Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Lopi

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 09/05/2012 : 5:44:41 PM
In less than two weeks I'll be boarding a plane for Iceland. It's a life-long dream that began when I donned my first Icelandic sweater - or rather when someone put it on me. I don't think I was even old enough to be able to dress myself yet.

In honor of Iceland Month (so I've declared it!), I thought we should look at the yarn that sparked it all: Lopi.

Here you go!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
terryknits2 Posted - 09/14/2012 : 06:41:11 AM
I love knitting with Lopi, but I have to admit I haven't made anything from it in nearly 20 years. When my kids were young - 80's and early 90s - they all received a new Lopi sweater made by me each year or so, and I also made a few for me and my husband. They wore well, and when they were done with, could be passed on or felted to make bags and mats and such. But since then there have been so many new yarns on the market to keep me busy, plus the fact that we don't seem to wear such heavy sweaters anymore, that I just don't see me going back to Lopi. However, I have also discovered the lighter weight Iclandic yarns which I love and plan to work with much more!!
KnittingKittens Posted - 09/07/2012 : 3:07:50 PM
All the pictures I have ever seen of Ieland are breathtaking! I live in the Northeast USA --we have cold winters so I can wear this wool. IMHO, the tropics are for visiting only!
Nanci One Stitch, why not try fingerless mitts or mittens? I am going to knit a cowl for myself out of this lovely lopi! It will work up quickly! If you do not mind the robust crunchiness of lopi next to your skin try a scarf or cowl.
Gibson Girl Posted - 09/07/2012 : 12:08:22 PM
A PS. If you're driving watch out for those wonderful sheep. They cause more auto accidents than other cars. They love to be out on the main highway on the wrong side of the fence!
Gibson Girl Posted - 09/07/2012 : 12:04:09 PM
I just returned from Iceland and I think it's the most beautiful country I've ever seen and I've traveled a bit. The geography feels so primitive, as if this is the way the earth looked as it was forming. And, for course there's the knitting! Some it is wild and crazy and much is more traditional. For crazy, check out Iceland's lady Gaga at http://www.gaga.is/pages/Gallery

There was even a nice yarn bombed bicycle that served as a sign for a yarn shop and gallery. Of course I had to get some Lopi but was a little confused about the exchange rate (my first day)so I thought I was paying $240 US dollars. Seemed high but what the heck. When I checked my bank statement at home found my treasure was only $24. It's lace weight ( I live in the desert) and a heavenly blue. Now the hunt for a pattern. Something a bit GaGa I think!!

Check out this site http://www.gaga.is/pages/Gallery
It had some of the wildest thing I've ever seen.
TinaEinars Posted - 09/07/2012 : 06:00:12 AM
Welcome to Iceland Clara.

Are you going to hold a class or will you just be here on vacation?

Autumn begins unusually early this year, so it's starting to get colder but the weather is beautiful as is. You know what they say about the Icelandic weather "if you do not like it then, go in and get you a cup of coffee and the weather changes, probably in the meantime."

I look forward to hear about your trip to the my country.

Huge regards from Iceland,
Christine aka Tína
akmtngrl Posted - 09/06/2012 : 11:21:06 AM
I would like to know the technical differences between the Alafoss Lopi we buy in the States (or in Iceland) and the less processed rolls of unspun fiber that Icelanders knit their sweaters with, using both ends of the roll to produce a gentle twist. My experience with finished products show them to be similar, though one must be very gentle with the rools to keep the fiber from breaking while knitting. In Iceland, the rolls sell for a very small amount of money, and it's amazing how much will squash into a suitcase. Beautiful country; can't wait to visit for a fifth time.

Gail in Fairbanks
One Stitch at a Time Posted - 09/06/2012 : 07:02:35 AM
Knitting Kittens, when I saw that Clara's newsletter was about Lopi, you came to mind immediately given your love of this yarn and I knew you would post...

Maybe it's time to give Lopi a try? It would be the first time I would be knitting with a yarn of it's "personality". What would be a good first project? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nanci
KnittingKittens Posted - 09/06/2012 : 06:11:47 AM
My all time favorite yarn. The love started when I saw all the colorways. The love grew when I took a class to make a lopi sweater and I finished it in two weeks and six days. My quickest sweater to date. Lucky Clara to travel to the source of my own little slice of heaven! Have a great time, fill your suitcases as your Grandma did and if you can fit a sheep into your bags, I can provide it with a loving home!
KnittingKittens
Tgz Posted - 09/06/2012 : 02:31:21 AM
I cannot knit with Lopi. I have tried, and the initial scratchiness is perfectly tolerable for me, but for some reason this specific yarn causes me a skin reaction while knitting. No other wool yarn causes this reaction to my skin (though yarns with more than 40% angora do too, in a smaller degree). I do have a skin condition (eczema) and when I have a flare-up I sometimes have to avoid knitting with wool, but this is the first yarn that makes me feel itchy and break into red patches after 1 hour or so of knitting.

Anyone else has this experience? I have knit with other loosely spun 100% wool yarns with no problem, and I have knit with coarse/scratchy yarns (similar to Dale of Norway) with no problem.

my knitting blog: http://knittingthrough.blogspot.com
my stash:
http://knittingthroughstash.blogspot.com
Sloknitr Posted - 09/05/2012 : 8:48:14 PM
My first big knitting project was Sally Melville's Einstein Coat, knit in Lopi Bulky. I washed it in the machine on delicate cycle and lightly blocked it before wearing it. I love that thing! Every winter it is my morning dog-walking coat. It is so warm. It is a little scratchy directly on my skin, but a cashmere cowl takes care of that problem. I would love to visit Iceland. Have a great trip Clara. I can't wait to hear all about it.
drmel94 Posted - 09/05/2012 : 7:51:04 PM
At the Álafoss factory store, you can get enough lopi, whether the Álafoss or the Léttlopi, to knit a lopapeysa for about $30. Of course, it requires traveling to Iceland, but there are far, far worse hardships in life. I'm just looking forward to your review of the Ţingborg plötulopi.

"Hatred does not end by hatred; hatred ends by love. This is the eternal law." - Buddha

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe