Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 2002-2012: A decade in review

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 12/19/2012 : 7:32:27 PM
I set about to write my year-in-review retrospective, as I do every year, when I noticed I'd been doing it for a full decade. So I re-read each year, starting back in 2002, and was struck by just how amazing our story is. One decade, so much change.

So this year instead of a year-in-review piece, I offer you a decade in review. I'd love to know what your high points of the year were, and where you hope to go in the coming year?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bananaknits Posted - 12/23/2012 : 09:08:31 AM
Great job Clara, a fan here!
You were there before Ravelry and still going strong. Love the knowledge you share. Hope to see in Long Beach.

"Admire Your Work Often"

http://bananaknits.com
mhyarn Posted - 12/22/2012 : 12:03:35 PM
Clara, as one of your earliest readers, I appreciate the effort and objectivity you have maintained in all these many articles. You have helped my grow my business and learn more about our knitting world as it grew.

I am slowing down our yarn business and going more into the unspun fiber and finished wool fiber art but will continue to use you as one of my guides. I wish you great success with your new yarn venture and am anxious to see/try it.

Happy New Decade.

Barb from Marr Haven Wool Farm
stashmaven Posted - 12/20/2012 : 8:23:12 PM
The decade in review was a lovely walk thru knitting history for me. I've been knitting since 1955 but the last decade has expanded my repetoire of skills and my stash! I now attend at least 2 fiber events a year and take classes whenever the mood strikes (thanks Craftsy). As a regular reader of Knitter's Review I want to say Thanks and Keep it going.
Knitasha Posted - 12/20/2012 : 6:19:14 PM
In 2012 the balance between knitting with millspun yarn and knitting with my own homespun tipped decisively in the direction of homespun. For the first time, I had the skill and confidence to spin for a specific knitting project instead of throwing fiber at my spindles and wheels and hoping for the best.

Not that I stopped buying commercial yarn. I don't spin to emulate millspun yarn, and I find it more appropriate for some projects than homespun. And vice versa. There is a place in my life for both.

This was also the year than I converted the lone bedroom of my 3-room apartment into a dedicated fiber studio, where I can spin, weave, sew, prep fiber and store all the equipment, supplies and materials. It was a scary move, but with lots of planning and the help of a good space designer, I now have a now wonderful workroom plus a comfortable living/sleeping area.

2013 may be the year I supplement knitting with weaving. To be determined.
churchlady Posted - 12/20/2012 : 1:49:04 PM
Getting an iPad and later an iPhone this year made a difference in my knitting with all my podcasts and audiobooks and other apps, but the iPhone is so great for keeping my Ravelry projects up to date with real-life photos and it's always with me! The biggest little knitting news is my cousin's baby who's due any day, and I got the newborn-size package off in time. I can't wait to find out if it's a little girl or boy!

Live, Laugh, Love, Learn
PostLeslie Posted - 12/20/2012 : 11:54:07 AM
I feel so lucky to have joined the party in 2009. I was away from home for work and bored in my hotel at night. I'm equally grateful to the LYS in New Milford, CT and YouTube for getting me hooked. 2012 I knit my first and second sweaters and made several toys for new babies of friends and family. I got involved in my local spinning guild and tried wet felting (after a number of knit-and-felt projects) For 2013 I want to knit a couple blankets, another sweater and maybe free-form some monster/toys. Thank you all so much for being there, both on the ground in classes and LYS and on the screen through the internet. Happy New Year Knitting to All!
Catlover Posted - 12/20/2012 : 11:02:37 AM
What a fun article that was to read. I've been knitting since the 1950's but somehow reading the descriptions of the changes in the past ten years seemed amazing. I decided to knit socks because of the self-patterning sock yarns when previously I had thought them too boring. The beautiful new lace patterns enticed me to take up lace knitting again. 2013 will indeed be another adventure and who knows what it will be?
sbl519@yahoo.com Posted - 12/20/2012 : 09:33:42 AM
Clara:

As someone who spends her days working for a policy advocacy nonprofit that works on solutions to climate change and global warming, thank you for including the drought issue in your perspective! I live in MN and have relatives in NE. The drought is unbelievably bad. It needs to be said that beyond this wonderful creative activity we all love, there's work to be done to keep this creative economy humming for many years by addressing the issue and telling the US gov. to address climate change. As a community, we have a great personal perspective that legislators will take seriously - thank you for the idea!

I'm primarily a lace knitter, loving the intricate detail, not to mention that working with beautifully hand dyed wool is heavenly. The past decade has been both wonderful to participate in with the explosion of "fun", and tough to watch as three of my favorite LYS' closed, including one that is closing next week. The economy matters. Being able to support my LYS, local dyers, spinners, sheep ranchers/farmers, and creative types matters. The pay off is using great yarn from someone I might have met and then being able to share the result with a great community like this one via technology that expands my horizons and knowledge. I got married for the second time earlier this year and moved to a new house. I'm working on afghans in the new color scheme, knitting one in about 30 earth tones colors/shades, and crocheting the other in brights (for my studio.) Since I live in MN, I'm using washable wool. Yes, it was VERY costly. But I'm loving the process, and have already been asked by my kids which one they really want to have left to them when I die - the best kind of complement. The three afghans that I knit previously were offered to and quickly claimed by my daughter and step kids. The new hubby is rumbling about handknit wool socks. He's heard they are warm and comfy. Maybe I make him a pair in 2013.
Sheila
Stasher Posted - 12/20/2012 : 09:03:28 AM
I feel that I have finally practiced double knitting enough to know how to produce an acceptable product. In 2013, I plan on knitting a double knit project which is nice enough to give away. I'd also like to steek a real sweater, not a practice piece, and practice some more of EZ's sweater-making techniques--enough so that I can begin designing my own sweater patterns.
dothead Posted - 12/20/2012 : 08:33:18 AM
For me personally, it has been quite a decade. I went from knitting garter stitch scarves to knitting 2 stranded colorwork. It is all because of this forum that I have been able to broaden my knitting horizons.

Vicki, the Constant Lurker(who sometimes stops lurking and actually posts)
Lanea Posted - 12/20/2012 : 06:57:41 AM
Great review, Clara!

I've spent more of my knitting time this year on my wool-along afghan than any other knitting project, and it is starting to feel like a member of the family. I've particularly enjoyed doing more dyeing for that project. It seems like it has actually kept me out of the loop of a lot of trends--afghans never seem to be the "it" thing, do they? But that--I'm fine with.

I agree with needler that phone and tablet apps for knitting are all the rage, and they've definitely been a boon for me. I primarily use my ipad to store and view knitting patterns, and I love it for that. No lost pages, no missing notes, no paper cuts.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
raven_girl@mac.com Posted - 12/20/2012 : 06:49:42 AM
I love Craftsy! It's made it possible to take classes without having to use up vacation time at work and travel all the time. The piles of knitting magazines have dwindled due to digital copies. This year I (finally!) mastered the dreaded kitchener stitch, learned to crochet Amigurumi, and knitted a sweater for ME. Ten years of knitting and it never happened. Alpiles of knitting magazines have dwindled due to digital copies.

Thanks Clara for the retrospective.
needler Posted - 12/20/2012 : 06:38:26 AM
Thanks for a great review, Clara! Fun reliving it all. One thing I'd mention for this past year is the role that smartphones/tablets are starting to play in the knitter's world of tools. The one App, that has set my knitting world on end is "KnitCompanion." So far only available for iStuff, Android will follow next. No, not affiliated...just a fan.
Ceil Posted - 12/19/2012 : 7:50:22 PM
Just read it, and what a decade!

I learned to knit socks in 2005. I learned to knit in 1963(!) and knew one decrease, and was afraid to increase. Now, nothing stops me. I'm still knitting socks, tripled my knitting speed in 2007. An eye surgery in 2009 brought me around to sweaters: I'm still designing my own, with various increases and decreases. I love Moebius knitting and the >sculpture< that comes with texture knitting. I ain't done yet, and hope no one else is, either. I also teach knitting now. Hard to believe all this has happened. Hey, I need to get back to my needles......

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe