Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 What's On Your Knitting Wish List?
 Wishing for some knitting mojo

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
minh Posted - 03/13/2012 : 7:32:40 PM
For the last couple of weeks I have been looking at patterns and books and have projects on the needles but I need some knitting mojo.

If you are "stuck" with your knitting, what do you do?
Do you try out new techniques that stretch your knowledge? swatch a new yarn? discover a new designer? go to a knitting circle to get some positive vibes?

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Margie Posted - 08/29/2012 : 6:34:54 PM
to kkknitter (and all others) I still have enough hearing to use a book on CDs and one ear phone. That way I sit, knit, and read. Heaven.

Margie and Mimi (my hearing dog who doesn't knit -- yet)

knittingewe Posted - 08/11/2012 : 12:42:22 PM
Thanks for the kind words Nanci. I think I may be onto something as I was looking through the latest issue of Interweave Knits and I started drooling over a cardigan/jacket that was advertised. It's by Bergere de France in their latest pattern book that just came out yesterday (8/10). I think I called 5 different stores to see if they have it, and although I think they won't for a week or 2, my husband is encouraging me to buy it. I might just take him up on it, or maybe I'll go to my Yarn room and see if I can find some inspiration there!

So Much Yarn, So Little Time...
jaymeKnits Posted - 08/08/2012 : 3:30:37 PM
Sometimes I wish my mojo would take a break. Even when forced to not knit for a while due to time constraints, hurt fingers or other things the projects in my head keep multiplying and I can never catch up to myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my patterns:
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/jayme-stahl
One Stitch at a Time Posted - 08/08/2012 : 11:42:13 AM
You had 2 major life events happen back to back. It takes time to recover. It's not a surprise that you went into a knitting funk.

Some people knit to ease stress, and some, like me, can't knit when seriously stressed.

But I do believe that visiting the KR website and posting about it is your first, and very good move towards returning to knitting. Welcome back! Let us know how you are doing. You will get there. We all have.....

Nanci
knittingewe Posted - 08/07/2012 : 2:37:41 PM
I am presently in a knitting funk. Haven't picked up my needles since Dec. 2011 after having completed the tallit for my son's bar mitzvah. 2:00 am the morning of and I finally finished it. Since then I have had no desire to knit. The last 8 months I've been on an emotional roller coaster, my father dying in January and then having to inter his remains in another country. I guess it's not really surprising. Although maybe there is hope in sight since here I am. Haven't been at the website in April of 2010, so maybe things will start turning around. I always did enjoy reading what everyone else was up to.
Just my 2 cents.

So Much Yarn, So Little Time...
lella Posted - 05/10/2012 : 2:44:26 PM
Did you get your's back, Minh? Mine's back, so I hope yours is, too.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
Gibson Girl Posted - 05/01/2012 : 11:03:02 AM
I recently was a bit twichery about the current project so decided to rip out an old black angora sweater that has never fit properly. Do you KNOW how difficult it is to rip out angora??? AND black besides?? All those little fibers want to lock on to each other and it's a major headache. After several hours I was ready for some nice relaxing knitting on the current project. Helped me, might help you to do a knitting chore that's a little frustrating so you'll look forward to getting back to fun things.
hillstreetmama Posted - 03/24/2012 : 03:02:03 AM
I did not read any of these responses before today, and had to smile when "my" answer was given by so many other people.

First, I wouldn't worry about it. I have quilts to be worked on, books to be read, baking that needs to be done. Then, if I wasn't knitting, the yarn/book mess around the house would probably start to get to me. This is the perfect time to clean and organize. This last winter, I measured the closet in the spare bedroom, and bought shelving units at Walmart to fill it. Now, most of my stash and WIP's and knitting bags are in one place. Maybe it's time to organize magazines - put all the Vogue in one pile, Interweave in another, etc. (I'm still looking in my stash for an issue of Vogue that I KNOW that I have...there's a cardigan pattern I want.) Maybe it's time to organize your needles? Some internet shopping might be in order - be sure to check Etsy! Maybe it's time to order some more needles to replace those that have mysteriously disappeared. (I took the opportunity to order DPN's in sizes 4 - 7 because mine are MIA.)

No matter how short or long your break from knitting might be, the newly organized (and perhaps "enhanced"?)stash will be waiting. Imagine the pleasure of having everything together, easy to find. It's enough to make you want to pull out those needles and start knitting!

Jan
purlewe Posted - 03/23/2012 : 08:52:14 AM
Minh-

Oh I have been there. I feel for you sweety. But like Jane I think setting knitting aside is the best plan.

You are such a smart cookie, I can't imagine you don't have any other hobbies. When I lost my knitting mojo I got a cross stitch out. I also worked on quilting. I read tons of books, and saw a couple movies (rare in my house!) It was just about this time of yr too. By the time fall came back around I started knitting again.

remember knitting isn't a race dear, just a ride.

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
lella Posted - 03/22/2012 : 10:52:26 AM
Wendi_girl, right on!

Also, what Jane said. And great suggestions in here generally. Thanks for the topic Minh. Minh, very good that you are learning new things. But, I hope your knitting mojo comes back soon, too.

Lately, I can't settle my mind down to knit. I like the idea about re-organizing the stash. Maybe that will do the trick. Time and being tired a lot has made me want to veg in front of the Roku box when I get home, fortified with a cuppa.

sweetgrassgal and others, I hear you! Maybe it's time to wash those windows.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
wendi_girl Posted - 03/21/2012 : 09:16:12 AM
When the needles and yarn aren't calling me, I put them aside and find something else that inspires me. I go to a museum or botanical garden, the aquarium, spend some quiet time in a space I love. It always inspires my creative juices and that always leads back to knitting because that's my favorite and most comfortable medium. Sometimes it takes a few months, but it always comes back. Hang in there.
emmyc Posted - 03/20/2012 : 04:10:53 AM
I would have to say that Spring Thaw could cure a lot of mojo!! What a collection

emmyc
winchester ma
minh Posted - 03/19/2012 : 5:47:31 PM
Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments! I didn't mean to worry my KR peeps -- I recently learned to crochet and sew so these new crafts have eaten up some of my knitting time. And I downloaded the game Bejeweled on my iPad (ahem!).

I think that taking some time off from knitting has been good for me because I was spending more time looking at knitting patterns than knitting! My new armchair project is a lace scarf in Loft, it's so squishy that I got more yarn for a matching hat and fingerless mitts from the new collection, Spring Thaw.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
NutmegOwl Posted - 03/19/2012 : 07:14:03 AM
Poor Minh! Certainly, some rolling around in your too-lovely stash should help for inspiration.

The most precious commodity in my world is TIME. So if I have time but feel the mojo lacking (or heaven forbid, am tired!), it's time to pull out one of the I-can't-count-how-many-or-just-won't WIPs that just needs a bit of attention and finish the darn thing. That at least imposes some order, uses the time and gets something off the never-complete WIP list so that when my fingers get their normal itch back, I haven't experienced the most-dreaded affliction of all: Knitting Time Lost.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
sbl519@yahoo.com Posted - 03/16/2012 : 08:38:20 AM
I recently stumbled on a way to get my mojo back - teach a complete stranger how to knit left-handed even though I'm right-handed. I was sitting in a coffee shop with my knitting on the table in front of me. I was just about ready to give up and go home when an older woman walked over and asked if I'd ever taught someone to knit - she was left-handed and couldn't figure it out. My best friend is left-handed and I'd taught her to knit years earlier. I remembered the advice my friend had gotten from the left-handed LYS owner near us which was to try and learn to knit right-handed because that's the way most patterns were written. I offered the stranger the project in front of me and sat with her for 20 minutes while she knitted and pearled several rows. She was amazingly adept at learning and I found that inspiring. So try knitting in a public place and see if you can't attract some people with whom to share your passion for knitting. Otherwise, Jane's post is spot on for me.
sweetgrassgal Posted - 03/15/2012 : 2:25:19 PM
Sounds like it's time for a large motor activity like walking, hiking, bicycling or working in the yard or garden. Using your large muscle groups resets the brain and floods the body and brain with envigorating enzymes and hormones that change your outlook and mood. Spring cleaning comes to mind. A couple of days cleaning windows and closets and knitting will be a welcome change. May the force be with you.
Shalee Posted - 03/15/2012 : 09:55:19 AM
I also agree with what has been said. Sometimes I just loose the desire to follow a pattern or even work on a sock. I seem to go through this at least once a year. Right now I don't feel like doing anything but do want to knit, so I've made 3 key-hole scarfs using different yarns. Just enough to keep me relaxed but not stressed while I watch tv. I'm using up my left over yarns, in my stash, so that gives me some sence of accomplishment and 3 gifts with "free" yarn. Otherwise I read a book or design new projects in-my-head (daydream). Also I've been making yarn inventory cards, from Cochenille.com. Although this takes time I'm finding just how much of each weight I have and the colors. It is something I can do while watching tv or talking on the phone.

So, although I'm not knitting a lot, I am working with my yarn in various ways. Normally I hate to just sit and do nothing but when I get in one of these moods I just want to hide!

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

mathiemom Posted - 03/15/2012 : 09:51:23 AM
Hi Minh!

So sorry to hear about your MIA mojo! That can be so frustrating.

I'm amazed to see the diversity of strategies suggested by people here. Apparently, the loss of mojo is a pretty common problem with a variety of causes and cures for different people. Fascinating!

For me, I'm in Jane's camp. Knitting is supposed to be fun, and if you're feeling a little burnt out by it, just let it go for awhile. Go with whatever is pulling you right now, whether it's work, doing something outdoors, another fiber art or other art, cleaning, reading or just doing nothing. It's hard to be patient, especially with something like knitting which is such a source of pleasure and fascination most of the time. But these periods happen, and I think it's better not to fight it, but rather to allow it to run its course.

Occasionally, when I'm suffering from knitting mojo loss, I realize that I'm a little overwhelmed by my WIPs or needing something that I can do more mindlessly. In that situation, I'll make something super fast and easy (e.g. large-gauge hat in stockinette or garter), just to feel a little bit accomplished while not needing to concentrate. Usually I know instinctively whether this solution will help or whether I really need to be away from it for a little while.

Many hugs, Minh!

Wendy
Schaeferyarnlover Posted - 03/15/2012 : 09:06:06 AM
I'm in the "Organization" camp. I go through my WIP's and see where I am on them. I try to be a monogamous knitter, because I knit so slowly otherwise nothing would get done. Sometimes that means day-by day different projects. I have a large library of knitting books and magazines.looking through them I find ideas.
When all else fails, I shop on line for new needles ( Signature Needles are my vice), stitch markers and of course yarn.

Debra
stashmaven Posted - 03/15/2012 : 08:20:45 AM
I will either browse my old finished projects that I love or go to the yarn shop and fondle the samples. Sometimes I have to take out my quilting to jiggle the mojo.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe