Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Stuck on a Pattern
 Shaping hoodie in pattern

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JenG Posted - 12/08/2012 : 08:40:37 AM
Hi,

I'm working on child's hoodie pattern from Perl Grey, and am about the start shaping the hood, but am a little confused. I have three separate sections that are joined together to create the hood, and each piece is 16 stitches for a total of 48 stitches (all done in stocking stitch). According the pattern,

quote:
Work entire hood by beginning each row with a slip st [this helps to keep the opening a bit smaller around the face].
With K side facing you, continue with the working yarn:
Dec row: K14, SSK, K2tog, K12, SSK, K2tog, K14.
P1 row.
Dec row: Dec row: K13, SSK, K2tog, K10, SSK, K2tog, K13.
P1 row. Etc.

My question is, the pattern is asking me to slip a st (purlwise, I guess) at the beginning of each row, correct? But when I work through the pattern in my head, the addition doesn't add up--I always seem to have one less stitch than I should by the end. If I slip the first stitch, is that part of the K14 (meaning I slip 1, then knit 13)? Am I missing something? TIA for any help!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 12/09/2012 : 8:38:20 PM
Somehow I'm okay with the wording, because it already says to slip the first stitch of each row. So, k14 would be sl 1 & k13.

You don't say what the addition actually is, but it looks like each dec row loses 2 sts.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
JenG Posted - 12/09/2012 : 07:04:21 AM
Unfortunately, no, Janet! I looked on the company's website and Ravelry, and nothing. They've apparently updated the pattern, too, which is frustrating, so I've emailed them to see if I can get it since I've already paid for it. Thank you for the pattern info--I wondered that, and since it seems like I'm just supposed to slip the first stitch, why would they just work that into the pattern! So frustrating sometimes. Thank you again for your help!
Janettoo Posted - 12/08/2012 : 9:12:27 PM
I think that this is carelessness on the pattern writer's part. I think that the first row should be "slip one, knit 13...." rather than "knit 14...." since that way the hood would be symmetrical and the decreases would line up nicely.

Are there errata posted anywhere?

Janet in TN

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe