Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Looney Tunis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 04/13/2011 : 7:04:42 PM
The breed is called Tunis, and it's one of the oldest indigenous sheep breeds in the United States. So when I saw that there was a farm in Upstate New York that raised Tunis sheep, that they sent the fleece to Green Mountain Spinnery in Vermont for processing, and that they named the yarn Looney Tunis? Well, couldn't resist.

Note: Their Web site appears to have crashed right after I published the review. So you'll have to trust me on this one.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bfaye Posted - 04/15/2011 : 10:13:16 AM
Clara,

Great review! I think I would love this yarn, the sheepy smell just makes me like a yarn even more. The "yarns of substance" like this are the ones that I think make projects that last - the arans, the weekend sweaters and jackets that become old friends.

I went to the site and I read the blocking directions. They said to wash in Dawn dish soap and put a book on top of the project to block and it would bloom. Did you block your swatch like this? I've never blocked that way and wondered about it. I wouldn't want to smash the sheepy goodness. :)

benne
http://feathersong.wordpress.com
knittingsister Posted - 04/14/2011 : 09:58:12 AM
Clara, I can't WAIT to give this yarn a try. It sounds like one I will love, not being particularly into soft. Born and raised in New York State, product of many generations of Maine and Massachusetts dwellers, I treasure the slightly scratchy feel of wool against my skin. (Also,what are those long-sleeved Ts in delicious colors for, if not to go under scratchy wool sweaters?) I will seek out some Tunis yarn in the very near future. Thanks for letting us know about it. I also own and really enjoy your Knitter's Book of Wool. I read every word, about every breed of sheep. I'll leave the sheep-raising to others, but love their wools. Carol
CraftyGrammy Posted - 04/14/2011 : 05:04:34 AM
Clara, I so enjoy your yarn reviews. It sounds like a perfect yarn for that go to sweater. I have been going crazy looking for the perfect yarn for a long coat sweater. This one happens to call for a heavy worsted though. Would it be possible to double it up to get 18 sts/4" on a 10 1/2 needle? Since this sweater is long and will be sat on it seems that the 3 ply would hold up well for pilling and wear.

It looks like the spinnery has put out another great yarn.

Thanks for the review.

Nancy

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe