Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Increase for corner of edging (square blanket)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/17/2011 : 05:43:52 AM
I am embarking on the edging for this blanket edging: Click here for picture

The blanket is the Larkin Baby Blanket, but I changed the edging to the one used in Basil Blanket (See post on choosing edging a few days ago for links to patterns)

Now that I've decided on the edging and bought the pattern for Basil to help with that, the pattern just says "increase" every other row at the beginning and ending.

My question is:
Which type of increase will look/work the best here?
Please let me know what you think on this. The blanket is turning out beautifully so far.

Thanks so much for your help,
Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies

www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/28/2011 : 7:47:34 PM
THanks...Loved knitting the blanket.

The Newfoundland is a big old sweetheart...actually my "granddog"...a gentle giant.

Barbara

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/KnitsforPreemies
mrssuem Posted - 01/28/2011 : 09:06:50 AM
Barbara - Thanks for all the input on this blanket. Loved the edging and how it looks. Oh yes also love the pictures of the dogs too. Knitting and dogs, lifes best companions. Sue
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/28/2011 : 08:43:13 AM
Pictures of finished blanket: Click Here

I enjoyed knitting this blanket. Thanks to all for your help.

Barbara

knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/23/2011 : 03:27:21 AM
Here is a photo of the edging so far: Link Here

I've made additional notes on my Ravelry page (noted earlier in this thread). The Cat Bordhi video (also noted earlier) has been a tremendous help on the right and left leaning increases. They look great--no bumps as with the knit f&b would have produced.

There are 3 garter ridges which produced about 5/8" then I'm going with about 1 1/2" of stockinette before I knit the picot folding row...then it will be back up the other side of the edging to reach the garter ridge once again.

Hope the photo helps.
Barbara

churchlady Posted - 01/20/2011 : 09:39:39 AM
I think you did some good advertising for both the Larkin and the Basil blanket patterns this week, Barbara.
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/19/2011 : 12:49:59 PM
Checked with the designer of the Basil Blanket pattern (reached her on Ravelry through messaging). She said where the pattern says to "switch to smaller needles" that she means to a smaller size. In my case since I'm using US#7 for the blanket then on the decreasing rows following the picot folding row, I would switch to #6 or #5 needles to finish the last part of the edging.

Barbara

knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/18/2011 : 09:46:03 AM
Thanks soooo much neraksenrab! I'm printing this off as we speak. I'm sure this will be a big help.

Barbara

neraksenrab Posted - 01/18/2011 : 05:52:59 AM
In Ruth's Crafterly blog, she blogs about making the same edging you are doing. Ruth notes that the pattern does not specify how to do increases but that you should use "knit in the front and back"
for increases -- http://roofth.com/crafterly/archives/367 -- [scroll down past the pictures in her blog to where she talks about helpful advice in making the edging -- and it is item 2.] Karen
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/17/2011 : 7:53:47 PM
Thanks.

Here's a picture of my blanket in it's beginning stage--of course it's much bigger now---Premier Dream yarn--- Link to picture here

Sue, I'm glad my post was helpful to you. I was on the same search and saw the Larkin pattern, because a friend of mine was knitting a sweater designed by the same person---the friend had sent me a link to the sweater's picture, and wah-lah, next to it was the Larkin picture. I said, "That's the one!" ... so I ordered it...coincidentally, I am starting my final row before beginning the edging. It's a long way around but I'll get that done after I take a little break. It's been a rainy day here, so I've had some time to really work on the blanket today.

I plan to cast on and do a swatch so I can try the edging...too much work has gone into this just to mess it up with the edging.

I have one of Cat Bordhi's sock books, which has some good directions on increases and decreases. I plan to pull that out for some pointers on this. Hope that helps. Here's a link to Cat's youtube video on increases: Video Link Here
Just love Cat---she is a hoot, but she's very good at teaching, too.

This project is posted at Ravelry in much detail ( Link Here ). So the best place to track my progress is there. There are lots of other folks who have knit this pattern as well--you might want to look at their work as well.

Barbara

Ceil Posted - 01/17/2011 : 5:44:27 PM
I'd go for m1, myself. You'd have to play with which way each m1 leans. This is just a guess, but I would try m1L, then knit the 2 (or so) corner sts, then m1R. I would definitely swatch this to know for sure.

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
mrssuem Posted - 01/17/2011 : 1:47:24 PM
I can't answer your question, but I can only add that after I saw the Larkin Baby Blanket I had to order the pattern. It will be a beautiful blanket when it is done. This will be for a very special baby and I was looking for a while for something as lovely as this. I'll be following your outcome on the edging, so please keep us posted.

Sue

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe