Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Gadgets
 No DPNs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stitchellen Posted - 05/17/2012 : 06:12:46 AM
I haven't used DPNs for years for anything other than "holding" or swatching. I use three 16" circular needles instead. Two are the holding needles and the third is the working needle. This method works for any number of stitches that can fit on the needles, from the tiniest baby socks to the largest sleeves.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
chris Posted - 10/29/2012 : 09:49:56 AM
DPNs for me, too. I tried the two circs and got totally confused. I'm just old fashioned...and I love the way people look at you when you're knitting on 4 DPNs. Total awe!
Kade1301 Posted - 10/28/2012 : 06:51:20 AM
I, too love DPNs - I find them faster than pulling the circs (when I'm using two) through the knitting.

Happy Knitting, Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
Shelia Posted - 10/13/2012 : 3:23:32 PM
I love Jane's bility to express exctly how I feel about DPNs and the alternative methods - I do show the others when teaching, though, as I know that everyone has a different comfort method. Mine is just those little needles, so easy to fold into a compact bit that goes into a little ziploc in my purse or tote. I love all kinds, wood, metal bamboo and the cool carbon ones; for socks and sleeves (when they get small), gloves, baby hats, and just for swatching. I guess I've just used them for so many years they feel like an extension of my fingers sometimes.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
ikkivan Posted - 10/13/2012 : 2:55:08 PM
No dpns for me, either, when it comes to knitting, although I do use them for making I-cord. I knit English lever-style and Magic Loop is all I ever use, from fingers on gloves and everything bigger. Tried the two circulars and also was irritated by those jangling ends.

I guess I'm clumsy, because I am forever dropping dpns when I use them, although that is certainly how I first learned to knit in the round. This is one case where the "way I first learned" did NOT continue as my favorite.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Lanea Posted - 10/12/2012 : 08:47:33 AM
I love the way a sock on DPNs turns into a catfish pupped once you turn the heel.

Yes, yes I do entertain small kids on a regular basis. Why do you ask?

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Jane Posted - 10/12/2012 : 07:46:38 AM
I love using double pointed needles. That beautiful little collapsible square of a sock, the lovely wood in my hands, the rhythm of moving from one needle to the next -- call me crazy, but I love them. I've never warmed to the clackety, dangling ends of two circulars that I always seem to have to push out of the way, or the loopy cable that sticks out with Magic Loop. My knitting style (sort of lever-style) is more suited to DPNs, I guess!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
azblueskies Posted - 10/12/2012 : 07:12:19 AM
I finally tried two socks on two circulars (had been doing them one at a time on one circular). And I used Judy's Magic Cast On for Toe Up for the first time...and I'm going to try the Sweet Tomato Heel for the first time. Two socks on two circulars and Magic Cast On are definite winners and I'm hoping for the same with the STH. Something tells me I'll always have socks on the needles for travel knitting.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to learn, so little time.
Shalee Posted - 10/11/2012 : 1:53:26 PM
I rarely use my dp needles anymore. But today I was having problems kitchnering the toe of a sock, off of the waste yarn. So I pulled out my dps and transfered the stitches to them and did the kitchner. One sock down, 3 left to kitchner.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Margie Posted - 10/09/2012 : 6:23:25 PM
I use DPs or two circs. It's easy to keep track when the needle part of each circ is a different color. I admit, tho, I've sometimes knitted all sts onto one circ.

Two work or me. A basic theory of mine is, "If it works for you, it's right. I'd never have thought of using three.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe