Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 basic triangle shawl

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
anaid Posted - 05/20/2010 : 8:54:22 PM
I am making a basic triangle shawl increasing on either end every row and in the middle every other. Can I change that after 50 some rows to increase in the middle also every row? I am afraid it will be to long and narrow sideways than what I wanted. Will this change make the whole thing look bad?? Thanks for any help.
anaid
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anaid Posted - 05/22/2010 : 10:39:08 PM
I am doing Ishbel by Ysolda Teague and it was increasing every row at the edge and every other in the middle making it shorter than I wanted I after 30 some rows started to add every row in the middle and the edge and yes it is fragile however more than half the shawl is lace. I like the pattern as I am chart challenged and she writes wonderful and precise instructions for her patterns. It seems to lay fairly flat so I guess it will be OK and is taking on more of an angle in the center...I also like the pattern posted and that may just be the next project I have some nice handpainted fingering that was given to me. Thanks for your help...and reply
Gelliott Posted - 05/21/2010 : 9:42:02 PM
The pattern KathyR posted above is one of my favorites. (I have made at least 6 of them). It is simple, warm, and the edging makes it very special.

Gelliott
KathyR Posted - 05/21/2010 : 2:53:57 PM
Here is a pattern for a very plain shawl - the only decorative part being an added on edging. You will see that this shawl is only increased at the beginning of every row. Some shawls are knitted by increasing only in the centre. There are many ways of accomplishing the same ending.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
fmarrs Posted - 05/21/2010 : 04:49:36 AM
When I make a simple triangle shawl, I increase at the beginning of each row only. This gives me a shawl with a right angle at the center back. This would be the same as increasing on both ends every other row. Adding increases to the center would make the angle at the point much flatter and the back length of the shawl much shorter. Adding increases in the middle would continue to flatten it out and shorten the back length. Personally, I don't like making increases every row at the same spot in the shawl as that makes it extremely lacy and may weaken that point if the rest of the shawl is not also lacy.

The way I solve a problem like this is with knitter's graph paper. I X out the squares as I add increases and that gives me an idea of how the shape will look. If you graph out enough of it, you can even calculate the final measurements of the shawl. It goes something like this with I being and increase and X being a regular stitch, but, you cannot get a sense of proportion from this because it is not knitter's graph paper and is not in the correct size.
XXXXXXXXXIX
XIXXXXIXXXX
.XXXXXXXIX
.XIXXXIXXX
.XXXXXXIX
.XIXXIXXX
..XXXXIX
..XIXIXX
....XXX

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page