Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting on the Web
 Podcasts
 iPod problem #2

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LindaRae Posted - 05/01/2008 : 12:29:19 PM
I found a great link on my local library's home page for free book downloads; most of them are transferable to a player, or burnable to a disc for no charge. It is OverDrive Media Console; however, it's not compatible with the cute new iPod, as I just found out. I'm sure my library subscribes to that site for a fee, but am wondering if anyone knows of are other sites for free, downloadable books that I might be able to use?

LindaP
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 08/29/2011 : 7:24:14 PM
Hey Melanie--

I use Overdrive from my library too, and was recently able to download a book to my iPod without trouble. I don't know if the 4th gen Nano is a newer generation or not, or if that would make a difference. My Shuffle is the most recent generation.
I got the book on the iPod by using the "transfer" function from inside the Overdrive console. Well, first you have to plug in your iPod and go into the syncing menu, select "manually manage music", and then hit "apply". Then you go into Overdrive, select the book you want to transfer, and select "transfer" at the top left, which opens up the transfer wizard. When you click next, it should search a moment for the device you want to transfer to. There's a clickdown menu at the top where you can select iTunes, or iPod. Once I clicked iTunes, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it to my iPod from there. Instead, I chose "iPod" and it just transfers away. This may be a new feature. I remember having loads of trouble with the myself, first time I used Overdrive. Hope this helps!
rs

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
lacylaine Posted - 08/28/2011 : 1:13:24 PM
I realize this is an old topic but thought an update would interest my fellow knitters:

I still haven't figured out how to download audio books using Media Overdrive to my 4th gen iPod Nano. I was careful to choose books that were MP3 compatible but no luck and no one at the library could help me. I am currently unable to afford a new library card but will try the converter when I get another one since I still love to listen to audio books!

The drawback to the books on CD idea is that libraries like mine are loaded with books on tape but have trouble, even with inter-library loans, getting hold of books on CDs.

Does anyone else have any updates?

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl; black helmet liner

LindaRae Posted - 05/28/2008 : 4:48:49 PM
Jane, you're the 3rd source that I've heard that from; I sure hope that it's true! I'll look into Tunebite, in the meantime. Mocha, I have no idea what a softwear converter is, but am confident that Google will lead me to one :-) Thanks, DebbieMN, I truly didn't think of that. DebbiOH, it always amazes me what you can find out on this forum if you ask; good luck!
LindaP
Panhandle Jane Posted - 05/25/2008 : 7:24:48 PM
I use Overdrive from the library on my Zen Nano Plus, but I think I've heard that a free download of Tunebite will do the conversion. The rumor is that they will be downloading to IPods by midsummer. I hope so, as I would love to have one for my audiobook listening.

Blog--http:\\www.panhandleknitandsew.blogspot.com
Ravelry--panhandlejane

DebbiOH Posted - 05/25/2008 : 2:10:49 PM
I just found out this glitch recently and I'm so very thankful you posted your question. I didn't think to ask the knitters here. Thanks again.

~Debbi~NW Ohio
Mocha Posted - 05/25/2008 : 07:29:42 AM
Linda, if it is using a WMA format, then you need a software converter to convert it to MP3. otherwise you can do the longer route by burning to CD and ripping it back to MP3 or ipod compatible format using windows media player, itunes or real audio. If you do use windows media player, make sure you choose the right format (MP3 instead of WMA).

You can use google for specific ebook download genre for your ipod. or look at available podcast.
DebbieMN Posted - 05/25/2008 : 04:24:57 AM
Hi,
You can get books on cd's from your library and put them on your ipod. It's a great way to read and knit at the same time and the books are free!
Debbie
Mocha Posted - 05/01/2008 : 7:55:58 PM
Try iTunes shop and use the search functions.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe