Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Purl 2 tog tbl is Driving Me Crazy!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vviolet Posted - 05/10/2010 : 10:26:08 PM
I am trying to knit the Column of Leaves Scarf by Brooke Nelson. One part of the instructions would have me "purl two together through the back loops". There is a fine row-by-row video tutorial that is available on Youtube for this very pattern, but it goes a little too fast and it is difficult for me to see the movements and the needle positioning of the p2tog tbl.

Is there an alternative to this stitch that I can substitute? Or better yet, may someone please explain simply and clearly how to accomplish "p2tog tbl" (or a subsitute stitch)? I so want to knit this beautiful, amazing scarf but I can't get past Row 2 until I learn how to knit this stitch!

"I always try to do that what I cannot do in order to learn how to do it." -- Picasso
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mathiemom Posted - 05/13/2010 : 11:54:19 AM
I recently found out that I had been doing it incorrectly, all the while thinking, "Why does it say to purl tbl when the outcome is the same as regular purling?" I found the answer when reading instructions for something (sorry that I don't recall what it was!). Fran's instructions are great - just follow them and you'll be fine.

Wendy
needler Posted - 05/13/2010 : 06:04:19 AM
It has been said that "timing is everything." I am so glad to read this, as I have been struggling with this very thing all week. I've decided that designers that incorporate this stitch into their patterns must have an evil streak or maybe just a perverse sense of humor. hehehe Thank you Fran!
vviolet Posted - 05/11/2010 : 08:53:58 AM
Hey Fran! Thanks a million! I can't wait to try this!--Vikeena

"I always try to do that what I cannot do in order to learn how to do it." -- Picasso
fmarrs Posted - 05/11/2010 : 03:58:10 AM
There is a one step process and/or a two step process for this stitch. The two step process is easier to understand but takes longer to do. The point is to twist the p2tog. If done the usual way, the stitches are not turned or twisted. I should ask what type of knitting you do. The procedure is different if you knit by the throw method or by the continental method. Here are directions for the throw method, or American method.

The 2 step method is to slip the right needle in like the usual p2tog, slide the stitches off the left needle and reinsert the left needle along side the right one so both needles come out side by side, points together. Now remove the right needle and you have twisted the stitches, just purl them off. See, easiest to understand, easiest to do, just takes longer because there are two steps.

The one step method is more awkward until learned. Look at your purl stitch. It has a left side or bar which is behind the needle and a right side or bar which is in front of the needle. If your stitches do not look like this, you are probably doing a combined technique of knitting and need different directions, let me know.

What you want to do is to insert your right needle under the left bar of the second stitch from left to right, then under the left bar of the first stitch from left to right, then wrap your yarn and pull your yarn through toward the back of the stitches. This twists these two stitches. You can do this by twisting your knitting side by side and inserting the needle from the left through to the right which may be easier when you start but what I do is put just the very tip of the right needle behind the second stitch and then pull it toward me until the point comes out in front of the two right bars, slide the needle forward and then wrap the yarn and finish the stitch.

I watched this video and what I found confusing is the fact that she shows the entire row instead of just the p2tog tbl. That makes a combination of knit stitches and purl stitches, etc, etc, that gets confusing What I would do is to watch this video until you get to the part where she works 6 knit stitches followed by the p2tog tbl, then pause it and just keep looking at that one stitch again and again until it is easier to understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no-Whn6SIqM

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe