Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Lace Forum
 old shale pattern question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 01/15/2013 : 9:49:32 PM
Has anyone ever knit (or seen) versions of the feather and fan or old shale lace patterns made with decreases other than k2tog?

I guess it wouldn't be the genuine thing, but as long as the knitter is consistent, would it really look that much different if another decrease is used, either slip one, knit one, psso, or perhaps ssk?

Although I love these patterns, I have such a difficult time with k2tog (arthritis and other hand problems) that I find myself passing up patterns that have numerous k2tog or similar stitches.

Just wondering what others might do ...

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mapgirl Posted - 01/25/2013 : 3:31:10 PM
I just finished the Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl pattern by Sarah Bradbury doing just what JaymeKnits listed. I do three left leaning decreases, the K1/YO increases and then three right leaning decreases. For me, it's about shaping it to lay nicely and it seems natural to have half go one direction and the other half go the other.
jaymeKnits Posted - 01/21/2013 : 8:50:35 PM
I've used/ created a symmetrical version that uses k2tog and ssk. multiple of 17 sts.
ssk 3 times, (yo k1) 5 times yo, k2tog 3 times.

It won't help your hands but is an alternate that uses both. if k2 tog is too tough on your hands doing it with all ssk would look the same, just leaning the other way, not much different in the final result.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
ikkivan Posted - 01/21/2013 : 09:02:53 AM
I have now tried BOTH of these methods suggested and am very excited about the idea of knitting lace in the future without such a struggle. Even if a "different" method produces slightly looser results, who would know as long as I'm consistent throughout the pattern?

Nancy, I was actually thinking of a scarf or shawl pattern, but will remember your great tip if I decide to do this with a baby blanket.

Thank you all again!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
NutmegOwl Posted - 01/20/2013 : 6:44:17 PM
Yes, Donna, you definitely CAN knit lace.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Grand-moogi Posted - 01/20/2013 : 09:32:01 AM
This is a happy thread. It is so sad when a disability interferes with your ability to do something you love doing. Now Donna (ikkivan) can knit some lace which she could not have done without this forum. I love that about this forum. How many times has that happened? Something that was not possible or was unduly difficult has been made easy by all the good souls who are members of it.

I knit a hug into every stitch
NastiJ Posted - 01/18/2013 : 6:37:14 PM
The only way I have ever altered F+F is to Kfb rather than yo, so as to have a less lacy effect. I felt it to be preferable for a baby blanket not to have so many holes for tiny fingers and toes to get caught in. It worked out fine for me.

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
ikkivan Posted - 01/17/2013 : 08:49:35 AM
Oh, wait ... I did it! One of those things that I couldn't "see" in my mind, but when I started playing with the needles and yarn, finally realized what to do (for some reason, I was trying to put the new stitch over on the right needle before passing the second stitch over, and was making it harder than it is).

Wow, Carolyn, that was SO easy, thank you very much.

Thanks to all of you, I may change my way of thinking about lace. I've never really read up enough about lace to know there are these tricks because I just figured I could not do it. Now, I'm thinking perhaps I CAN!

ikkivan Posted - 01/16/2013 : 9:53:44 PM
Carolyn, is there a video showing this? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring it out. I'd really like to see this.
Thanks!

Carolyn Posted - 01/16/2013 : 8:32:47 PM
Here's an easy way to do a k2tog: Lay the yarn over the left needle from front to back. Then, with the right needle, (pass the next stitch on the left needle over the yarn) twice. Similarly, it is a great way to k3tog, which can be quite exasperating.
ikkivan Posted - 01/16/2013 : 6:26:24 PM
I do know the differences in right-leaning and left-leaning decreases (and increases, for that matter), but hadn't realized it would make a difference since only the one is used in the particular patterns I have. But I was not familiar with the KRPR decrease at all, so I will be eager to try that one for certain; it does sound as if it will be much easier for my hands.

Thank you both so much for your suggestions ... I do still want my finished item to be recognizable for the lovely pattern that Old Shale is.

NutmegOwl Posted - 01/16/2013 : 10:21:44 AM
Donna,
The issue is the direction that the decrease leans, which is relevant in Old Shale. ssk and slip 1, knit one, psso both lean to the LEFT, the opposite direction from k2tog, which leans RIGHT. You need another RIGHT-leaning decrease easier on the hands.

You might try KRPR (Knit, Return, Pass, Return) which comes out a little looser than k2tog, but actually closer to the actual tension of ssk and is executed thus: Knit 1, return knitted stitch to left needle, pass the next stitch over the knitted stitch, slip to the right needle purlwise.

HTH!

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Kade1301 Posted - 01/16/2013 : 04:13:27 AM
I don't think I've ever used anything else but k2tog, but I don't see why you shouldn't. You are knitting to have fun, aren't you? Not to produce an exact replica of something. So what does it matter if your knitting looks slightly different from everybody else's (in my book that's called individuality)? I'd get out yarn and needles and just try out the different possibilities. Then pick the combination that's easiest to knit and gives the best look (or offers the best compromise between the two).

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe