Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 color changes in superwash yarns

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Phillida Posted - 05/24/2011 : 1:00:02 PM
I made some thick socks with frequent color changes using an all-wool superwash yarn not specifically meant for socks.
Now I find that little tag ends of woven-in yarn are emerging on the right side. I subsequently read somewhere that superwash yarns are not good for fair isle and other color-changing work because they are slippery.
Is that true of fingering weight superwash sock yarns that are part synthetic? Does
anyone have experience to share? Thanks. Phillida.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mcmircle Posted - 05/26/2011 : 6:00:38 PM
My experience with ends popping out is the same as Jilli's. If it happens my ends were too short. The Fair Isle issue I haven't dealt with, partly because I don't want to weave in all those ends ;)

Super-wash part synthetic sock yarn is just fine as far as weaving in goes. Again, it's what I do with the ends that determines whether there is a problem.

Good luck

Michelle in Evanston IL
jtingey Posted - 05/26/2011 : 12:47:11 PM
Yeah--when I've done the split the plies and knot them thing, I've hidden the knot in a place where the ends or the bump would not abrade the skin. And I have had little success spit-splicing superwash, which is totally understandable.
lella Posted - 05/26/2011 : 11:23:17 AM
No, you aren't so wrong. I do this un-plying thing a lot and tie tiny square knots at the end of the splayed out plies. I've knit this way for ages on plied yarns that I don't spit splice, and it works fine. It's more work, but it does work fine.

I just made a pair of socks from left overs and spit sliced 95 % of the superwash yarns used. It's not easy to do but it can be done.

PS. Superwash is treated with a resin that keeps it from doing much felting when washed by machine and dried. It also does have - usually - a little synthetic fiber for strength and for stretch.

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
mathiemom Posted - 05/26/2011 : 11:22:35 AM
Hey, it's YOUR knitting! You can do whatever you want, as far as I'm concerned. As far as I know, the only reasons not to do this would be cosmetic (i.e. some people don't think there should be little knots on the wrong side of their knitting) and maybe comfort . . . depending on how smooth the overall garment is and where it is worn, maybe the wearer could feel a knot and be irritated by it. But I'd say that in 99+% of cases, you wouldn't be able to feel the knot or, if you did, it wouldn't bother you.

Bottom line: if it works for you, do it!

Wendy
jtingey Posted - 05/26/2011 : 10:46:00 AM
So, here's my question, having had this same issue.

After doing the stretching and so forth, I've been known to split the plies and (gasp) tie a little knot to prevent the ends from coming through to the right side.

Am I so wrong?
JillN Posted - 05/26/2011 : 06:41:14 AM
Whenever I have ends that pop through on the right side, it's becuase i've cut those ends too short. I now leave my ends at least 1/2 to 3/4" long on the inside, maybe a full inch if it's a sweater. That helps keep them on the wrong side of the garment.

Also, after I weave in teh ends, I then give teh fabric a good tug in every direction, to get things stretched, THEN I cut the extra yarn off - that stretching helps work in a bit more yarn from the end that might make the end too short, and have it pop through to the outside.

For my knitting, anyway, it's the length of the ends, and how i've woven them into the back, that is the biggest cuase of ends popping through to the outside.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe