Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Cashmere Canapa

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 02/03/2010 : 9:14:29 PM
So... a yarn with hemp and cashmere? Such polar opposites intrigued me, so I ordered two skeins to swatch. I wanted to know if it was just cruel and abusive treatment of cashmere, or if the yarn really worked.

Cashmere and hemp in a yarn? That's just weird.

Could there be more polar opposites? Cashmere is one of the finest, softest, most luxurious fibers on the market, usually reserved for high-end garments. And then there's hemp, an extremely strong, sturdy, unyielding plant-based material that's often used for rope. Blending the two together is like baking a beautiful chocolate cake and then using a chainsaw to cut it.

Or is it?
...full review

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carol Metzger Posted - 02/21/2010 : 11:30:20 AM
And I like pineapple on pizza. But I'm the only one. <g>

http://cfmdesigns.net/
OPKnitter Posted - 02/04/2010 : 10:56:47 AM
Like Carol, I'm still wondering what's the point with this yarn. Sounds more like a marketing ploy (oooh, it's got cashmere) than a serious look at what the 3 fibers do to complement each other. And for the record, yes to chocolate & chili, yuck to pineapple on pizza.
Carol Metzger Posted - 02/04/2010 : 09:32:42 AM
But really. What is the purpose of the cashmere in this yarn? I thought you got the best of hemp with washing in hot water, like linen. That would destroy the cashmere and annoy the cotton. So I'm scratching my head and asking, WHY? Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done.

Carol Metzger Posted - 02/04/2010 : 09:29:00 AM
Oy! Have any of you heard of the Rule of Shatnez? (mostly joking, but I sometimes get a little superstitious). So I looked it up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatnez

And learned something new. Apparently the goat fiber does not trigger the taboo <g>.

GFTC Posted - 02/04/2010 : 08:54:13 AM
I like cotton yarn and I was always a fan of the Debbie Bliss yarns that had cashmere content and I've used some yarns that were sort of "ropey" to knit so I am intrigued by this yarn. I'd have to see the swatches in person to get an idea of what to make with it.

Off the record, the thought of pineapple on pizza makes me gag.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
arizonaknitter Posted - 02/04/2010 : 05:35:53 AM
That's a very odd combination but is sounds like it would be nice for summer. I think a tank or shell style sweater might be nice to try or like Jane mentioned, maybe even a small shawl. Might have to try it!
Tina

Tina
Jane Posted - 02/04/2010 : 05:32:33 AM
I'm wondering what would be a good project for Canapa -- a light sweater, or a small shawl? It's an intriguing yarn idea, and I do like knitting with hemp (you're right that all the hemp blend yarn I've used has been from Hemp for Knitting).

Thank you for making us ponder the possibilities, as always!

(And I couldn't resist answering the poll with "Honey, I've been knitting with hemp since before you were born." I love your polls.)

Jane

Betty needs a warm hat: Support KR
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: My Flickr Album

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe