Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Movies / Articles / Celebrities / Books / News
 Knitting and the Olympics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Milinda Posted - 07/27/2012 : 4:29:08 PM
Those of us who have been here at KR for a LONG time will remember we used to do the Knitting Olympics. We'd pick a project, cast on for the opening ceremonies and work on it whilst we enjoyed all those lovely young athletes doing their things. Is anyone doing anything special for watching the Olympics?

I am working on a summer cardi for a good friend using some incredibly wonderful French lace weight pima cotton held triple strand. Since I'm designing it myself, it should be fun and interesting.

M L
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rwats2 Posted - 12/09/2012 : 7:13:32 PM
I recorded the opening and closing Ceremonies so that I can really think of warm thoughts while knitting this winter.
Grand-moogi Posted - 08/05/2012 : 03:37:53 AM
Hey guess what! We are not getting a lot of coverage here because Oz is really bombing out. Well we only watch ABC or SBS and I think one of the commercial stations has the rights so they might be covering lots of it.

I knit a hug into every stitch
ClimberKnits Posted - 08/04/2012 : 12:50:30 PM
Most of the Olympic athletes are really good people. It's the not so nice ones that make the news.

Have to give a shout out to my son's college friend, Kara Patterson. She competes in the women's javelin this week! Go Kara!! Boiler Up!! (She's another really awesome person representing the USA.)

Milinda Posted - 08/03/2012 : 10:35:33 PM
How about Missy Franklin, the high school senior from CO on her third Gold medal, broken workd records and she is just the sweetest girl. I am proud of how well they are handling themselves and the pressure.

M L
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 08/03/2012 : 2:53:31 PM
Again, Scotgirl, you go, girl, you go!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
scotgirl Posted - 08/03/2012 : 2:18:01 PM
Hasn't Michael Phelps done well, I've really enjoyed the swimming, and I am really looking forward to the track and field events which started today.
Grand-moogi the booties and mittens are for a baby, I'm knitting the matching cardigan now watching the heptathlon
Milinda Posted - 08/02/2012 : 6:55:07 PM
Congratulations to Michael Phelps for his 20th Olympic medal!

And Gabby Douglas for taking the gold and being the first African American to do it. She is adorable. The entire American women's gymnastic team were beautiful. A real team, no divas there.

Congratulations to all the kids who are competing. I'm having a blast! And I'm doing a bit of tinking, too, as I lose my concentration easily while watching.

M L
Milinda Posted - 08/01/2012 : 2:50:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Greyling

I made myself laugh at myself, yesterday. I had never seen the white water rafting competition before, and I was transfixed.

So I was listening to the commentators, reporters, etc., and then DH came into the room and he watched, and I started explaining the ins and outs, like I was an expert!!

DH asked me how long I had watched the canoeing, and I said, "Oh, about 15 minutes."

We now have a new joke between us.

:: I know what you mean. I was watching the same sport and really getting into it. But that is part of the fun of the Olympics. Pretty soon you are spouting all the talk, such as, "Wow, he bobbled that landing and he stuck his." I'm quite in the know about fencing these days. LOL

M L
Milinda Posted - 08/01/2012 : 2:48:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mjhealy

Sports in general agree with knitting. You can listen to the commentators and pick your head up for the replay if you miss anything.

I'm enjoying the Olympics too. The highlight for me will be seeing Oscar Pistorius, the double leg amputee, sprint. Monumental, epic moment for people with differences. My son is a congenital arm amputee and Oscar competing is exciting and inspirational.

:: I agree completely with you about Oscar. They call him The Blade Runner and I can not wait to watch him compete. No matter what happens, he is an inspiration with great spirit.

M L
Grand-moogi Posted - 08/01/2012 : 06:04:20 AM
Oh Scotgirl, ae those mittens and boottees for the dolls?

I knit a hug into every stitch
mjhealy Posted - 08/01/2012 : 04:06:32 AM
Sports in general agree with knitting. You can listen to the commentators and pick your head up for the replay if you miss anything.

I'm enjoying the Olympics too. The highlight for me will be seeing Oscar Pistorius, the double leg amputee, sprint. Monumental, epic moment for people with differences. My son is a congenital arm amputee and Oscar competing is exciting and inspirational.
Greyling Posted - 08/01/2012 : 01:11:24 AM
I made myself laugh at myself, yesterday. I had never seen the white water rafting competition before, and I was transfixed.

So I was listening to the commentators, reporters, etc., and then DH came into the room and he watched, and I started explaining the ins and outs, like I was an expert!!

DH asked me how long I had watched the canoeing, and I said, "Oh, about 15 minutes."

We now have a new joke between us.

Milinda Posted - 07/31/2012 : 2:06:31 PM
I absolutely LOVED the segment with the Queen, Bond and the corgis. She has a marvelous sense of humor.

Congratulations to all the young athletes who have given it their all so far.

M L
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 07/31/2012 : 1:57:07 PM
Scotgirl, you go, girl!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
scotgirl Posted - 07/31/2012 : 12:51:05 PM
I'm loving the Olympics, we get everything live being in the UK, and because it's the on the BBC we don't have any adverts. Today I managed to knit a pair of mittens during the Archery contest, and a pair of bootees during the swimming!
mrssuem Posted - 07/30/2012 : 1:09:33 PM
What with soooooooooooo many commercial interruptions, I'm able to work on a new lace shawl in between events. Way to much down time.
purlthis Posted - 07/29/2012 : 3:45:58 PM
Maybe I'll break down and start some socks!

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
NastiJ Posted - 07/29/2012 : 1:48:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Grand-moogi

Down here in Oz it is a bit difficult to watch the Olympics live as it is daytime in UK when we are in night time. There is about a 10 hour difference. I do not know if I will get to watch much of the Olympics.

It's 8 hours earlier here in Phoenix than it is in London, but NBC is time delaying most of the coverage to throw it into prime time. You can watch live and replays on your computer if you have fast enough carrier(s).

Nancy J.

"Learning how to knit was a snap.It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
anderknit Posted - 07/28/2012 : 6:34:00 PM
AuntyNin, what a lovely sentiment! I can do no more than second it.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
AuntyNin Posted - 07/28/2012 : 5:43:20 PM
Olympic watching is prime knitting time for me, and coincidentally I did cast on one of Mmario's shawl patterns this afternoon.

Gotta love the sense of humor on a reigning monarch who'll cooperate with an illusion showing her supposedly parachuting out of a helicopter in company with James Bond...

My wish for the athletes is that each of them will accomplish a personal best, and none of them get hurt.

AuntyNin

Everything happens for a reason, except possibly football. --- Terry Pratchett

http://home.earthlink.net/~lradiga1/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe