Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 interchangeable knitting needle sets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
HopkinGreen Posted - 11/01/2011 : 1:57:32 PM
Hi all,

I know this subject has been gone over and over a million times, but there are some new products out there and I wanted some quick opinions.

I've been favoring the interchangeable sets more and more lately. So far, I have KnitPicks Harmony set and Denise needles. I've been eyeing some others, since both KnitPicks and Denise have their pros and cons and there are some yarns that work better for different materials, but I'm still very undecided in what my next interchangeable set will be.

I know there are some new needles that are featured by the current Webs catalog. Anyone have any experience with those?

Other ones I've been looking at are the Addi clicks... but they're a bit pricey.

Hiya Hiya has a needle set that I've been looking at. I like the fact that they have a shorter needle that I can conceivably use for making smaller loops.

There's an interchangeable set by Clover that I think I would really like because I very much like bamboo and have used Clover needles for a long time, before I started using the interchangeable sets, but I'm a little put off by the fact that they don't seem to sell individual cables for them. In my experience, it's always helpful to get extra cables and connectors, for the sake of making your set more flexible. I also haven't found anywhere that sells individual needles for the interchangeable set, in case you lose one.

What works best for you?

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 11/23/2011 : 2:22:37 PM
I, ahem, "collect" knitting needles and have several sets of interchangeables. My favorite general-purpose needles are always bamboo or wood. Personally, I think the Hiya Hiya interchangeables are some of the best, but I rarely use my steel ones anymore as the glare bothers my eyes (ditto on the Addi Turbo needles); I love the Hiya Hiya bamboo needles and hope they will be available as interchangeables one day (perhaps they are and I have just missed it???).

Because I like bamboo needles so much, I bought a set of the Addi Natura interchangeables ... I love the tips but hate the connectors, which add way too much length to an already long tip. Thus far, I have ended up buying fixed circulars in the lengths (I prefer Magic Loop) and sizes I use most. I have many duplicates since I often am working on more than just one project at a time.

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of some custom-sized circulars from DyakCraft; I knew I would have to wait for awhile. They were ordered in September and I still have not received them, so do be aware of this waiting period. If they are as fine as everyone says, I will probably order more, regardless of the waiting!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
akmtngrl Posted - 11/10/2011 : 4:56:13 PM
I have three sets:
--A very old Boye set, which is okay because there are smaller points available, but they come unscrewed and I don't like plastic needles.
--A Denise set which now has an inoperable cable and tip because the click end broke off inside the tip. I have had these come unclicked while knitting.
--A new KnitPicks Harmony set that I got recently because they work very well for fine lace. I am not a fan of wooden needles, but for fine lace yarn, they are the thing.

Addi Turbos are my needles of choice--smooth and fast with good joins. I will not buy an interchangeable set, however, because I generally use smaller needles, and they don't come in small enough sizes. So I'll stick to my large set of non-interchangeable circulars and DP's. The interchangeables all wait for emergencies, like when all my available needles are in other projects. :-/

Gail in Fairbanks
churchlady Posted - 11/10/2011 : 11:27:01 AM
Who could recommend a set that would have an option for small circles like socks and baby things--12" to 16" with not too long a needle?
I have a set of KnitPicks acrylics, and I was saving up for an Addi Lace set, since I love the singles I have--unfortunate to hear they have no short cable or needle holder option. I was so happy to buy a crochet hook from Webs, since I can't pick up stitches any other way, and I love Tunisian crochet.
mfox@umbc.edu Posted - 11/10/2011 : 10:15:21 AM
Knitpicks is by far my favorite...their laminated wood. I like the feel of wood and and also want a very tapered point since I am a fast knitter and this speeds things up. The only flaw is their are occasional misfits with the threads; also the wood points used to come unglued every now and then. They have fixed the ungluing problem, and if the screws are rough they happily and quickly send out a replacment cable. The cables are very easy to attach and detach and last a long time. The price is wonderful on these and true to size, but you'll need a sizer since their spiral pattern makes it hard to eyeball the size. I use their circulars, both fixed and cale attach on every thing I make. I just wish they had a 12 inch sock needle.
birdgirl Posted - 11/10/2011 : 06:56:11 AM
This is my favorite subject! I first chose KA bamboo, which I love with some yarns, but not others. I like the semi blunt tips, but not for cables.Their cables also swivel, a big plus!

The same day I also picked up a Denise set, and I am impressed. They are strong, dependable and my go to for all types of yarn. I have not had a single problem with them coming loose or breaking. I really like the fact that I can save a project on them and move needles around. Those little buttons are awesome.

I took the plunge recently and bought Addi Lace interchangables and I think they are the best thing going. I looked at both the Turbo tips and Lace tips and I was surprised the Turbos were so blunt. I have the KA set that borders on blunt, so I chose The Lace tips. My speed really picked up with Addi's and I am now faster with all needles. I do wish there were saver buttons so I could do more swapping. The cable selection is good at five different lengths, so I get around that. I recommend this set to all serious knitters. The product is so worth the price, a quality set.

I read recently that Hiya Hiya is introducing a lace tip set in sizes 2-8, and I am waiting for them to show up at the lys so I can see them in person. Originally I was in the market for Hiya Hiyas' but they also were a little too blunt for my taste, so I chose the Addi's. I do love that they have a swivel cable, which is so nice when you knit for hours at a time.

I am intrigued by Knitpicks acrylics, but wonder how I would like the clear needle. I have heard others say they were confused by seeing both the front and back of the stitches at the same time.

Webs has an acrylic set in colors, oh my! I am drawn to colors like moths to a flame, so am leaning towards trying this set. I would like to hear from folks who have this set.

I would like to see a review of a new needle I heard of called Pretties. The cables are expandable from inside the needle by unsrewing the end a little and simply pulling it out a bit. I think I remember they give four inches out of each end. I even called a local shop back east and spoke with a helpful employee who gave me some good information, and yes they would do mail order! I might try this type soon.
suecq Posted - 11/10/2011 : 06:36:53 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Laxmom4x

Are the regular (Not lace) Darn Pretty needles a bit pointier than others? I read that I should order the regular points, and then if I need ask them to make them lace points, but that's more time, and that change is burning a hole in my jar!

The points on the Darn Pretty needles are at least as pointy as the Knitpicks Harmony. The regular tips and the lace tips are about the same sharpness,but the lace tips have s longer taper. This makes those K4 tog or P3 tog easier. There is a picture comparing the 2 tips on the Dyakcraft website. I have the 5" lace tips and love them. I have not used the regular tips.
sharecropper Posted - 11/10/2011 : 05:56:23 AM
WEBS has some new interchangeables in rosewood (expensive), formed wood (like KP Harmony), and acrylic by Knitter's Pride - the same company that makes Knit Picks' interchangeables. I bought the formed wood and the acrylic, and I love them. The points are sharp enough for lace work and rounded enough not to split the yarn. The needles are smooth and the joins are great. The cords are interchangeable with Knit Picks and with the new Plymouth interchangeables (which have more rounded points). WEBS has the full line of these needles and crochet hooks including the cubics (square ones). The formed wood needles do have a 16" option, but the needles are really too long for that.

sharecropper
Laxmom4x Posted - 11/10/2011 : 03:55:29 AM
I am so pleased by the timing of this post! My change jar is just about full enough for a set of wood interchangeable needles. I am definitely intrigued by the Darn Pretty needles, but I am curious about the points. I have a set of KP Options, and love the points, and the cables, and understand the difficulties with the join, but it only seems to affect one of my cables, regardless of which needles, so I am not too bothered considering the price. I also have one fixed circular Harmony needle and love it. The point is perfect, not too stubby, but it isn't going to poke a hole in my finger either. Are the regular (Not lace) Darn Pretty needles a bit pointier than others? I read that I should order the regular points, and then if I need ask them to make them lace points, but that's more time, and that change is burning a hole in my jar!

Janet
"Change is inevitable except from a vending machine"
sarah montie Posted - 11/10/2011 : 03:27:15 AM
I bought Denise back in the 70's and used them for years and loved them, there were not many (if any) choices.
I have moved on and I love my Hiya Hiya. They are very comfortable in my hands and easy to tighten and use. And I love that they have a choice of needle length and can make a 16" circular length.
I have to buy 2 sets to get all of the sizes, but at least they are available, from 2 to 15 I think.
I love my Hiya Hiya!
draymer Posted - 11/08/2011 : 1:14:46 PM
I have the knitpicks harmony wood and metal needles, plus the denise and an old webs bamboo set and the boyle needle master set. I never used the boyle needle master set, but I just realized that the cords fit the old Webs bamboo set, so I am set. I have 2 wooden sets, a plastic set and a metal set. I go back and forth as to what I am using - I have been using the webs bamboo set for years, and just started on the harmony wood.
suecq Posted - 11/06/2011 : 07:22:09 AM
Just want to add my acolades for the Dyakcraft Darn Pretty needles. I have a set of the 5" Vermont Applewood. They are the BEST needles I have ever used. I own all 3 of the Knitpicks Options choices, Denise and Addis. The DYakcradft are just plain better. They have a satinlike finish which just gets better with use. You not only have you choice of 5" or 3 1/2", but also regular tips (nice and pointy) or lace tips. There are several different colors all beautiful. Yu can order the set with each tip a different color, all tips the same color or any combination you desire. The only down side to them is the wait between order and receipt. I ordered my second set August 19th and don't expect to get them until the end of November.
HopkinGreen Posted - 11/03/2011 : 1:09:40 PM

I'm so glad I asked! I never heard of the Dyak interchangeable needles, but they sound great. I don't mind waiting for them, since I do have other alternatives to work with whenever I get the knitting bug.

Jane Posted - 11/03/2011 : 10:27:22 AM
I ordered my Darn Pretty set on the first day it was available, so I'm lucky to have had it since January. I have a set of 5-inch (in Rosewood, I think) and a couple of pairs of the short tips plus short cables, just because. I'm in line for a pair of metal tips in #3US, because I don't think they can make that size in wood because of the nature of the join. By the way, one of the reasons I love these needles so much is the join -- it's perfection. The wait will be worth it!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
mjhealy Posted - 11/03/2011 : 07:10:53 AM
[quote]Originally posted by Jane

I think the wooden Interchangeables made by Tom and Linda Diak are the most wonderful needles I've ever worked with. They suit me perfectly.

I have these on order! 12 week lead time. Mine should arrive around Christmas. Do you have the longer or shorter needles? I ordered the 5 inch in a beautiful apple wood.

Martha
-goldybear on Rav

Lanea Posted - 11/03/2011 : 04:50:35 AM
I have a set of the Addi bamboo clicks, which I chose because they're compatible with the rest of the Addi interchangeables. I have to be careful with nickel, so a lot of interchangeables are a problem for me. I like being able to add a few sets of lace clicks to the kit of bamboos.

That said, I'm very intrigued by the DyakCraft needles Jane mentioned. They've introduced an aluminum set, which I can't wait to try. Like the Addis, the wood and metal needles they make can share cables, which really appeals to me. The tips come in two lengths, which seems like a great option--I hate short needle tips, but I know a lot of people love them.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Jane Posted - 11/03/2011 : 03:49:25 AM
I think the wooden Interchangeables made by Tom and Linda Diak are the most wonderful needles I've ever worked with. They suit me perfectly. The crafstmanship is so much better than the other wooden sets i've used Knit Picks and Webs that i can hardly compare them. My Denise set is strictly for emergencies because I don't enjoy knitting with plastic needles, but I'm glad they're an option.

You need to be willing to wait for the DyakCraft needles, though, because they aren't made in a factory somewhere, but right in Vermont, mostly by Tom himself. Here's the link to their website: http://www.dyakcraft.com/index.htm

Needles are such an important part of knitting, but everyone has different needs and tastes. I hope you get to try a few before you decide!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
BessH Posted - 11/03/2011 : 03:16:23 AM
I have never yet succumbed to the needle set siren - I mostly knit with 2's, 5's and 7's. But I have been smitten with the beauty of the rosewood set Webb's is offering in their Christmas catalog - and I really do like their Dreamz fixed circular needles - and I see they sell them in a set too. I like that they are color coded. I have such a shameful number of knitting needles already that it amounts to a needle stash.

Help me! I'm falling!

Bess
http://likethequeen2.blogspot.com
purlthis Posted - 11/01/2011 : 4:08:09 PM
A big down side we discovered this week of Addi's is NO 16" option. That was a real bummer for a friend of mine who hates magic loop and 2 circs, yet has a baby she likes to knit for. Not good since she's already purchased them, and thought she could buy extra smaller cords for.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe