Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Boys Who Knit
 Occupation of Male Knitters - Is there a trend?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kyench Posted - 03/10/2005 : 11:07:44 AM
I was just wondering after meeting other male knitters here, online and in LYS...... I seem to notice something.

I've only met one male knitter in person who's an engineer. Someone mentioned that her grandfather is also an engineer. The guy's wife is also an engineer.

I was wondering what kind of occupation our knitters are.... especially the guys??? Is it a trend that guys who knit are mostly in the engineering/technical/software/IT occupation??

KC
http://boiknit.blog.com/
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 01/04/2014 : 11:51:08 AM
Hi, Momabear, looks like this is your first post. Welcome to KR, and hope to see more posts from you. I love your description of waiting in docks in your truck, knitting!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Momabear Posted - 12/22/2013 : 07:08:34 AM
Ok I Like this Knitting thing, My wife and I are both getting into it now. I've been a fabricator for over 30yrs the last 10 or so, now I have moved into the transportation field. I drive a big truck! this leaves lots of idle time on my hands, waiting in docks. So a hobby that keeps me busy and allows me to have something to show for my time seemed like a good thing. I like the loom and also the crochet needle.
Gibson Girl Posted - 07/23/2011 : 10:50:33 AM
Professional female artist/painter here with minimal math skills. I've been knitting for nearly 50 years and frequently figure out a stitch pattern by looking at the photographs(not the directions or charts)in knit books. So I guess you'd say I'm a visual person and that there are several ways to approach knitting.
virgilmacgreg Posted - 07/22/2011 : 5:11:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kyench

yes margaret,you're a techie

9 techies vs. 6 non techies

This is fun..... who else??

KC

http://boiknit.blog.com/

I couldn't agree more. Knitting is something not to be made as a career. It is something like our passion to a hobby. We may have other career to generate money but there are really things that we wanna do aside from working.

vancouver condo rentals http://luxurycorporatesuites.com/corporate_suites_rentals_furnished_richmond_bc.html
chiral Posted - 02/28/2010 : 04:32:08 AM
I've been a primary school teacher (specializing in music) and have just completed a degree in Biology/Geology and a minor in Paleontology.

Not sure if this puts me in the engineering category but I do dabble in computer programming in my "spare time".

I draft my own sewing patterns and design all my own knitting so I guess there's a maths element somewhere.

Steve
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chiral1/
eldergirl Posted - 04/16/2008 : 4:16:29 PM
I was a custom designer/dressmaker for 37 years, and I made my own designs and patterns. Now I write and interpret knitwear designs for fun, and am a passionate knitter! I think design of any sort is very technical, and used to defend dressmaking as "yes, Virginia, it IS rocket science!" Well, maybe.......but engineering and creativity are a wonderful, awesome joyful combination in a person!
Yay for geek artists!
Anna
MINItron Posted - 04/13/2008 : 02:27:36 AM
I am a Male knitter. I am also an Avionics Technician in the US Navy. I am also one of those creative/techie combinations. I enjoy making things with my hands, and knitting appeals to both sides. I also have a lot of the symptoms of dyscalculia. As a result I tend to see numbers as patterns, so knitting fits into that as well.

Scott
Noodles Posted - 03/27/2008 : 08:45:05 AM
I am a male knitter and I have no interest in technology Im going to school now to become a College teacher in english and theatre

-Johnathon
pultzr Posted - 02/03/2008 : 05:28:19 AM
I agree that ther is a certain mathematical aspect to knitting I however am a early childhood teacher (2-5). But I know thta when I start using more complicated patterns I will probably have to read them over 50 times.
-Pultzr
Chayah Posted - 01/07/2008 : 05:53:53 AM
I am a non-techie Hebrew teacher, love to knit. My hubby knitted all the way through grad school, he is a psychiatric social worker and refuses to knit any more. He is more technologically savvy than I am, and is also a sculptor. I am enjoying this thread, thanks for starting it.

"When I was young I admired clever people. Now that I'm old I admire kind people."(A.J.Heschel)
MindyO Posted - 01/06/2008 : 11:16:55 PM
Not to throw off your vibe or anything, but I am kind of weird I guess. First off I'm a girl... so count me out now if you want I don't have a "real job" as in I went to college and have a career. I DID go to college to be an electrical tech so I could 'fix stuff' dropped out when I realized I didn't want to be a TV repair chick.
I currently work as a customer service rep and use a computer with lots of navigation between several programs to help the customers. I'm also one of those people that never actually reads directions unless I absolutely have to. I'm a look at the pictures and pieces on hand and figure it out in your head kind of person. I thrive with Ikea directions! Most of my knitting is also done this way, I think about it and just kind of work it out as I go. I'm also a poke the buttons and hope for the best rather than actually read the manual person. Cell phone, GPS, TV...no manuals unless absolutely needed for a specific function.

So I'm pretty sure I'd be a non techie, no title or degree. But oh so technically inclined...
Pekoe Posted - 01/06/2008 : 7:22:10 PM
I've come to love knitting in such a short time. While still an undergraduate student, I am studying to become a registered nurse. A male nurse and a male knitter are both somewhat uncommon, aren't they?

I can't say I like knitting for the mathematical aspects of it; math was never my strong point anyhow. The repetitive, almost meditative act of knitting is what I really enjoy. That, and the creativity aspect of it all.
Durango Posted - 06/16/2007 : 12:09:07 PM
I'm a female knitter, just started this year. I was a biochemistry major in college and am now in heath care. I like the mathematical part of knitting, taking a conceptually one dimensional object like yarn and turning it into a 3 dimensional object like a sock or a hat. I also love the mathematical aspects of lace knitting. I've enjoyed needlework and crafts all my life, so knitting seems like a natural fit with the scientific part of me. I've noticed that female knitting bloggers seem to be likely to be techies, but maybe the non-techies don't blog or use a computer as a resource for their knitting. I would expect that engineers, male and female, would be naturals as knitters: essentially practical, good at making things and figuring things out, usually methodical, and just basically nice people.
nrsbear Posted - 05/24/2007 : 1:53:39 PM
Male knitter here...nurse by training, performing arts (theater) by love.

I can so understand engineers and techies and such finding knitting interesting. It's highly mathmatical, can be VERY exacting...but it puts out a product a little warmer and cuddlier than a skyscraper or a well-excicuting program.

Attention to detail is stimulating and it usue another part of their brain.

Being from the creativie side---I find my self not such much about the detail (look at my first cabled sock and the REALLY intersting I did the heel gusset and decrease and ope hole here and there) but about the overall presentation.

If I can hold it up 5 feet from you and you say "Wow", that's what I want. I don't want you to examine it and say, "OHhhhh..there's a yo hole here right next to the cable...or..."THAT'S an interesting way to have done that...." Go for the WHOLE impression :-)

nrsbear
Michael Johnson
San Jose, CA
4ply Posted - 05/18/2007 : 07:25:10 AM
I have to agree with Fran waaaaaaaay back on page 1 - "combine math and science and creativity"...as an IT professional, my favorite project ever was my Fibonacci Sequence scarf... it was googols of fun!

Scott
subdue it with a sweater Posted - 05/11/2007 : 7:48:33 PM
I am a grad student in conceptual art. I learned to knit in order to take the edge off of school.www.subdueitwithasweater.blogspot.com
Jolene108 Posted - 05/10/2007 : 12:56:08 PM
I own a Data Management Company, and am as Analytical and Anal as one can be. Also, a Libra to boot! Jolene in Vancouver WA USA
lacylaine Posted - 05/10/2007 : 07:07:24 AM
Let's see...taught dd to knit a few years ago. She loved it and immediately noticed the math angle. The only thing she ever knit was a dishcloth (in her own pattern) that was basically a spiral rib. Then she moved on to other things and is currently taking a lot of computer-related/web design classes in college.

I'm the non-techie, Baking & Pastry Arts culinary student at Ivy Tech. I can do the math but can't visualize anything.

My young nephew insisted that I teach him how to knit over Christmas. His dad just about freaked out! Anyway, he is definitely an artsy, theater kind of kid, very creative.

Melanie in Indiana

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

Finished 1 out of 6 UFOs! Must resist starting another project!!!

uplate6674 Posted - 04/14/2007 : 09:23:31 AM
I'm a writer and editor, and I failed calculus twice.

Definitely non-techie.
Mama Cat Posted - 01/19/2007 : 09:58:11 AM
My grandfather could knit, though he didn't do it much. He was a (Irish-descended) deep-sea fisherman from Newfoundland, and operated the winch on the boat in the days when the winch was still manual. Lots of fishermen could knit because the skills were not dissimilar to making nets and tying knots. I did a little macrame as a teenager in the 70s, which he thought was hilarious - he said it was all just sailor's knots.

After he retired, he and my grandmother used to make afghans together while they watched TV. He would make these little pom-pom-y "lazy daisy" afghan squares using this little loom thingy, and she would sew the squares together.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe