Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 question on thrums

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 12/05/2012 : 08:07:41 AM
Most of the patterns I have for thrummed mittens call for knitting in the thrums WITH the regular yarn, and then knitting into the back of that stitch (thrum and yarn together) on the following row/round to lock the thrum into place. However, on the pattern I am using (thrummed or stuffed mittens by Joan Janes), the instructions call for dropping the regular yarn and just placing the thrum over the needle and pulling it through. Then, according to the instructions, when the main yarn is pulled across the back of the thrum to knit the next stitch, it will hold the thrum in place. No mention of any special methods for the stitch on the following round, so I am assuming the thrum loop/stitch is knit just as all the others.

Have any of you experience with this pattern and/or method? How does it hold up?

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
caroj Posted - 12/12/2012 : 8:38:02 PM
I learned this technique from Kelly Norby at Le Mouton Rouge Knittery in Morris IL. "To place thrums insert right needle into stitch below stitch on left hand needle and wrap thrum. Knit stitch on left hand needle, pull thrum over the top (similar to binding off)". This gets the thrums inplace firmly.

Also, Techknitter has a pattern for adding sort of thrums after the fact. "Stuffed mittens" in Interweave Knits Holiday 2012.
Lanea Posted - 12/07/2012 : 06:11:15 AM
I prefer the second method too.

When I have added thrums to lighter weight mitts, I've used pencil roving or unspun style yarn, as used in Cowichans. It's lovely to work with.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
ikkivan Posted - 12/06/2012 : 11:55:18 PM
I'm also thinking thrums (perhaps trimmed all one short length when finished) to line the earflaps of winter hats.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Jessica-Jean Posted - 12/06/2012 : 6:01:51 PM
No that sounds like a great idea! Thrums where you need them!
texas44 Posted - 12/06/2012 : 11:01:01 AM
i have made one pair of mittens using the first method knitting in thrum with the worsted mitten yarn. I like my mittens but have found the thrum has to be just the right size 3 in piece or the mitten becomes too bulky, ie boxing glove! I'd like to try making mittens with fingering weight and a thrum. Is that possible? I also would like to make convertible fingerless gloves with the top only thrummed.
spicema59@yahoo.com Posted - 12/06/2012 : 07:37:35 AM

This is how I learned from a canadien knitter...using a 3in. thrumb,
fold it over your needle, give it a twist & knit it in place of the yarn.On The next row knit as before & the yarn will lap over the thrum & will be caught snug. caught.

After your mitten is done,turn inside out, spread out the thrumbs ends. They will felt with use & add that extra layer of wool to give the wearer more warmth.
spicema59@yahoo.com Posted - 12/06/2012 : 07:29:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ikkivan

Most of the patterns I have for thrummed mittens call for knitting in the thrums WITH the regular yarn, and then knitting into the back of that stitch (thrum and yarn together) on the following row/round to lock the thrum into place. However, on the pattern I am using (thrummed or stuffed mittens by Joan Janes), the instructions call for dropping the regular yarn and just placing the thrum over the needle and pulling it through. Then, according to the instructions, when the main yarn is pulled across the back of the thrum to knit the next stitch, it will hold the thrum in place. No mention of any special methods for the stitch on the following round, so I am assuming the thrum loop/stitch is knit just as all the others.

Have any of you experience with this pattern and/or method? How does it hold up?

molly-o Posted - 12/06/2012 : 04:57:00 AM
i've used both methods to set thrums into mittens, slippers and (very warm!) hats. after trying both, i've settled on the second method - using the thrum alone - since it seems to work better for me. the only thing i do to ensure that it's soundly in place is to give it a little tug after i've knit it on the next row. and they've always held up beautifully!
have fun!

keep calm and carry yarn
nkadams Posted - 12/06/2012 : 03:15:50 AM
Pleading ignorance, I will have to google the word "THRUM" to see what one is.

Kathy Adams

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe