Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Hi and Introduction

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/02/2013 : 10:48:34 PM
To start with, since registering a few days ago and the acceptance I received this evening, I have already forgotten my password(!) - I am going to take a wild stab at it and hope my post goes through.

I started learning how to knit when I was 5 and didn't learn how to purl until I was 8 or 9 after becoming sooooo sick of garter stitch. My mother, aunt, and grandmother all had a hand in my early learning, and everything else I learned myself. When I was 11 I knit my first sweater, a snowflake cardigan named Dancing Boys and Girls from a vintage Scandinavian knitting pattern book...I still have that cardigan somewhere. I like knitting socks and worked them on 4 needles for years until I fell in love with magic loop and now only knit them with that. Every few winters I knit and felt Swedish mittens and slipper socks, the kind with the leather soles you sew on afterwards; every winter I at least a few pair of socks, which I've already done for this winter. Sometimes I make my own knitting needles and - well, I don't know if yet if you can post pictures here...of course, I don't even know if this is even going to post, which it won't if I got my password wrong! :((

On New Year's Day I started working on The Great American Aran Afghan, and for anyone else working on this too, I'm still on my first block, it being the one that starts on page 46 with cables running up its sides and a tree. I'm only up to row 17, so I have a very long way to go. I do other things and only knit a little while in the evening, but I'm pretty sure I can commit to at least a block a month. I love knitting though and have read The History of Knitting.

Let's see - what else? I live in the foothills of the White Mountains in New Hampshire. It's below zero outside right now, a real cold snap. I live in a rural area by a lake which of course is completely frozen over now and covered with about a foot of snow. I have an organic garden every summer and a little flock of hens - Buff Orpingtons...just the sweetest hens and they keep me supplied with large brown organic eggs. I play the Celtic Harp and paint in oils.

Well, there's more I could say, but I'm going to stop here because I really don't know if this will even post if I got my password wrong!

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/15/2013 : 10:45:11 PM
Hi, For anyone who is interested, we have moved down to the Knit Along board and some are working on blocks from The Great American Aran Afghan. I ordered a copy of The Great North American Afghan, and I am sure there are some blocks in that book that I will want to knit as well. I haven't been here very long, and I thought that any chat about the work should probably not be in the introduction board? So anyway, we're down in Knitalong... :)

Bobbi

"I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul."
Shalee Posted - 01/08/2013 : 03:17:37 AM
I have had the pattern booklet for many years. I just never started knitting the blocks, but now I'm working on the block that Bobbi has going. When I started it I decided to do the purl stitches the most common way, not the Eastern Crossed way. As a result I got rowing so I frogged 12 or 13 rows and redid them my way. Now they look so much better! I'm about 1/2 done with the first block and only 3 days into it!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 01/07/2013 : 9:30:20 PM
U r most welcome, BobbiSocks!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/05/2013 : 8:48:06 PM
Hi Judy,

Well you know, my first thought was that the cabled edging looked like it would be a breeze after all the work of the blocks. Please keep us posted on what you end up doing regarding your edging as I'm really interested in what you decide to do!

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by jtamsn

Some of my favorite blocks were the cabled ones., I love cable patterns! The celtic knots are fun! Sounds like you and I have a similar approach!
judy

BobbiSocks Posted - 01/05/2013 : 8:44:51 PM
Hi Grandmoogi, and thank you for your nice welcome!! :)

Well I am new and didn't know if I was allowed to post in this forum about progress on the afghan blocks or if it was supposed to just be kept for introductions. I live in a rural country area and am just so happy to have some other women to chat with about knitting!!

Why are they called afghans...good question! I think it came about due to Afghanistan having a long history and being a major center of wool and beautifully intricate carpet production. I am not familiar with the climate of Afghanistan, but my guess would be that they enjoy a Meditarranian sort of climate.

Wow, in Australia! My favorite Celtic harpist lives there, in the Adelaide area...Siabhan Owen, just a lovely girl with the voice of an angel!! I have one of her CDs, and she is among my Facebook friends.

I love how you knit a hug into every stitch...that is such a sweet thought!

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by Grand-moogi

Hi Bobbisocks, Welcome from Australia. I loved reading your first post. You sound like a real livewire! I am looking forward to hearing about your progress so please do not move to some other area and only discuss it with your hopefully soon to be found knitting buddy. I have never knitted an afghan - I wonder why they are called afghans - why not americans or englishmen or something like that? I reckon Afghanistan would be the last place you would need one. It is hot there isn't it? Keep up the good work and please keep filling us all in. So glad you joined the forums.

I knit a hug into every stitch

BobbiSocks Posted - 01/05/2013 : 8:29:13 PM
Hi craftymjw and thank you for your nice welcome! :)

I guess I know I could do it, and it's just a matter of having enough time as I have some pressing matters going on and keep my knitting for pleasure and relaxation. I am sure there's a lot I will learn from the others here, and it's so nice to have a place to go to to talk about nothing but knitting, which is one of my first loves.

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by crafty1mjw@comcast.net

Welcome to the KF, BobbiSocks! U sound like a successful knitter to me! Looking forward to reading your posts here in the forums; we certainly could learn a lot from u!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!

jtamsn Posted - 01/05/2013 : 12:11:56 PM
Some of my favorite blocks were the cabled ones., I love cable patterns! The celtic knots are fun! Sounds like you and I have a similar approach!
judy
Grand-moogi Posted - 01/05/2013 : 10:34:38 AM
Hi Bobbisocks, Welcome from Australia. I loved reading your first post. You sound like a real livewire! I am looking forward to hearing about your progress so please do not move to some other area and only discuss it with your hopefully soon to be found knitting buddy. I have never knitted an afghan - I wonder why they are called afghans - why not americans or englishmen or something like that? I reckon Afghanistan would be the last place you would need one. It is hot there isn't it? Keep up the good work and please keep filling us all in. So glad you joined the forums.

I knit a hug into every stitch
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 01/04/2013 : 9:42:21 PM
Welcome to the KF, BobbiSocks! U sound like a successful knitter to me! Looking forward to reading your posts here in the forums; we certainly could learn a lot from u!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
The more, the merrier!
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/04/2013 : 7:49:53 PM
Judy,

I seriously wonder how many blocks will hold my interest. I do think a few of them would be nice to frame afterwards...assuming I knit at least 3 to 5 blocks which I think is manageable for me. There are a few of the harder blocks that I don't even like, just way too fussy to the point that they don't even look good, IMHO. So anyway, I really don't know if I'll ever end up with an actual afghan, not that I need another one. But I'd like to give a few of the blocks I like a go.

jtamsn Posted - 01/04/2013 : 5:12:47 PM
One of my issues with the Afghan is that the blocks are designed by different people with different guages, and it is a bear to put together. I did enter into it with the idea that I was doing it for the experience of trying different techniqes and stitches. I guess from that standpoint it was interesting. I did pick and choose the blocks I did, there were some blocks that I couldnt figure out or the techniques I just thought was way beyond me.
judy
robinstephanie Posted - 01/04/2013 : 10:35:37 AM
I can see how a person would only want to do this once, and shy away from the edging once it was finished! Individually some of the blocks look really challenging, some not so much, but the sheer size and scope of the thing is intimidating. I can barely get my brain around the time investment of a sweater. Well, I've only been knitting two years. Gimme another year or two and maybe I'll dive into something bigger, with pleasure and excitement--in addition to intimidation!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/04/2013 : 07:56:38 AM
Hi Donna,
Great!! :) I am still only on my first block - I started with the block on p. 46, the one by Ada Fenick. If you start with that one too, we'd be able to keep tabs on each other's progress. Yes, glad to help if I can! We can move over to the knit-along board, and let me know when you get started! :))
Bobbi

donnawatk Posted - 01/04/2013 : 05:03:33 AM
Bobbisocks, Thank You I'm been looking for a Afghan pattern for my self. I think I will try this one for my self. I hope you don't mind if I call for help if I get stuck. Donna
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/03/2013 : 8:39:47 PM
Hi Neighbor Judy!! :)

I highly doubt I'd ever want to make it ever again, too, and a few of the blocks I don't even like. Hmmm...I tend to like a challenge, but the patterns are so very intense and I'm not at a place where I want to get myself into something I dread going to every day. I've even thought that if I don't want to move forward with it after completeing a block or 2 or 3 that I could frame whatever blocks I have finished - I probably wouldn't want to turn them into pillows after all the work. I guess I'll have to see how I feel about it after I finish the first block.

All that work...maybe add a crocheted scalloped border and be done with it?

Bobbi

jtamsn Posted - 01/03/2013 : 4:48:52 PM
Welcome to the forum from next door in Maine! Hope you enjoy all the forum has to offer. I did the Great American Aran Afghan 8 years ago as a wedding present for my son and daughter-in-law. In fact it is still sitting in my closet waiting for the edging. I just havent been able to bring myself to complete it. I would never do it again, I must say, unless I chose 1 or 2 blocks to make into an afghan at a time. Good luck to you!!
judy
BobbiSocks Posted - 01/03/2013 : 3:07:57 PM
Hi Robin Steph,

Thank you for your welcome!! Well it's supposed to be up to 5-degrees tonight...I only start worrying when it is 25-below.

Yes, look up the afghan pattern and also refer to my post to Donna (above)...it is not real hard when you break the rows down in this way, yet it is still probably one of the most ambitious projects I have ever worked on. I am just so determined to do this and am still praying for an online knitting buddy re this project!!

Bobbi

BobbiSocks Posted - 01/03/2013 : 3:02:06 PM
Hi Donna,

The patterns scared me too - what I do: Using little square post-it notes I block off pattern so I can only see the row I am working on. Also and on post-it notes I write down the directions for 2/1 LPC, 2/2 RPC, (based on pattern by Ada Fenickthat begins on p. 46) etc. etc., and post the notes in front of me on p. 52 (along with the post-it papers used to block out other rows except the row I am currently working on) so I don't have to keep flipping back in the pattern book to know what these abbreviations mean. These few extra steps take a minute to do after every row but are a real life-saver and probably the ONLY way I am able to work on this block. I am sure I'll have to do the same for every block I knit. But, it makes the block you are working on a breeze to knit, and I'm sure I could not knit this afghan without such added steps.

Bobbi

quote:
Originally posted by donnawatk

Hi BobbiSocks, Welcome to KR from Chicago. I have the Great American Afghan book, and a Scandinavian sock book. I have them both in my to do pile.When I picked up the afghan book I will say it scared me. Im a better knitter now I will look at it again Donna

Donna

robinstephanie Posted - 01/03/2013 : 10:52:58 AM
Hi bobbisocks, welcome to KR from Northern California. It's 45 degrees outside right now, and last night it got down to 38 or so--a real cold snap, ha ha! We're so wimpy. Your place sounds heavenly, and has a winter you can really knit for. Hope you stick around, good luck wtih the Afghan. I'm going to go look it up on Rav.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
donnawatk Posted - 01/03/2013 : 08:01:35 AM
Hi BobbiSocks, Welcome to KR from Chicago. I have the Great American Afghan book, and a Scandinavian sock book. I have them both in my to do pile.When I picked up the afghan book I will say it scared me. Im a better knitter now I will look at it again Donna

Donna

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe