Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 adding a collar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alvern Posted - 04/24/2011 : 07:28:51 AM
When adding a collar to a sweater that doesn't have a collar in the pattern, do you just pick up stitches from around the top neck area and knit from them, or do you have to do increases in addition to what you have picked up?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Alvern Posted - 05/05/2011 : 1:03:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of doing a few short rows. I like that idea.
materavis Posted - 05/05/2011 : 07:16:16 AM
A great deal depends on what type of collar you want. A turtleneck or cowl is pretty much just knit straight up. A rolled collar needs a platform--look at the neckband on a shirt collar.(These are often not included in the pattern, by the way.) I think it was Knitters magazine had a good article on collars a few years back. I usually pick up stitches, then work a row or two plus a short-row or two from about the shoulder seams back. Then work the collar from there. If you want a round collar you will need to increase stitches (then decrease later at the front edges for a "Peter Pan" type.) For a shirt-type, you can knit straight or increase at the front edges, depending on how you want the points to look. Good luck!
lacylaine Posted - 04/27/2011 : 5:17:02 PM
That's how a lot of them look to me. I've only seen one knitted hood that looked good. One of my customers wore a hooded scarf with an upside down shawl collar edging, so to speak. It was wonderful but the store was always too busy for my to just get to know her and ask her if I could examine it up close. Anyway, this hood didn't have the usual point on the back and it didn't sag around the face, either.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest

Alvern Posted - 04/26/2011 : 10:19:00 AM
Thanks Melanie, very good suggestions about leaving the back stitches on a save needle.I was thinking about a finished sweater that I purchased and wanted to put a collar on when I wrote the question. I picked up what seemed right and then did increases thinking it would have to be expanded, but ended up taking it all out as it looked ridiculous. You are right, it probably should of had decreases. I have knit what seems like millions of sweaters, but they all have different ideas about collars. I wonder also about hoods. Are they just big collars sewn together at the top?
lacylaine Posted - 04/26/2011 : 09:42:14 AM
Rats, forgot to mention: if it's not too late, leave your back stitches on a holder until you're ready for the collar. This will create a LOT more give in the collar, allowing it to better go over the wearer's head. I would say that this is important enough to seriously consider taking out the bind off if at all possible.

Melanie

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest

lacylaine Posted - 04/26/2011 : 09:40:20 AM
I think you'll have to play with it and see as you go. You're more likely to need strategic decreases to keep the collar smooth. You'll probably find it helpful to read how other collars are made in different patterns. Good luck!

Melanie

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe