Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Decreases on backside of folded square border

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/23/2011 : 5:41:35 PM
I'm finishing the Larkin Blanket with the Basil Blanket edge (edge pictured here: Link )

Better picture of the edging with the Larkin design here: Link at Ravelry My blanket looks like this except I don't have the holes on the edging--my increases were solid)

(Also see other topic post on increases here under General Techniques).

Now I am wanting to check with you on the decreases for the "backside" of the folded edging.

I've done the increases. I've knit the picot folded edge. Now I'm embarking on the last part which is coming back up on the opposite side with stockinette. Decreases have to be done on either side of the middle 2 stitches at the corner.

I'm thinking that at 3 stitches before the end I will decrease the next two stitches with a k2tog (which is supposed to be right leaning dec), knit the last stitch, then move to the next side, knit the first stitch (this makes the two center stitches of the corner). Then SSK the next two stitches to do the left leaning decrease. (The Basil Pattern is not specific here, just says decrease).

Maybe I'm laboring over this too much--but seems like you would want the decreases to lean one way or the other. I'm just not sure that I'm on the right track...I think so, but would like to hear from other knitters.

Thanks for your time.
Barbara

Ravelry Name: KnitsForPreemies
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/KnitsforPreemies
www.southernfriedknittin.blogspot.com
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/28/2011 : 08:41:04 AM
FINISHED! Yeah.

Here is a link to photos of my work on the blanket. Hope they are helpful: Click Here There are quite a few pictures, so just keep scrolling down.

Barbara

knits_for_preemies Posted - 01/24/2011 : 07:12:22 AM
Whew!

Thanks so much for the reply. It's a very long way around that blanket edge, and I don't fancy ripping out several rounds.

Also, thanks for the info on the 3-2 decrease. I will file that one away for later in case I need it.

Thankfully, this pattern has 2 stitches at the corner to simplify things.

Barbara

socks4all Posted - 01/24/2011 : 05:36:32 AM
You are on the right track. The main thing is consistency. Whether you do right leaning then left leaning around the center of the corner or left then right do the same thing at each corner every other row. Had there been only 1 st at the corner, I might do a 3-2 st decrease (slip 2 as if to do a right leaning decrease, k1, Pass the 2 sts over giving a raised center st).

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe