Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 If I go to Rheinbeck, where should I stay?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
robinstephanie Posted - 10/28/2012 : 09:02:52 AM
OK, the Rheinbeck lust cannot be denied. I am going to Rheinbeck. Already over, you say? Not so! It will take me two years to save up for it!

Since Clara mentioned accommodations book up in advance, I've started planning. I'm a book production editor--all we do is plan and make schedules. Two years ahead of time? No problem! It's what I do.

So: where should I (try to) stay? I'd like to stay in Rheinbeck itself—is that overly optimistic? Is the town booked for years to come? Should I stay outside of Rheinbeck? If so, where? Looks like there are lots of other small (???) towns surrounding it. Eeek! I see Woodstock on the map, how cool.

Down-home and casual is my preferred feel. Locally-owned motel/hotel/travel lodges are great. I like B&Bs but they tend to be above my price range, and are sometimes far too precious for me--but if you know of an affordable, salt-of-the-earth B&B and don't plan to stake it out for yourself, please do share.

Oh experienced Rheinbeckers, please share your hard-won wisdom with me. I know I could look on TripAdvisor, but I find I have more luck with personal recommendations than with websites.

Thanks!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
purlewe Posted - 11/14/2012 : 11:52:58 AM
Well start looking for a B&B now. And who knows.. bring your bikes and ride to the fairgrounds? Biking is something tons of people do around there. (PS to everyone else, I know she bikes a ton.)

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
robinstephanie Posted - 11/14/2012 : 09:37:07 AM
Thank you, Minh and Amarula. Hopefully I'll make plans early and have a good selection of places to stay. Walking distance would be ideal, but I imagine them's pricey digs.

It would be nice to stay in a locally-owned joint, instead of a chain hotel--I'm just a little sick of chain hotels right now. Maybe what I'm thinking of doesn't exist. My boyfriend and I went to Lambtown last year, and couldn't find a local hotel to stay in, only chains. (Of course, Dixon is a very small town.)

Robinsteph

Jeanine Posted - 11/07/2012 : 09:07:47 AM
Oh, that's exactly what I'd like to know, too! I had the Vermont Sheep and Wool Festival down pat but now it's moved and I feel I might be ready for Rhinebeck. When the stash is down. And I've saved up. And it doesn't seem like such a very long drive.
Amarula Posted - 11/05/2012 : 09:13:00 AM
I would just warn that I don't think the Courtyard has rooms available close to the festival any longer - it was quite full!
minh Posted - 11/04/2012 : 7:18:29 PM
The only time I went to Rhinebeck, I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Kingston. They had rooms available even close to the festival (that wasn't the case for the Hampton Inn) and the hotel is just across the bridge from the fairgrounds. If you were OK with having roommates, you might be able to split a room with double beds with someone to lower the costs.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
robinstephanie Posted - 11/03/2012 : 08:06:48 AM
Thanks, Purlewe, this is great advice, and I will take it all. Staying longer sounds like a superb idea, as long as I am going that far. I've received a few PMs on the topic--thanks folks!--with more specific stuff, including a referral to the Rheinbeck group on Ravelry--doh! Didn't even cross my mind! I've been mining old posts for all kinds of information

Robinsteph

purlewe Posted - 11/02/2012 : 12:55:53 PM
I have tended to stay with family or friends.. so I am not much help. If you want I would recommend (if you can) staying on the same side of the Hudson. poughkeepsie, red hook, hyde park. If you can't Kingston and Woodstock are good. If you can.. take a few days and stay there for longer than just rhinebeck. Go to Olana to see Frederick Church's house. Visit Woodstock and the Catskills. That time of year is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe