Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Best Way to Sew together

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
llamafiber4 Posted - 01/10/2011 : 10:31:07 AM
I've made the Loose Knit Swing Cardigan I'm ready to sew it together, I want to use the best method with this yarn it's Alpaca Prime by Plymouth Yarns.

Debiie
My Blog: www. debbie-dailyknitting.blogspot.com

Life is the Journey.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CyndyABA Posted - 01/13/2011 : 9:02:39 PM
I suggest a look at Margaret Fisher's book, 7 Things That Make or Break a Sweater. She has very helpful discussiona of seaming that make seaming almost invisible. Different parts of the sleeve, for example, benefit from different methods. In fact, I highly recommend working your way through her whole book while knitting a charming baby cardigan. It has been invaluable for my knitting.
churchlady Posted - 01/13/2011 : 12:35:12 PM
The last two knitters are right. The shoulder seams may be a bit difficult if the pattern has you binding off each piece separately, then seaming, but redoing the backstitch until you are satisfied with the seam's appearance on the right side will work. The pattern may say in which order to seam pieces, or you could sew your sleeve cap into the top of the armhole next, with the middle fold of the sleeve piece to the shoulder seam. My favorite knitting-bag sized book is "The Knitting Answer Book" M. Radcliffe. As well as Berroco's site, there are many videos on Youtube and elsewhere that show how to finish your sweater step by step.
vmcphers@rochester.rr.com Posted - 01/13/2011 : 07:00:39 AM
Always put together on the public side so you can see how your work actually looks.

And . . . enjoy the process.

v-
knitonepurltoo Posted - 01/13/2011 : 05:13:53 AM
I highly recommend Berroco's technique videos, including joining shoulder seamsand mattress stitch. My best advice is probably "don't rush" - once you've blocked your pieces and are ready to sew them together, enjoy the process and be patient. I actually came to love sewing up once I realized that the time and effort I was putting into it was really paying off.

Knit One, Purl Too: A Knitlog
http://www.knitonepurltoo.com
sockjoan Posted - 01/13/2011 : 03:42:09 AM
You can't go past Ladder Stitch for neat seams, though shoulders would be better done with careful backstitch (on the wrong side) if you didn't cast them off together in the first place. My favourite resource book is Montse Stanley's "Handknitter's Handbook".
flicka Posted - 01/12/2011 : 10:22:59 AM
My go-to source for finishing is Nancie Wiseman's "Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques". A big volume like "Vogue Knitting" will also have that information, but the Wiseman book is handy in size and spiral bound to lie flat. It's well worth buying.

flicka

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe