Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Needles and Security
 Take off and Landing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gerstperson Posted - 10/16/2012 : 09:32:44 AM
So, we all know that on US domestic flights knitting needles are officially off the list of restricted items, but did you know that you may be ordered to put your knitting away when you take off and land?

The first time it happened to me on US Air, I had a mere request to put my knitting (socks on size 1 KnitPick Harmony dps) away and after it was explained that it was for "my own safety" and just shrugged and kept on knitting without consequence.

However, the second time on United Express(and this was during a sock knitting competition-- Sock Madness), the flight attendant responded that it was an "order," so I put it away (disobeying an order can get you thrown off the plane). When I asked her why, she told me my needles were dangerous, and I might hurt someone. I asked her if she would make sure the other passengers around me didn't use any pens or pencils (yes, I am a wiseguy), but she wouldn't relent, so I put it away until I got the signal that electronic items could be used. Okay, that was fine, until landing, when she came back and told me I had to put them away again, until we were safely inside the terminal. Made me want never to fly United Express again.

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rwats2 Posted - 01/03/2013 : 1:01:14 PM
In all the time that I have flown since 911, I Have never had a problem with my knitting, or tatting needles. The next time that I do fly it will be with SW. I also have learned to carry fingernail clipers in my bag. I only start new projects at the gate waiting to get on a plane.
Babsy Posted - 01/03/2013 : 08:50:56 AM
I fly often, both within and outside the United States. I have never been asked or told to put away my knitting at any time. Generally I fly United, Delta or Southwest, so at least on those, it has been okay. In fact I get into great conversations with the attendants and other passengers because of my knitting. However, if I were asked, I would immediately comply. I can understand the safety issues, and am still amazed that we get to take such sharp, pointed objects on a plane. So the inconvenience of putting it away for a few moments would be just that--an inconvenience. I do only take circulars so I don't drop one and have to go looking for it under people's feet in rows behind me, or worse yet, sit on it!!!
Sloknitr Posted - 10/24/2012 : 1:00:41 PM
I never knit during take off or landing - for my own safety
gerstperson Posted - 10/20/2012 : 11:44:32 PM
It was annoying to me because it was during Sock Madness and I was racing against the clock and needed those extra minutes during takeoff and landing. Thankfully it didn't cost me the round!

Sharon

Chinese Proverb: Man who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt woman who is doing it.
Shalee Posted - 10/19/2012 : 7:27:27 PM
I've been asked to put my knitting away on take-off and landing. I usually only knit w/ circulars on the plane. Take-offs are generally quite smooth, but I've been on some flights where I'd swear the steward or stewardess was landing the plane!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

ClimberKnits Posted - 10/19/2012 : 08:41:11 AM
Knittingrunner, I 've seen those gate agents in Charlotte be insistent about carry on bags, too. :-) However, as a Non-Revenue flyer, who always has to board last, (if at all) I really appreciate them insisting that those who get on first limit the space that they take up in the overheads. You would not believe the way I've seen people agrue about what they're carrying. I know that baggage fees stink, but two is two. Agents try pretty hard to get people to consolidate into two bags. Some folks just don't listen to the information, (or think that they don't REALLY mean it.)

As for landing/takeoff with needles out, I'd really rather have to put them away than have a hard bump jab myself or someone else nearby. My own annoyance is not worth the injury. It's not like driving where you can see the potholes in the road comming ahead. Most flight crews and airport staff really do try to make things go as smoothly as possible, but just like everyone else, sometimes they have a bad day, too. I've learned that a smile and a calm demeanor go a long way to getting what I want/need. A little bit of empathy for their situation helps, too.
Shelia Posted - 10/17/2012 : 07:20:47 AM
I've had it happen also, only on USAir, and finally got the flight attendent to admit that it isn't a rule, it's just something that some pilots and flight attendents think is a good idea. And, as you've said, they are in charge on the aircraft. I've even flown on one small plane where the pilot had the flight attendents sit for 3/4 of the 2.5 hours, turns out he had a flight once where there was sudden turbulence and a flight attendent was thrown sideway violently and her back was broken - so he was ultra sensitive.

Oh, I did have a United flight attendent in First Class ask me to put the needles away for take-off, but then came over during the flight and whispered to me that across the aisle was the United CEO (I looked up his photo later and it really had been him) and they were all being very cautious about all procedures so that no one got critisized. I never would have imagined this scenario!

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
anderknit Posted - 10/16/2012 : 5:40:21 PM
Sharon, that's ridiculous. I fly a LOT - sometimes multiple times a week, all different airlines, and have NEVER been asked to put away my knitting. On the other hand, a flight attendant has the power in that situation, so what can you do?

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe