Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 Need advice on 20" circ needle tip size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
PuppyMom Posted - 11/25/2011 : 09:49:51 AM
I've recently changed to magic loop because the short needle tips on my Addi turbo 16" circs are just too short! I need my needle tips to be at least 4.5-5"

DPNs aren't an option....much as I've tried I've never been able to master the skills necessary for using DPNs.

Does anyone have Addi turbo 20" circs, and if so, how long are the needle tips?

I'm not married to the Addi's, though, so if anyone knows of circs with longer needle tips on their 16" and 20" cables, I'd appreciate the info.

Happy Holidays to all.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 11/27/2011 : 9:34:39 PM
I have 20" Addis, and I like them better than 16" because the longer cable gives he needles more range of motion. However, the needle tips are the same length on both 16" and 20". Maybe hand size has something to do with comfort; my hands are somewhat small, so I get on fine with them.

Best thing to do is go to a LYS where Addis are sold and ask if it's okay to sit in the shop and try a 20" circ in a size that works for the yarn. (Check out needle size by knitting at home first, then bring the started swatch with you to the LYS.) It may be simply that 16" is more limited in the positions both needles can assume in relation to each other because of the shorter cable, which 20" may eradicate altogether.

Let us know how you fare!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Grand-moogi Posted - 11/26/2011 : 4:29:57 PM
Here in Oz we use the Pony brand alot. I just measured some and the points are nearly 5 1/2 inches. I had not realised that they are made in India. I find them very satisfactory. We get a lot of knitting done on them.
http://www.ponyneedles.com/english/search_knitcirc.asp?cid=3&pid=40&cname=Knitting+Pins&sname=Circular

I knit a hug into every stitch
Jane Posted - 11/26/2011 : 04:39:10 AM
Unfortunately, 16-20" circs with long needle tips won't work well. If 10" of a 16" circ is taken up by the needle tips, there's not enough cord left to be flexible or to make the circle. That's why the manufacturers shorten the tips to about 3 1/2".

I have some old brushed metal needles with tips that bend toward the join, so the circle forms more easily. I can't remember what brand they are (maybe Susan Bates?), but they were the only metal circular needles available to me in the early 1980's. I also have some 16" Bates grey plastic circs that have the same bend to the tip. I still use them, but I don't mind dpn's so I tend to choose them first if I want to be really comfortable.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
Shalee Posted - 11/25/2011 : 9:54:18 PM
I just started to use the Knit Picks nickel plated 47" size 0 for magic loop to make socks. The needle tip is 5" long. I was using their 5" dp sock needles, but wow, the nickel plated just fly and I don't have to worry about stitches falling off.

edited to add: I just measured my 16" circular size "0" and the tips are only 3 3/8" long. The 24" and 32" are made using the 5" needle tips.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe