Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How many of you have tried a yarn club?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 03/30/2011 : 4:16:55 PM
In this week's newsletter (which you'll get to see later tonight) we're talking about yarn clubs. I've listed seven fairly prominent and successful ones, but many, many more are out there. So I thought I'd put forth the question to the whole group: Have you belonged to a yarn club in the past? Which one? What did you think? And most important, which ones would you recommend to others?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wen Posted - 06/12/2011 : 4:52:18 PM
My husband signed me up for the Silky Knickers Yarn club with Mayhem and Chaos last year. I now have 6 beautiful skeins of silk blend lace weight to knit up. I have projects picked out for 2 of them. Mayhem and Chaos are not running clubs at the moment as Tara has just had a baby and has a few other things on her mind.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157623175907664/show/ 2010 FO
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/ My blog
minh Posted - 05/15/2011 : 7:01:39 PM
Jane, you were indeed the first person to tempt me with Sundara but the latest person was Clara! I had decided not to join the Sundara collection but Clara's write-up made me change my mind (I know, what a surprise!). I will let you guys know how her new base (fingering merino) is when I get my May shipment.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
highdesertrose Posted - 05/13/2011 : 8:37:50 PM
A couple of years ago, I joined The Unique Sheep club for men's socks, since I wanted to make DH some different kinds of socks. However, we divorced the year after that, so he lost out

~Rena~
The only place that housework comes before knitting is in the dictionary!
lacylaine Posted - 04/23/2011 : 4:55:55 PM
If I am actually deployed this time (I'll know by late May) I will definitely consider Spirit Trails yarn club. I guess I'd better look into shipping but even knowing I'd be coming home to her lovely yarn would be nice.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest

Luann Posted - 04/22/2011 : 08:52:11 AM
Sja, thank you for telling us about AvaLudu & Bees - I had to click right over and look at Tara's gorgeous colors! My birthday is coming soon... and now, so is a braid of her BFL in I'm Your Huckleberry.

Kim and Minh both give some great tips. I have belonged to many clubs over the years, from Sundara to Yarn-of-the-Month to the Elann sample skein subscription. The one I return to again and again is Spirit Trail - I am an unabashed fan of Jennifer's colors and fiber choices. This year I am doing that one and Barb Parry of Foxfire Fiber. I love getting surprises in the mail and I know these are yarns I will love (and use. Well, mostly use. Or just fondle.)

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
lacylaine Posted - 04/22/2011 : 07:15:21 AM
I've never looked into a yarn club and didn't realize it could be so expensive. Like lella, I'm much too slow a knitter to want yarn coming in the mail (though thinking of Spirit Trails has me second guessing that!). I also have, for me, a pretty big stash and DH would NOT be happy if my yarn moved in on his DVD collection!.

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest

ikkivan Posted - 04/01/2011 : 6:18:07 PM
I joined a couple of the clubs from Simply socks over a few years, with the last one in 2009, as I recall. Each one was for a limited time. Although I'm thrilled with the yarns, I have knit only one pair of the socks (my own pattern choice), so "think" I learned my lesson on those. I keep saying I'm going to package up my endless supply of sock yarn and sock patterns into my own sock club; put in zipper baggies all in a giant barrel and draw out one randomly every two months or so. I really don't need someone else to pick those for me.

However, I keep looking at some of those CSAs ... don't know how long I'll be able to resist one of those.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
lella Posted - 04/01/2011 : 3:30:23 PM
I'm far too slow a knitter to be getting yarns once a month from Anyone, even Spirit Trail or Sundara, both of which I LUST after. DH would do a back flip off the shade patio if he saw more yarn coming in, even once a month, when half the bedroom storage is sock or sweater yarn. We won't even talk about the SR closet full of yarn from when I worked at a yarn shop.

In me it's a sickness. It's sort of harmless, but still, it's a sickness. My Dad and sister both had it. Dad had the hots for wood, and Sis for, of all things, picture frames. She's mad about them.

Lella

Zippiknits

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
marjotse Posted - 04/01/2011 : 08:35:09 AM
I've been in a yarn club once. I liked the experience, it was well run and organised (posh yarn) and the yarn was lovely but in the end I've never done it again. The main reason is that indeed the yarn I got from the club stayed quite a bit longer in my stash than many other yarns...

Marjolein

http://kantajour.blogspot.com
my photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98299499@N00/
On Ravelry: Marjotse
jgd Posted - 03/31/2011 : 8:07:43 PM
I love indigodragonfly's Smart-A** knitters/World Domination Club (sign-ups are open now for the next year - http://indigodragonfly.wordpress.com/smart-ass-knittersworld-domination-sign-ups-now-open/)

She's a Canadian dyer working out of Haliburton, but I know she ships internationally as well. Each of the packages comes with, yarn (the last two have been all or part cashmere!) a pattern and artisan-made swag. It's a great club - with an attitude.

I never thought I would sign up for a yarn club, but as soon as I saw this one I knew it was my kind of club. It's great to come home after a long day at work and discover something pretty and soft waiting for you in your mailbox - and it's got me trying yarns and patterns I may not have picked myself, but I love.
minh Posted - 03/31/2011 : 5:27:26 PM
Bettyj, if you're interested in Canadian wool clubs, I would recommend:
- Sweetgeorgia mentioned in Clara's article. I've been part of her spinning fiber club and love her yarns! She's in Vancouver.
- Tanis Fiber Arts in Montreal: http://www.tanisfiberarts.com/clubs.html
- Zen Yarn Garden in Ontario: http://zenyarngarden.com/
Jessica-Jean Posted - 03/31/2011 : 5:14:26 PM
In my younger years, I got hooked on knitting and crochet pattern clubs. I stayed until the collection of patterns was completed. After calculating total cost ... I swore off. (And swore at my own stupidity!) I'm tempted by such yarn clubs, but I've already got more yarn than I'll ever be able to use up. I'm glad to see how others have dealt with their club aquisitions.
bettyboivin@yahoo.ca Posted - 03/31/2011 : 2:36:22 PM
how about some Canadian wool clubs? Would be much appreciated!

bettyj
71Bear Posted - 03/31/2011 : 1:53:40 PM
I havnt yet joined a yarn club.
Seems pretty neat..but a few of those seem costly
I learning more about them
Becky

"Works to support her new hobby of knitting and old hobby of mandolin playing"
kbshee Posted - 03/31/2011 : 1:04:18 PM
Hello, my name is Kim, and I was addicted to yarn clubs for about two years. If there was a club, and I could get in, I got in. I grew my stash with a lot of beautiful yarn.

However, I have also destashed more than half of the yarn I got from the clubs. And I don't think I've knit any of the patterns, other than one or two from the Rockin' Socks Club. And I have enough knitting trinkets now to last me a lifetime.

Minh gives great tips. Here are mine:

1. Do your research on a club. See if you can find pictures of the past year's club offerings (flickr is good, as is Rav of course) and see what percentage of the yarns you like. Then figure out if the club is a good investment for you. Calculate the cost of the yarn and the pattern, and see if the cost is good or if you're overpaying for the extras. And if you don't like half of the yarns from the previous year, it might be an indication that the club is not going to be for you (of course, you can always sell off your unwanted yarn, but some clubs request/require you don't resell for a specific period of time (six months/year).

2. Check to see how easily you can get out of the club if you need to. If you find yourself in a sudden cash emergency, knowing that you can put the brakes on this expenditure is good. If you commit up front and you need to get out, can you get reimbursed?

3. If the cost is high but you still want to be part of a club (like the Rockin Socks club), see if you can find a friend to share the cost with. Then figure out a system that treats each shipment fairly...like alternate months that each of you gets first choice on the yarn.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
Catlover Posted - 03/31/2011 : 10:05:33 AM
I've never joined a yarn club because I suspect it would simple add to my ever increasing stash and not result in more finished projects. I'm always tempted though.
Whoopdedo Posted - 03/31/2011 : 09:34:55 AM
IMO half the fun is roaming the yarn stores,and falling in love w/a must have. Something new is always interesting to me,however the cost is def.not in my budget.
NutmegOwl Posted - 03/31/2011 : 08:58:03 AM
I've been a subscriber to a couple of clubs. The one I love is Spirit Trail. Jen's sense of color is unerring, and even colorways that appear variegated on the skein knit up into amazing tonal blends. I don't need patterns, because through the Ravelry group, we talk about pattern ideas for the yarn. This one works for me because the yarn weights and yardages target the kinds of accessories I make constantly. It's the one gift I gave myself this year, and I'm so glad I did.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
sjanova Posted - 03/31/2011 : 06:44:56 AM
I have never joined a yarn or fiber club. However, recently I made a donation to Pete's Barn Raising that was sponsored by Juniper Moon Fiber Farm. Clara donated two signed books as prizes, but I didn't win those -- oh well, and I have the two books anyhow. But I was delightedly shocked to see my name as winning a 6 month fiber club membership from Ava, Ludu & Bees by lovey dove knits. Tara lives on Afognak Island, which is near enough to Kodiak Island that her mail goes to and from there via float plane. She produces wonderful colorways that really grabbed my eye. But (always a but) I don't spin and it was a fiber club. I suggested telling Suzy to re-use it as a Friday give-away, but Tara very very kindly said she could send me yarn.

I got my first one a few weeks ago. It's lovely bright colors (which I like) called Kodiak Crab Fest, 480 yards, 90% superwash merino, 10% nylon, so I guess the intent was socks, but I just wound up the ball the other day (not a single knot or splice -- I wind yarn by hand) and am looking at the pattern for the Holden Shawlette. The stockinette should show off the colors and the edging looks like waves. And can I pretend it's a Lobster Fest since I love lobster and am not a big fan of crab?

Tara has an etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/AvaLuduAndBees -- no affiliation other than amazement at my superb luck and Tara's generosity and wow, I can't wait to see what she is sending for April, but I'd better get to my Holden this weekend because I want to wear it for a work conference in Florida the first week of May -- should be perfect for an air conditioned hotel conference room.

sja
Jane Posted - 03/31/2011 : 03:55:06 AM
I'm a Sundara veteran (and I wonder if Minh will blame me for her habit?). I joined the very first Petals Collection, and then several Seasons Collections. Like Clara, I never met a skein of Sundara I didn't like.

I was in the first Rockin'Socks Club, but I realized that I wasn't as interested in knitting with the yarns/colors as I thought I'd be. It was a lot of fun, though.

I'm a huge fan of Jen's Spirit Trail clubs. She keeps the fibers interesting, and the colors are always beautiful. And there's nothing like getting a little cashmere surprise in the mail!

I don't need patterns with my club yarn, but they're a nice bonus, and I've come back to look at some that I thought I'd never knit. Extras don't matter, unless it's chocolate!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe