Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 Socks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JHK Posted - 01/05/2010 : 11:07:38 AM
I'm finishing up the last pair of socks left over from holiday knitting (and on sock 2 so close to done). And January has at least 4 socks on the needles for upcoming birthdays. Would you believe I also have a pair on the needles just for me? I looked through my sock wardrobe recently and noticed I only have one pair of handknit socks. I've been knitting socks since Sept '06 - so all the dozens of socks I've knit have been gifted. This year will be different. =)

JHK
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 04/23/2010 : 06:58:38 AM
I have two pairs of socks in the works for two grade-school grandsons. The first pair are completed (I prefer top-down socks) through the foot, waiting for the toe decreases. When I have this other pair to that point, I will check with my daughter one more time on the shoe sizes for these boys, which seem to get bigger by the month. Then I will probably add a few more rounds to the foot, close up the toe and put them in the mail with haste so they can wear them before they outgrow them! Needless to say, these are pretty simple (read, FAST) sock patterns. At least my daughter, who has teensy feet, can probably wear them when her sons can't.

On the laundry: except for the rare, luxury cashmere- or silk-blend pair that receives by-hand care all the way, I wash most of these special socks (even store-bought wool socks) in a mesh bag on the gentle cycle, warm wash and cold rinse, in my front-load washer. Then I lay them out flat to dry. A few have gone through the dryer by accident, but have turned out fine, nonetheless.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
sueg Posted - 02/05/2010 : 02:04:37 AM
2010 is officially my 'Year of the Sock' I have already finished one pair and have done the cuff of one more sock.

Last week, I printed off about 10 of my favourite sock patterns from my Ravelry queue, and put them on the table, along with a pile of sock yarn. I paired off patterns and socks, put them into paper bags, and they are now waiting patiently to be started. As I finish one pair, I choose another bag at random for my next project.
My aim is to make at least 10 pairs of socks this year.
joankyles Posted - 01/26/2010 : 12:21:40 PM
I've finished my socks that I was writing up a pattern for, it seemed to take ages but finally got 3 pairs of socks.....
Happy Knitting

www.calanacrafts.blogspot.com where you'll find me knitting
lella Posted - 01/10/2010 : 3:23:40 PM
JHK, good for you, making a pair for yourself. I finally have three pair for me, one knit over the last few months. That's enough to keep my feet warm for a week if I wash them here and there. But of course, I want more! Most of the ones I make are for family members, which is fun. I know they are wanted.

morted, I wash all ours in a mesh bag in the washer in cold water with colored clothes. I don't have any sock yarns that are not superwash. I almost never dry them in the drier, though. One exception was a recently knit pair of boot socks that needed a little more fulling to be comfortable for DH's sensitive feet. Happily they didn't shrink, just fulled a little more.

Lella
Zippiknits
morted Posted - 01/10/2010 : 2:58:22 PM
I'm working on my first pair of socks and happy to report they are coming along well. My question is do you have any advice for caring for these hand knit treasures? I'm using a superwash merino wool by malabrigo. Do you hand wash and line dry or is it advisable to machine wash and/or dry? Thanks for any advice Diane
CraftyGrammy Posted - 01/10/2010 : 06:40:40 AM
I am on a Fingerless Mitts frenzy. At first I didn't see the craze. I purchased a pair and being a cell phone texter, ipod user and hater of gloves in general, I love them! I am finally finishing up a pair for myself. Everytime I finished a pair I gave them away. What I love is how quickly they knit up. With diligent knitting you can finish them in a weekend.

Nancy
Marg in Mirror Posted - 01/09/2010 : 07:23:16 AM
I've started my 2 shawls for the KALs, but am also knitting a pair of socks for my DD...by request. Her birthday is next week!

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
minh Posted - 01/06/2010 : 6:37:59 PM
I'm on the socks bandwagon too!
It's cold right now but I don't have enough handknitted socks to wear a pair every day *and* some of the ones I have are lacy so not very warm. So I will be knitting warm but interesting-to-knit patterns :)
knittingrunner Posted - 01/05/2010 : 1:30:11 PM
I hear you there!
I've got my seventh pair of socks OTN...and I only have one pair in my sock drawer as well. That was my very first pair of socks and these mark the time I've spent waiting for my divorce to be finalized...therefore they are 'Separation Socks'. No pattern...who'd want to knit a repeat of that?! Just my basic sock recipe with some special yarn from MD Sheep and Wool.

Naps can always be improved by adding a cat.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe