Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Carbon Fiber Needles

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chris Posted - 11/19/2012 : 1:30:43 PM
I love knitting socks on DPNs, but have a tendency to break the smallest wooden ones. I don't like the cold of metal, now that I'm getting on in years (Is it really possible that I'm approaching 60?? I was in my 40s when I joined here!), and wondered if the carbon fiber needles would be the best way to go.

I know there are Blackthorn and Karbonz, the latter almost half price of the former. Has anyone tried either brand? Have any opinions either way on how they do and if one is better than the other? DH offered to "make" me some, but I don't know about that. The rods he showed me weren't exactly standard knitting needle sizes.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all!
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Riley Posted - 08/14/2013 : 10:50:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jkluender

I wonder how these compare to Signature needles. It sounds as if they both are made from the same materials.

Signatures are made from aluminum not carbon. Newhouse needles are carbon as well.
Bonstrick Posted - 04/20/2013 : 4:35:14 PM
I love the new DP Karbonz. For me they are the best. Bamboo drags and Signature are too pointy for me. I constantly break the wooden ones. I've broken Blue Sky rosewood, Lantern Moon rosewood and Surina wooden DP needles. Webs sent out a notice they are going to be stocking an interchangeable set as well. I may add them to my Addis set. my Knitters Pride set, my Knit Picks set and my Dyak Craft set.

You can never have too many needles or too much yarn.
quiltbeader Posted - 03/20/2013 : 07:57:52 AM
I just bought some Karbonz 24" circulars in sizes 0 and 1 because I tend to break my beloved Knit Picks wooden size 1s as I knit socks. And I knit a LOT of socks using two circulars.

At first I really liked them except for a slight drag of the stitches on the carbon fiber part of the needles. Then I read somewhere to wax them. I must be the only person in the whole world who still has a tin of floor wax!

So I pulled it out, put a tiny dab on each needle and went to work spreading the wax and shining the carbon fiber part of the needles. What a difference. My stitches now glide just as they should. I don't know if I need to do this once in a while or if it's a one-time thing, but I do know that it made these my favorite sock needles.
chris Posted - 03/15/2013 : 08:37:38 AM
Signatures are made here in the town I live in! I can't buy them here, though! I have to order them on line and have them shipped. How silly! (Though I really do understand why.)

quote:
Originally posted by jkluender

I wonder how these compare to Signature needles. It sounds as if they both are made from the same materials.

kkknitter Posted - 03/01/2013 : 09:28:36 AM
I knit a lot of socks and use Blackthorn at times especially on the heel flap and gusset. I don't like them very much because of the drag and the metallic sound. Plus the sharp points hurt my palm at times. Right now I'm trying out 2-at-a-time socks on the magic loop using Addi Turbo. For me it has a nice flow, but I'm still switching to DPNs at the heel.
degold Posted - 03/01/2013 : 08:42:07 AM
I seem to be in the minority about the circular Karbonz. I usually do my socks on 2 circular addie turbos. However, since mine are very long, I decided to buy 2 16 inch Karbonz on the recommendation at my LYS. I have to say, they just don't work for me. (Hate may be too strong a word, but...) They really drag once they make it over the metal tips. I've had to seriously loosen up in order to get my stitches to move on the carbon fiber section. The tips are also a little too pointy for me.

I do love Addis...but their sizes are a bit confusing. I've always used a size 2 addi, but its really almost a 3. I never realized the difference until I started knitting with the Karbonz. Knitting is complicated!

Debbie
serenestitcher Posted - 03/01/2013 : 06:14:07 AM
I love, Love, LOVE my Blackthorns and have them in all sizes. This is an Indy company, woman run and USA produced and the quality is outstanding. I knit lots and lots of socks, and with cats and grandkids, I used to pick up the knitting and have to rescue end stitches. Now with carbon dp's this never, ever happens. The stitches stay where you put them until you move them. I also love the sharp points...but don't sit or step on one...your body part will lose. I am a fast knitter, so the less slippery feature doesn't cost me time, given that I am never having to reknit the ends. I prefer control over speed with socks.

serene stitcher
dpmarshall Posted - 02/28/2013 : 3:29:51 PM
I loved my first set of dp BTs - but subsequent ones I ordered had flaws, literally cracks along striations. I also found them too grabby except on the smoothest yarn. But, overall, I liked the carbon fiber - I've snapped too many wood dpns. So, I'm currently knitting socks using a Karbonz circular and I'm in serious love. Beautifully smooth and I really like the tips, nicely pointy without being lethal like Signatures and the shininess makes them stand out better in the yarn. The cord is really nice too. To me, the carbon fiber in the Karbonz feels good in my hands, warm and strong. This is my first successful attempt to knit socks on circulars, (I've always knitted them with dpns) and I swear, I think it's going so well because of these needles. Anyway, sorry to go and on, but I've been thinking about these needles the past few days and how happy they've made me - so it was serendipitous to read your review today, which I always enjoy.
weeza Posted - 02/28/2013 : 2:05:52 PM
Ditto Brentonian--and I'm 65! I just purchased my first Karbonz dpn set. Sometimes I need, sometimes I want to try out something new. I always have a pair of socks on needles and these may be my new favorites. All the grip and finger feel of wood/bamboo with the super-smooth tips of the best metal. The stitches glide and my fingers are happy. Yes, a bit pricey (my US 2s were $14.95 at my LYS) but I have no regrets. Next will be some cables for lace--to duplicate Clara's snag test.

Weeza
Brentonian Posted - 02/28/2013 : 12:55:30 PM
Someone mentioned trying the Kollage. Well I was given a pair of 2.0mm to try and just couldn't use them. The points were like the points on sewing pins, they split the yarn every single time. No way are they of use to me.
Brentonian Posted - 02/28/2013 : 12:50:20 PM
I am in love with my Karbonz needles! I use them exclusively now for knitting socks. I even went down to 2.0mm they are so comfortable. I have for ages been using Knit Picks wooden dpns but find they do tire my right hand, these Karbonz are so light I don't even feel them in my hands. The tips sometimes do have a snag feeling where the join is but this is so infrequent that it doesn't bother me. I bought my Karbonz needles from Handomsomefibers.com in Montana, cheaper than my LYS and free shipping!!
geniaknitz Posted - 02/28/2013 : 10:25:55 AM
I hated the Blackthorns I bought. I found the odd scraping sound they make really unpleasant, but what totally put me off was the sharpness of the tips - it seemed like I stuck my fingertips with them almost every round. After ending up with the tip of one stuck a good half inch into the side of my hand, I gave up and returned them. (I should add they were very sweet about accepting them back and sent a full refund.)

I also have a couple of pairs of Kollage square needles which I ordered online, and the metallic sound of those put me off, too. Wish I could return those, but the seller won't take them back.

Guess I'll be sticking with wood and Signatures!
jkluender Posted - 02/28/2013 : 06:10:03 AM
susanh Posted - 11/29/2012 : 6:30:24 PM
Today it is said that 60 is the new 40! I would not say that I feel 40 but....
chris Posted - 11/29/2012 : 10:17:55 AM
Thanks for your feedback! I really wish I could see these in person before buying, but our LYS doesn't carry them. Three votes for Blackthorn: I think I'll ask for those for Christmas...at least one set, anyway.

Off to check on the Kollages.
sward Posted - 11/29/2012 : 07:34:28 AM
I love the Blackthorn needles. But I love the square set I have better - Kollage.

Sharon in Canandaigua
mfox@umbc.edu Posted - 11/29/2012 : 04:54:44 AM
I have both. The carbonz have more drag then the blackthorn. There are grooves in the BT; whereas the carbonz are smooth. I like the BT's better...the sox stay on the needles; enough slide to move quickly. Have abandoned all my other dp's.
Shelia Posted - 11/21/2012 : 10:52:08 AM
I like the Blackthorn needles, but only have a o me, they are even grabbier than wooden needles, so I have to knit a bit looser and check the guage carefully. I haven't used the Karbonz because I haven't seen them for sale locally, I'd be interested in them if they are similar to the Blackthorns.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe