Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 KR Review of Knitter's Pride interchangeables

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 09/07/2011 : 6:46:37 PM
An Indian company called Knitter's Pride has just launched, and among its needle offerings is the Symfonie Dreamz series. Ridiculous spelling aside, the series features colorful wooden needles in single-pointed straights, DPNs, circulars, and interchangeable circs. How do they compare to the other colorful wooden needles out there? I have a few observations to help give you a sense of what these are and how they fit into the market.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
alwaysatech Posted - 05/13/2012 : 07:19:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Home Gal

I've just been given a small set of KnitPro's by a friend who lives in the UK. In reading the previous entries, I have to admit I'm a bit confused. Are KnitPros made by the same company as the KnitPicks (Harmony, etc.) or the Knitter's Pride, or both?

To Home Gal,

Since no one else is answering you, I want to let you know that yes, knit pro and knitpicks harmony are one in the same. I cannot answer for Knitters Pride, as I have no personal knowledge.

I have purchased both, Knit Pro from Deramores in the UK (until they upped the price on shipping and their tips) and the Harmony woods from knit picks.

All of the tips fit all of the cords.

These are the only needles that I use, little bit by little bit, I am acquiring every size.

churchlady Posted - 03/13/2012 : 09:59:33 AM
Knitter's Pride also has interchangeable crochet hooks in their range, for Tunisian or Afghan style crochet, which has always been limited in width by the length of about the same as a single-point needle. I find it very helpful for picking up stitches to use a crochet hook to get the stitches on the cord and then attach the tips (knit them tbl if necessary). There's a foreign KnitPicks dealer that has a crochet tip, too, I think.

A great feature of both systems, the turn-key tightening, makes running a life-line for lace-knitting a breeze. Just thread unwaxed dental floss through the hole in the needle when you do a purl row, and you have an easy spot to rip back to if you've made a mistake you can't fix! Do it regularly, and you'll love lace.

Live, Laugh, Love, Learn
lbrendon Posted - 03/08/2012 : 07:55:04 AM
I've ordered, and played with, the Knitter's Pride acrylic needles (only available as a set) called "Trendz" and only cosing $37.00 at Webs. My original "go-to" needles are Addi Lace, but they are often too slick for the yarn (such as Hempathy), and I admit, I went for the cuteness factor.

I love them. I had a horrible time with Knit Picks' interchangeables - one problem for me was that they connected with so few turns. Knitters Pride needles have to turn about 12 times before you tighten them.

I'm so pleased that I'm thinking about ordering their wooden set, but may just try a few points before I plunk down the $$ for them.

Laura
birdgirl Posted - 03/01/2012 : 07:29:01 AM
I have knit picks harmony needles and love using them. I have noticed the pairs will have one needle with the ridge pronounced, and the other needle looks like a dyak craft needles. I buy them locally so am going to be more careful when looking at more tips. I found a lys that is carrying knitters pride now, and these needles seem to be a step up in quality from knit picks. They didn't have tips only so I have ordered online and am waiting:-) :-) :-) I already have knit picks cables so didn't order those, as they will fit the new tips. I didn't order a full set, because I'm not using smallest sizes yet.....
Home Gal Posted - 02/05/2012 : 7:10:58 PM
I've just been given a small set of KnitPro's by a friend who lives in the UK. In reading the previous entries, I have to admit I'm a bit confused. Are KnitPros made by the same company as the KnitPicks (Harmony, etc.) or the Knitter's Pride, or both?
sward Posted - 12/22/2011 : 06:16:11 AM
I have a pair of dpn Darn Pretty Needles and I love them. I will definitely be buying American from them in the future.

Wardmom
pamulla@earthlink.net Posted - 10/01/2011 : 07:36:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by shejoh

I have a set of the DyakCraft interchangeables (wood, 5" sunrise large set) and I'm in love with them. If you knit with fingering weight yarns and have ever struggled with a bumpy join on another brand, you will absolutely adore DyakCraft. They're made in the US by a lovely couple who has a passion for providing excellent customer service. Personally, I don't find them prohibitively expensive at $140 for a large set (with the option for a small set if you don't need the larger sizes): I think expensive = buying a set for less that you'll wind up never using because they're of poor quality. Do you have to wait a smidge right now for a DyakCraft set? Yes. Why? Because they're so wonderful that they're incredibly popular and it's tough for the Diaks to keep up with the demand. What better endorsement do you need than that? I am not sure how the reviewer has been waiting since January for a set since I ordered in May and have now had mine for some time. She should email to ask if something fell through the cracks.

Shape the world, one stitch at a time
Pam in CT www.roddyknit.blogspot.com
honolulurn@yahoo.com Posted - 09/15/2011 : 3:28:12 PM
I’m very excited about Knitters Pride also! However I just wanted to post my response to Webs customer service after I got my order of Knitters Pride needles. I still love them, but want to warn people that they DON’T WORK WITH THE 16” CABLE. Here’s my email to customer service:
Hi,
I realize with any new product, there will be glitches. On the one hand, I figured by ordering immediately, I would be among the first to get these needles before they sold out and became backordered…on the other hand, I was risking being a victim of a “glitch”. Well, I gambled and lost!
On the original descriptions on the Webs site, the interchangeable needles were described as 4 inches long, and when combined with the 16” cable, would give a 16” length, tip-to-tip, which is the shorter length needle preferred by knitters who use 2 circulars to knit small diameter items (this is what the description said). I became excited by this, but looking at the photos on your website, they seemed the same as my KnitPicks (made by KnitPro) needles. I posted a comment on the Knitters Pride group on Ravelry regarding this. I did not receive a reply from the moderator. I had already placed my order for these needles with Webs. A few days later I received them, and to my disappointment, the needle tips are 4.5” and with the short cable make a needle 18” long. Worse, the needle tips are too long to comfortably knit with the short cable. If they had been 4” long I think it would have been doable. (The fixed 16” length circulars have 3.5” needle tips.)
Going back to the Webs site, the descriptions have been changed to say the tips are 4.5” long, and with the 16” cable give a needle 18.25” long. I know the description has been changed because I saw it before the change, but regardless the change is obvious if you read the new description, as follows:
“Please note that the cable lengths sold below reflect the final length of circular needle (i.e. the cable plus the two needle tips), and not the length of the cable itself. The 16” Cable when combined with the 4.5” tips creates an 18.25” long circular needle.”
It contradicts itself--“cable length reflects final length of needle” but 16” cable does not give 16” circular needle.
All of this would have been no big deal, except that the tips are too long to use with the short cable. You cannot make a circle and knit--either the tips need to be shorter, which is what I thought I was getting--or the cable needs to be longer, but that would defeat the purpose because there are already 24” cables made.
I would love Knitters Pride to start developing a 3.5” interchangeable needle! It would sell like hotcakes, because as stated in the Webs original description, interchangeable needles in a 16” length truly are preferred by the vast number of knitters who use the 2 circs method for socks and gloves!

Thank you,
Linda Walker
MelissaKnits Posted - 09/12/2011 : 1:02:21 PM
I absolutely adore my DyakCraft interchangable needles. I can't say enough wonderful things about Tom and Linda's work. The colors, the smoothness and strength of the needle shaft, the join; love it all.

But I recognize that there is a market for a less expensive needle. For example, if I am travelling I don't necessarily want to take my DyakCraft needles where they might be lost or misappropriated. Knitter's Pride needles fit the bill while allowing me to buy from my LYS directly. Gotta love that.

MelissaKnits
melissa-knits.blogspot.com
shejoh Posted - 09/10/2011 : 10:35:52 AM
I have a set of the DyakCraft interchangeables (wood, 5" sunrise large set) and I'm in love with them. If you knit with fingering weight yarns and have ever struggled with a bumpy join on another brand, you will absolutely adore DyakCraft. They're made in the US by a lovely couple who has a passion for providing excellent customer service. Personally, I don't find them prohibitively expensive at $140 for a large set (with the option for a small set if you don't need the larger sizes): I think expensive = buying a set for less that you'll wind up never using because they're of poor quality. Do you have to wait a smidge right now for a DyakCraft set? Yes. Why? Because they're so wonderful that they're incredibly popular and it's tough for the Diaks to keep up with the demand. What better endorsement do you need than that? I am not sure how the reviewer has been waiting since January for a set since I ordered in May and have now had mine for some time. She should email to ask if something fell through the cracks.
Jane Posted - 09/09/2011 : 09:45:14 AM
I ordered a DyakCraft set on the first day they were available (mine are set #18!), and I don't want to knit with anything else. The joins are wonderful, the points are just sharp enough for lace and cabling w/o a cable needle, and the needle length is perfect for me (I have the 5-inch). The workmanship is outstanding. I can't recommend them highly enough! I'll be bringing them to the Retreat if anyone wants to try them out.

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album
lablanche Posted - 09/09/2011 : 07:48:19 AM
The stitches move effortlessly in both directions, and the regular points have a gradual curve with no discernible bump. The only time I have found a hitch is in the hundreds of hours I have knit with them, there were a couple of times when I was using a needle just attached to a cable. I hadn't tightened it well enough, and it started to loosen. Yarn caught in the tiny space, waaay before it came apart. I gave it a firmer twist, and it stayed together for the rest of the project. I was knitting small shawls out of lace weight, so I was knitting with the same needle for at least four days. There is a group on Ravelry with a lot of happy owners, check it out.
ikkivan Posted - 09/09/2011 : 06:46:44 AM
Lablanche and those of you with the DyakCraft swivel needles ... do the stitches really move smoothly over those joins in BOTH directions? I watched with interest a Ravelry video on these and am very interested in getting some; I do have some of the Lantern Moon swivels and yarn (or pieces thereof) sometimes catches in that teeny space where the cord comes out of the swivel part. I guess I've not really seen a need for that personally, but I'm always open to ideas for improvements! I LOVE wooden needles and may ask for some of these for Christmas.

I dislike the KnitPicks needles except in the smallest "sock" sizes because the tips are too sharp and that line/ridge where the taper meets the shaft works like a speed bump (for me, anyway) and slows me down. These problems seem more pronounced the larger the size of the tips.

Yep, the first thing I thought when I read Clara's review of the Symfonie Dreamz was, "Hey, these look just like the Knit Picks needles."

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Jaknit Posted - 09/08/2011 : 10:59:35 AM
Thank you for the review, Clara. I would pass on these needles, since you reviewed the nylon cables as black. My poor old eyes require greater contrast with yarn, and the KnitPicks needles meet my needs perfectly.

Jan
Clara Posted - 09/08/2011 : 09:32:50 AM
You guys are very good! KnitPro is their European brand name. Same company, same connectors.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
tsocktsarina Posted - 09/08/2011 : 09:26:18 AM
Not only are these suspiciously similar to the KnitPicks needles, they bear an even more striking resemblance to the KnitPro line (same manufacturer, different/European branding, same threading etc.), even to using identical names. KnitPro also calls its comparable lines of needles "Symfonie Dreamz," "Symfonie Rose," "Nova," etc. KnitPro is supposedly based in Germany, but somehow this doesn't smell like a coincidence to me.
Carol Metzger Posted - 09/08/2011 : 08:54:47 AM
Same question as Susannah -- are the cable connectors "universal"? I am way into open source.

http://cfmdesigns.net/
churchlady Posted - 09/08/2011 : 08:17:20 AM
It would be nice to have interchangeables that didn't need a needlegaugue in the pouch. Ironic that Clara talks about the "candy" colours--the word comes from one of the Indian languages: kandi means boiled sugar, and if you've ever seen an Indian sweet shop, you'd know why--they must have the world's biggest sweet tooth--next to Scots.
lablanche Posted - 09/08/2011 : 08:16:24 AM
Many have ordered mixed colour sets from DyakCraft. You just have to ask for them. Some have only two colours, others have asked for every needle to be different.
kbshee Posted - 09/08/2011 : 08:11:11 AM
I love the idea of a different color for every size.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe