Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Revisiting Imperial Stock Ranch

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 02/29/2012 : 8:55:35 PM
Many moons ago, way back in 2003 before a lot of our current knitting world even existed, I fell in love with a yarn from a ranch out in Oregon. Years have passed, many other yarns have come and gone, but this one is still around. Each season more lambs arrive, more bales of wool get sent to the mill, more yarn comes out.

So much has changed since 2003 that I thought this would be a good time to buy a new skein of yarn from Imperial Stock Ranch and see how it's doing. Please join me for a re-swatch.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 03/02/2012 : 09:30:34 AM
Intriguing review, Clara. I'd love to see the knitted up and swatch pics, but the links aren't working. Any way to fix?

I love the idea that the yarn is created in a sustainable way and not produced by a large corporation. When I spend money on those kinds of things I call it "voting with my wallet," not my words, but they work for me.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
hkpdx Posted - 03/01/2012 : 10:50:42 AM
I love this yarn and the people that own Imperial Ranch are great.
When I first knit with the 2-ply, I thought it felt like knitting with chenille. I do think that it knits up like a heavy worsted/aran however.
I like the very slight feel of lanolin while knitting and it washes up well, just as you described.

Thanks for reviewing this yarn again.
Lesliejo Posted - 03/01/2012 : 10:01:55 AM
Thank you so much - I love these rustic minimally processed yarns. I would love to see the pictures - unfortunately, none of the links work.

-Leslie

True love is not about finding the right person; it's about being the right person.
krispe Posted - 03/01/2012 : 08:46:17 AM
My first flock was made up of Columbia crosses which I loved dearly. Fabulous for spinning, weaving, and knitting. Sadly those wonderful animals are in the pasture above and I haven't been able to get any more to replace them. Now have blue-faced and shetland/BFL but still miss those Columbias.
ceddy Posted - 03/01/2012 : 06:37:20 AM
I love this yarn, I have a shawl on the needles now in Imperial Stock Company. I feel so elegant working with it and know the end product will be a show piece to be proud of.

It's also available from Patternworks.

Thanks, Clara, for showcasing this wonderful yarn.
drfuller Posted - 03/01/2012 : 06:32:52 AM
Following on the love for Columbia wool, Clara, have you ever reviewed Cestari yarns? They have been around for over 30 years and sell a Columbia-Targhee blend yarn similar to Shelter.
bethsmithpink Posted - 03/01/2012 : 04:26:32 AM
If you like knitting with Columbia, you should try spinning it. Fantastic to spin, bouncy and wonderful. Does great as a worsted or woolen spun yarn.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe