Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Empire

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 10/10/2012 : 6:36:09 PM
This really should go under "embarrassing habits when admiring yarn." Because when Jill handed me a ginormous hank of her new Empire yarn, I immediately began cradling it in my arms, bouncing slightly, patting it on my shoulder in an attempt to make it... well, burp. Because we do these things when we find a yarn that speaks to us.

This week I review that yarn, made from New York-raised Rambouillet and spun in New England. Good stuff.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
terryknits2 Posted - 10/12/2012 : 06:00:22 AM
Must jump in here... I just bought a couple of skeins of Jill's Angora/Silk lace-weight recently at the Finger Lakes Fiber Festival. This is an incredible yarn - also unique to Jill, and I can't wait to use it!!!
Luann Posted - 10/11/2012 : 08:42:15 AM
I too made a beeline for her shop after reading the review. Those giant skeins are even bigger than Chris's from Briar Rose. But she has lots of other lovely yarns as well. And I love the reversible cowl pattern. Resisting urge to fill my basket! Must hold off and stick to yarn diet for one... more... month...

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
savannagal Posted - 10/11/2012 : 08:38:41 AM
Sadly, I didn't see any of this yarn in her shop. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
NutmegOwl Posted - 10/11/2012 : 06:52:14 AM
That's quite a mental picture you paint, Queen Bee! Sounds like great fun and a great source for Rambouillet. OTOH, I also am deeply intrigued by the angora/silk laceweight on her site, (and surprised there is any left, knowing your love for the bunny ;))

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Ceil Posted - 10/11/2012 : 06:51:01 AM
This yarn sounds great, although I'm VERY concerned about the size of the skein. I bought a skein of Popcorn Merino by Karabella a couple years ago that was almost 1,000 yards for half price because it had become a tangled mess. A knitting friend with one of those large ball winders helped me untangle the thing halfway, and then I took it all home and sprawled it out in one room to finish the job, starting to hand-wind a new ball without cutting the yarn. Then I went back to my friend and wound it all up on the ball winder. All told, it took about 4 days to resolve.

If the Empire skeins are sold to yarn shops, the handling they receive by customers could cause the same tangling to happen, as nice as it is to have one huge skein for a seamless sweater. Maybe that won't happen with this smoother yarn, but it's something to be cautious about. Just thought I'd mention it.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe