday, a fun pattern that's keeping me on my toes what with all the charts. Am taking this one slow and easy and am enjoying the "journey".

BobbiSocks Posted - 01/29/2013 : 11:30:34 AM
Have finished Dagmara's square and will proceed to block it...just so so pretty!! :)

I have no idea which block to make next, but am sure I'll find something I absolutely love over the next few days. I am also wanting to design and knit a block of my own which I'm sure will be enjoyable.

Bobbi

BobbiSocks Posted - 01/28/2013 : 8:14:04 PM
Almost finished with the Dagmara block - just a few more rows to go. I don't know what block I'll be working on next. I have GAAA and also The Great North American Afghan book, and just so many gorgeous blocks to choose from.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe