Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Favorite Yarns
 Cascade 220 Superwash warning/question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ikkivan Posted - 10/09/2012 : 07:57:56 AM
The Cascade 220 Superwash wool "family" of yarns (worsted, sport, etc.) have been some of my favorites for ages, especially for baby items. However, I have usually stuck to fairly light and/or natural colors and recently had an unexpected unpleasant surprise when I made a balaclava from a deep jewel-tone color ... there was so much excess dye in this yarn that it stained my bamboo needles, stained my fingers and bled like crazy when I washed it. I had to wash and rinse it over and over until the water ran clear. This had not happened with previous colors I've used.

Now my question for those of you who may have used this yarn for colorwork: what to do about dye bleeding/running when using deep colors with light colors? I bought some bright/deep colors in sport-weight to be used in stranded colorwork and now am hesitant. I did use some of these colors for Christmas ornaments, but I don't "wash" these ... just a light spray with cold water to help shape them.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NutmegOwl Posted - 10/10/2012 : 07:51:36 AM
I've never had that happen with Cascade 220 before. But when I had it happen in colorwork to a stranded Christmas stocking made from Lamb's Pride(causing massive hyperventilation), I used Carbona Color Run Remover and had very good luck with it. All the gory details here.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Grand-moogi Posted - 10/10/2012 : 04:48:45 AM
I would contact the manufacturer and ask them. They really ought not be selling yarn like that.

I knit a hug into every stitch
purlewe Posted - 10/09/2012 : 9:01:02 PM
Just me, but I wouldn't use superwash for stranded knitting. I like my wools to be grabby for that and superwash definitely isn't grabby.

But it is interesting since I see a lot of baby colorwork projects. I wonder what people use for that.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
EmEm Posted - 10/09/2012 : 6:49:38 PM
I used a Cascade 220 Superwash in navy and it did not dye my fingers, but it did dye my bamboo needles. It ran quite a bit when I washed it, but I also just kept washing and rinsing until it ran clear. Lucky for me, I knit a scarf that was just that 1 color. It will be interesting if someone has the solution for using multiple colors.
ClimberKnits Posted - 10/09/2012 : 2:28:56 PM
I used worsted weight in a deep purple heather for a massive sweater. No excess dye here. Just a little purple in the water. Maybe yours was a bad batch?
ikkivan Posted - 10/09/2012 : 09:40:07 AM
That's a good idea; just didn't think of it since I'd not had the problem before. But good insurance, I'd say, for future projects.

I mostly worry about recipients for gifts I make. That's one reason I ALWAYS wash my finished projects (at least items that I know will be worn and washed) before giving them away ... if there are going to be any problems, I want to know about it first!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
robinstephanie Posted - 10/09/2012 : 08:29:42 AM
I know I've read somewhere—here, maybe?—about washing the yarn by itself in a vinegar bath of some sort, after a few rinses to remove some excess dye. The vinegar apparently acts to set the color in some way. There's gotta be someone here who remembers more about this than I do.

Maybe the skein you bought had unusually excess dye. Seems odd for such a popular yarn used often in colorwork to have such a big problem with excess dye.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe