Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Embarrassing habits when admiring yarn
 I'll confess... I rearrange yarn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
minh Posted - 07/09/2012 : 6:31:26 PM
Do you ever go to a yarn store and notice that all the skeins are neatly arranged by type and color except for *one* skein that was taken aside by a knitter and put back on top but not with its buddies? Well... I usually put him back with his buddies because I don't want it to be lonely and because I'm obsessive-compulsive. I also move needles back to the right shelf if I see that they are with the wrong size needles.

I wonder if salespeople notice that I do that and if so, if it bothers them. I'll need an intervention if I start refolding clothes at a department store...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
karen@shallweknit Posted - 10/24/2013 : 05:35:44 AM
We need a bunch of you to follow some of our customers around and show them how to treat the yarn properly! Not only do they put them away wherever, but some of them are "yarn mashers". They just shove the balls in any old way or carry it by a few strands or ...you get the idea. Most frustrating thing is yarns like Noro and they will try to pull out the centers so they can see all the colours, then once they decide on colour will go and pull a fresh ball to buy.
Luckily most knitters are wonderful but there are a few that we have to tidy behind.
Bulldog Posted - 10/10/2013 : 05:01:50 AM
I must admit that I'm something of a yarn snob. No... I AM a yarn snob. I grew up learning to knit and crochet with either Coats & Clark thread (usually size 10) or Red Heart. Now I don't even go near any of those. Most of the yarn I buy is online, since I'm handicapped and it's difficult to go to a yarn shop anymore, but when I do...

One of my favorite yarn shops in the Bay Area is Article Pract in Oakland. Those of you who have been there will attest to the fact that it's small, crowded, and requires you to to step in the storeroom/classroom area to wind your skeins into balls after purchasing them. But when I go in there, the sheer volume and types of exotic yarns literally take my breath away. So what's my embarrassing habit? I fill up my basket with every single yarn I want, then mentally total up the hundreds of dollars I would have to spend, put most of it back, and then hide in the corner next to the store window where the sock yarn is and begin a ritual. I rub it on my face (who doesn't?), smell it, run my fingers all around it as if I were exploring a new lover, and taste it. Yes, you read that right. Once I'm sure this is THE ONE, I taste it. Just a touch to the tip of my tongue. But that one small taste tells me everything my other senses can't convey - the taste of lanolin left in that my fingers can't quite detect, the way it will splay out when on the needles... things that I can't even put into words. I would never do that to a skein I wasn't going to purchase. But when I'm sure... well, then I must look like the village idiot, crouched down in the corner, with a skein looking like it's about to have a bite taken out of it.

All indie, all the time.
Luann Posted - 09/23/2013 : 12:03:16 PM
I was so very proud the other day when Little Luann, now 6 1/2, started reshelving books with me in the bookstore. "Here Mom - this one should be on that shelf by you. Why don't people put them back in the right place?" If only he would take the same care with his stuff at home. Although... I'm afraid the apple didn't fall too far from the tree there either.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Margie Posted - 09/21/2013 : 7:04:01 PM
As the third poster said, I also re-shelve books at the library. People are forever asking me for information because I look official around there.

Margie and Mimi, Hearing Dog

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Grand-moogi Posted - 09/09/2012 : 07:17:48 AM
Ah Ha! Linda, you must be related to stseraphina. Have a look at her post in this section. It is the topic before this one.

I knit a hug into every stitch
Linda1679 Posted - 09/07/2012 : 2:36:53 PM
As soon as I get a skein in my hands, I put it close to my face and smell it. I love the smell of new yarn, a fresh, clean smell sometimes with a little lanolin. Heaven.
Margie Posted - 09/04/2012 : 4:16:02 PM
Can you hear me laughing out loud??? I instantly thought --library workers! Well, I've been a volunteer for 30 plus years, put books back in right place, and face the shelves, and as a Friend of the Library who works with donated books, I have returned books to their rightful libraries on more than one occasion. Once I even mailed a book 3,000 miles as it had been listed as missing and they were delighted to have it back.

Yes, I've corrected spelling (in pencil) in library books and even put in an occasional comma or quotation marks where needed.

Now as I'm out and about so much with my hearing dog I am all the time picking up garbage in the parks. Sometimes *right*next*to*the*can. Are the idiots unable to see garbage cans?

I love (thumbs down, down, down) the "whaling of the ambulance siren."

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

Consuelo Posted - 08/04/2012 : 9:32:12 PM
Hilarious!!! Never occurred to my happy-to-be-disorganized mind!!

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
hillstreetmama Posted - 08/04/2012 : 6:32:40 PM
I went to Hobby Lobby with DD2 today where we made a quick stop at the dishcloth yarn. I had to chuckle as she put all the rogue skeins in their place while I was selecting colors. It must be hereditary!

Jan
Grand-moogi Posted - 07/28/2012 : 06:25:16 AM
Oy! You are meant to be going there to sort the stash. It sounds like you might make it worse!!!

robinstephanie Posted - 07/27/2012 : 08:08:57 AM
Party at Gibson Girl's! I'll bring a record player and everybody can bring a few records.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
dschmidt Posted - 07/27/2012 : 04:53:16 AM
Joining the majority in the straightening yarn quest

Donna in VA

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up to "Want to Make Betty Happy?" and be an Honor Roll member.
Grand-moogi Posted - 07/24/2012 : 03:43:20 AM
Um Gibson Girl? Could 'one' of us sort it or do you think it would take a few? and would you provide refreshments?

Gibson Girl Posted - 07/19/2012 : 09:48:56 AM
Gosh, I'd like to invite you all to my home for a few days!!! I'm so right brained nothing is in its right place!I'm also a painter and now and then I need to stop working just to put things away in their proper place in my studio...so I can find the darn things. My yarn closet would be a daunting project for one of you.
hillstreetmama Posted - 07/14/2012 : 2:39:50 PM
Lanea, if you find where to report misspellings in Kindle books, let me know. I sometimes wonder if anyone proofreads them at all. Though I won't mention the title, I once read a book that could have won a prize for the most grammatical, spelling and general English errors. The winner was when they heard the "whaling of the ambulance siren".

Jan
PBELKNAP Posted - 07/14/2012 : 11:32:18 AM
I do this, too! It always bugs me when people are too lazy to put something back where they found it in a store...

PAM

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
CAJill Posted - 07/12/2012 : 12:49:15 PM
I have worked in both yarn stores and needlework stores in the past. When I am in yarn or craft stores now I also straighten things up. I sort the yarn, especially if I need to see if there are enough skeins for my project. I sort the perle cotton and floss in the needlework sections. But what I ALWAYS sort out are the books. It drives me crazy that people can't put the books and leaflets back where they found them.

Jill in CA
Lanea Posted - 07/12/2012 : 11:33:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by hillstreetmama
Have you ever read a library book with a misspelled word and written in the correction? I have.

Jan, this is exactly what I do when I read on my ipad. So far, I've been downloading Google books that are in the public domain, and a lot of them are full of errors because of how they were scanned. I want to know who to report my corrections to!

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
simple knitter Posted - 07/12/2012 : 10:32:15 AM
I only have a habit of putting yarn where it goes. When I am in the grocery store, or any other store, I go by my step-father's rule: Someone else is getting paid to do that. So in all actuality leaving things for the employees to fix is creating job security, therefore stabalizing the economy... It's a weird way to look at it, but it's true.
mathiemom Posted - 07/12/2012 : 08:33:00 AM
Yeah, I admit that I'm a "tidier", too, and I'll even own up to having judgmental thoughts about "inconsiderate" people who leave things that don't belong to them in disarray. Now, if I only learned how to channel this energy onto myself regarding things I do own, I might have a somewhat clean house!

Wendy

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe