Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 The Perfect Knitting Shop!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 04/14/2012 : 5:44:54 PM
The perfect knitting shop for me would have a coffee shop attached to it!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
A balanced diet is a peanut butter cookie in each hand!
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lynne604 Posted - 07/08/2013 : 07:47:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ikkivan

Okay, there must be something obvious I am missing here, but having food and beverages around yarn and knitting sounds like a terrible idea to me. Sticky fingers and crumbs around angora or mohair or silk? Please tell me you all are joking.

Perhaps when it's finished and I'm wearing it (ha, that's when I spill the red wine on it), but not while I'm knitting it!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

You are so right, but I'm afraid it's no joke. At my LYS, everyone eats and drinks at the knitting table. I wouldn't mind that so much but some don't clean up after themselves, including the owner. I used to stop by mornings just after the shop opened for the day, and the table was littered with yesterday's water bottles, food wrappers, etc. There were also sticky spots here and there. I got so I carried wet wipes to clear off a spot where I could put my yarn. I never understood why the owner wasn't more vigilant about keeping the shop clean (there were other problem areas which I won't go into). Only once do I remember someone spilling their coffee, but it was in a covered container so only a bit leaked out. In "my" perfect yarn shop, there would be a separate area for eating and drinking!
suecq Posted - 05/22/2013 : 06:56:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ikkivan

Okay, there must be something obvious I am missing here, but having food and beverages around yarn and knitting sounds like a terrible idea to me. Sticky fingers and crumbs around angora or mohair or silk? Please tell me you all are joking.

(OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

In June Knit'n Knibble will celebrate its 7th anniversary. To my knowledge there has never been any yarn spoiled by sticky fingers or a spilled drink. The sit and knit area is separate from the yarn. Knitting bags and spinning wheels are displayed in this area. The pattern section is also separate, with a counter to look at the patterns so they are not taken to the knitting area. While coffee or tea has been spilled a couple of times, quick relexes have always saved the yarn.
Kade1301 Posted - 05/11/2013 : 06:48:17 AM
Well, when we had our "Knit Café" meetings, the cake and coffee came on the table when the knitting was finished and packed away. And I've just heard about a bookshop where they have knit meetings with refreshments one Sunday per month. I'm sure the logistics of a yarn/coffee shop can be organized...

Happy knitting! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
ikkivan Posted - 05/10/2013 : 5:55:25 PM

Perhaps when it's finished and I'm wearing it (ha, that's when I spill the red wine on it), but not while I'm knitting it!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
donnawatk Posted - 01/08/2013 : 04:42:45 AM
Craftymjw, The owner was a nurse she decided she would close and do that full time. Donna
YarnoverTruck Posted - 01/07/2013 : 9:54:15 PM
What about a yarn store that pulls up outside your favorite coffee shop, book store, or bar ;-)
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 04/28/2012 : 07:52:12 AM
What happened, donnawatk? I sure would like to have such a shop near where Iive.

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
donnawatk Posted - 04/24/2012 : 06:52:07 AM
My perfect shop close. It was perfect to me because the second time I went to the shop the owner call me by name.
I didn't know how she did it but she always made me feel at home. She didn't even mind that I bought a knit group at one time to the shop, we all had a ball. A bunch a yarn addicts in a small shop at one time. Donna
robinstephanie Posted - 04/20/2012 : 11:23:04 AM
Great stories, Consuelo and Suecq! Nice to know that somewhere our dreams exist as reality.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 04/19/2012 : 10:46:01 AM
Suecq, that shop sounds fantastic!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
suecq Posted - 04/19/2012 : 07:18:02 AM
I am so lucky to live just 2 miles from "the perfect yarn shop." It's called Knit'n Knibble." They carry a great selection of yarn from Noro to Cascade. There are two rooms where classes are held. Class size is limited to 6 so everyone gets attention. They have scheduled yarn clinics when you can get help with a problem. There is a large selection of books, magazines and patterns - even a computer to look up items. There are samples of items made with yarn and classes to learn to make the items.

Best of all there is a large area to just sit and knit. It can easily hold over 25 knitters. Whle there are a few couches, most of the seating is at tables. Knitters are encouraged to sit and knit and all ages are at the table. The second time you come everyone knows your name. Assorted coffee and tea are served and there is always a selection of cake and pie. The prices are very reasonable. (Less than $2 for a small pot of tea with a free hot water refill.)

If you happen to be in Tampa, Florida stop by for a visit. Oh, and I have no connection with the shop other than being a customer.
Consuelo Posted - 04/19/2012 : 05:20:04 AM
This winter while in the south, I briefly met a woman from I-can't-remember-where in Ohio, I think. For decades the town had a shop that sold coffee, pastries, newspapers and magazines. The local knitters started to congregate there for their weekly meet up. To make a long story short, the shop closed for a month to convert to a coffee and pastries yarn shop! Those are some mighty powerful knitters! I thought it sounded like the perfect shop... I'll have to write down the name of the town if I meet her again.

Consuelo
"Perfect" is the enemy of good!
busygirl Posted - 04/19/2012 : 12:59:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by crafty1mjw@comcast.net

The perfect knitting shop for me would have a coffee shop attached to it!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!

I couldn't agree more - coffee and plenty of space to sit and knit or browse through patterns!

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
crafty1mjw@comcast.net Posted - 04/17/2012 : 05:38:00 AM
Fantastic ideas, knitters!

craftymjw

Keep on knitting!
emmyc Posted - 04/17/2012 : 04:17:05 AM
a great comfortable chairs to sit and knit in!

emmyc
winchester ma
robinstephanie Posted - 04/16/2012 : 06:14:17 AM
And they would have fresh, hand-made pastries and treats made with real cocoa, dairy, and sugar, mmmm! (No "fresh" pastries made with industrial flavorings, palm oil, and high-fructose corn syrup!)

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Schaeferyarnlover Posted - 04/15/2012 : 12:25:17 PM
And the coffee would be free!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe