Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitting gratitudes in 2009

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 12/28/2009 : 2:33:58 PM
I've been trying to collect the various metaphorical "souvenirs" of my 2009 and pack them away for safekeeping. I've come away with a few knitting-related things for which I'm extremely grateful this year. I thought I'd share them and see what yours are.

For starters, I'm grateful to all of you. I hope you know how sincerely I mean this. I love that we have this warm, bright, safe, comfortable little space to come whenever we need companionship, help, or inspiration. I watch newcomers arrive and make their first timid post, and I see others welcome them. I see people ask questions, and then I see others answer. And always - well, 99.9% always because we are human beings after all - I see a thoughtful and respectful discourse. Which makes me not only grateful but tremendously proud. I'd like to think that we can model here the kind of discourse I'd like to see in the bigger world. (And if it never turns up in the bigger world, well, we always have this place.)

What else? I'm grateful to all the little sheepies of the world, for willingly giving up their coats to us each year so that we may keep warm. Not just warm, but inspired and delighted and pleased in the truest tactile way. And I'm grateful to the world's sheep for giving me a reason to write a second book.

I'm grateful to knitting needle manufacturers for continuing to churn out pair after pair so that I may, in turn, continue to cast on stitch after stitch.

I'm grateful to designers for continuing to scribble with yarn and needles, take notes as they go, and transform those doodles into beautiful, workable projects. I'm equally grateful to technical editors for making the journey ahead of us so that we may avoid any landslides or broken bridges.

I'm so grateful to the first person who tried swapping the order of stitches and discovered the cable. And the first person who took scissors to her garment and (eeek!) showed us that steeks can happen. To all those people who came long before us and figured out so many essential things so that we can sit, play, and explore in a most luxurious manner.

And of course I'm grateful to the yarn companies of the world, the bold folks who continue, after year, to furnish us with our creative oxygen. I appreciate that they're paying more attention to source of their materials and the way those materials are processed, shining a brighter light on the process and bringing us more natural yarns that make our hands sing and won't sit in a landfill for 1,000 years. I'm equally grateful to the farms and small hand-dyers and individuals who strike out on their own to do the same.

It's a pretty incredible time to be a knitter, I'd say. What about you? Forget the dropped stitches, the snags, and the knots in our skeins, what knitterly things make you particularly grateful on this December afternoon?

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MeezieGirl Posted - 01/26/2010 : 7:23:29 PM
Well, better late than ....

I am so grateful to Clara for KR. It is a wonderful place to be a part of. I can't even remember when or how I discovered it, but thank God I did.

And more thanks and gratitude to Clara for her books!!! They have given me hours of reading and dreaming pleasure.

I am grateful to my husband for being the financial enabler of my addiction to yarn. Bless him, he lives with a crazy woman with too much wool. Yes, I know that's an oxymoron, but not to him!

I am grateful that my cats, all blue-eyed, do *not* have the Siamese tendency to EAT wool. And, in general, they leave it alone, and me, while I'm knitting.

Last, but by no means least, I am grateful beyond words to express that my beloved daughter, Sabetta, at 24 a PhD candidate in theoretical physics at UPenn, has become a crazy lace knitter and has blown me so far out of the water, with regards to knitting, that I'm in orbit. She's a true maniac, and do I love it? Let me count the ways!! She knit me the "Misty Blossom Stole" by Asami Kawa for Christmas. In her spare time. (!) Look on Ravelry to see her work. She goes by her name - Sabetta. (no, I'm not a proud mother, no, not at all)

Dee

You can take the girl out of New York, but you can't take New York out of the girl.

Consuelo Posted - 01/20/2010 : 06:39:43 AM
Wen, glad to hear you are better. Have a happy year.

Consuelo
"Tavel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Wen Posted - 01/20/2010 : 03:46:20 AM
A bit late here, but I would just like to say that I am grateful for the ability that knitting has to calm and relax me and give me a sense of achievement. 2009 was not a good year but I did manage to complete a number of things and complete them which is a major achievement when depressed.

I am now back working full time, feeling much better and I have my online communities and my abilities with sticks and string to thank for that.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2010

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
pmcyarns Posted - 01/08/2010 : 11:14:19 AM
I am so happy to have the time and interest to return to knitting and crochet after a 10 year time imposed sabbatical. I am also blessed to be part of a prayer shawl ministry that always gives me a guilt free need to "play with" yarn and meet others out of my daily path!
lella Posted - 01/05/2010 : 11:36:52 PM
I'm so grateful that after a VERY trying day enveloped in another hobby, albeit a dying one, I can come and read the loving thoughts and exchanges here in the KR. There's a lovely pace here. Just like the knitters that I have had the pleasure to meet in real life. Timeless, enduring beauty. Thank you.

Lella
Zippiknits
eldergirl Posted - 01/05/2010 : 6:30:25 PM
I am grateful for the kindliness and respect and affection in KR, as well as the wonderful cameraderie, humor, knitting wisdom and all the other benefits.

I was especially blessed by getting up my nerve to post on Night Owls, when I desperately needed companionship and comfort this year, and oh, how those NO's came through!

A big thank-you to all of you for the support which was palpable for me, and without which I know I would not have been sane.

New Year blessings to everyone,

Anna
Luann Posted - 01/03/2010 : 7:48:01 PM
I love reading what everyone has said - one thing I'm grateful for is the weekly KR newsletter, which is great in so many ways but especially helpful when Clara highlights a thread on the forums that I may have missed (such as this one!) Even though I check it 10 times a day, I still seem to miss things here or there.

Back at ya, NutmegOwl. As I said at this year's retreat, you guys are my knitting community. Even if I'd never met anyone in person, I'd feel connected to you all, and it has seen me through good times and bad. Just knowing you all are out there has seen me through some lonely nights. Special shout-out of gratitude to the Night Owl regulars, who hover like my guardian cyber-space angels.

It is indeed a wonderful time to be a knitter - speaking of which, I'm going to go do that. Just as soon as I walk Toddler Luann back to bed for the 3rd time tonight...

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
churchlady Posted - 01/02/2010 : 2:35:39 PM
I'm grateful for all you other knitters out there. Especially those I have knitted with in-person since I've joined the local Knitting Guild (one of last year's resolutions I made on a KR forum). I'm kind of shy even on-line, but the knitting resources on the internet are amazing, and growing just as fast as they were in 2003 when I started knitting again, and lurking at Knitters' Review. I'm also grateful I live in a big, urban area where LYS abound, and that the collapse of the hand-knitting retailers predicted by some has not happened due to the recession. I'm just really grateful for knitting--being able to do it, and to whoever thought it up to create fabric (socks?).
Sandra
Gibson Girl Posted - 01/02/2010 : 11:52:02 AM
The many good things to be thankful for have already been covered by all the previous posts. I keep coming back to this forum because no where else can I find persons as nutty as I am about knitting. I mean what do others do while they watch TV? I've gotten lots done this holiday football bowl season. Heaven knows there have been a lot of them. I'm also thankful for all the good ideas the members contribute. I've organized my needles, knit down my stash all because of things I've read here. I also learned how to knit with beads. Thank you all.
EirwenJ Posted - 01/02/2010 : 03:38:35 AM
I am grateful to all the wonderful knitters and fibre folk of this extraordainary commumity who have so immeasurably enriched my life.For the shared passion, for the kindness, compassion, the willingness to share and help in whatever way, for the many many times I have fallen over laughing, for the times I have cried. For the best friends I have ever had, thank you all so much.

And to echo Clara, many many many zillions of thanks to the sheepsies, goatsies,(angora/cashmere)yaks,vicuna(I wish!!!)guanaco, alpaca, silk worms and all other fibre producers I may have forgotten. If you can knit with it, you're on the list.Blessings on you all.I hope one day that I will get to knit with everything that's out there.

And lastly,I am so grateful to my lovely husband who endures a houseful of yarn and a completley obsessed wife with stoicism and great good humour, and never questions my yarn purchases,(well he does sometimes ask me whether I actually need anymore yarn)

Thank you thank you thank thank you thank you thank you.
XXXXX
Priscilla Kelly Posted - 01/01/2010 : 10:11:48 AM
I'm new to posting and really don't know how, so please bear with me.
In 2009 I have learned to knit socks! Love them and it's very easy.No matter what else I'm knitting there are always socks on my needles. I'm 80 so my eyes and hands don't always behave, but I manage some knitting every day, it helps me stay sane. I know I'm going to really enjoy this forum. Thank you for having me. Priscilla
Eleanor Posted - 01/01/2010 : 08:35:43 AM
I'm thankful that Clara has made this such a woderful site for us knitters. I've been here for quite some time now, my first knitting group on the Internet, and have made a few friends along the way, and I've always found the Forums a great place to exchange ideas, etc.
Here's hoping you all have a happy and healthy new year! 'Can't believe it's 2010 already! Where does the time go!?
Black Sheep Posted - 01/01/2010 : 05:02:13 AM
Gratitude is certainly in abundance here. Iím thankful and grateful for the generous offerings Mrs. Parkes makes available. The spirit of giving and helping seems to be contagious, because these thank you posts are full of it!

As a writer who is determined to have a spot in the wonderful world of fibers, I'm grateful to have this type of resource, along with other efforts initiated by or participated in by Mrs. Parkes.

When I see her name connected to an event, or product, I always take a second look at it. Trustworthiness isn't an every day commodity you know!
::o)
Linda Sparkman

linda lee sparkman
hillstreetmama Posted - 12/31/2009 : 8:54:43 PM
I'm so grateful that I stumbled on this site a few years ago. I've learned a lot, and "met" a lot of interesting people. Because of this place, at knitting night at the LYS, they think I'm somewhat of an expert! I'm always willing to help, to teach, to pass on what I've learned, but find it amusing that people assume I've been knitting for decades. Thank you, everyone, for making this site what it is.

Jan
Atavistic Posted - 12/31/2009 : 6:29:07 PM
I'm grateful that no matter what crazy knitting idea I come up with, I end up getting Milinda's support and guidance on how to make it work! I NEVER would've attempted to knit Heather so quickly without her saying it was possible. I never would've designed and knit my own skirt done with fingering weight cotton without her saying she thought it was a good idea. And the only reason I even dreamed up knitting an entire DRESS on size 1 needles with sock yarn (!) was because years ago, we spent days poring over vintage McCall's and Vogue knitting magazines, appreciating the dresses of the 20s, 30s, 40, and 50s! I met Milinda through KR and that's reason enough for me to love it!

"I'm telling you, we're in a M. Night Shyamalan flick."
crazyknits Posted - 12/31/2009 : 4:40:39 PM
I am grateful for this beautiful "art" that has been passed down through the generations and for always learning something new with each project I choose. This year I have especially enjoyed knitting lace and working with some of the finer yarns. Most of all, I am grateful for all the people who design the wonderful knitting I get to make.
CatherineM Posted - 12/31/2009 : 2:10:50 PM
I'm grateful for so many things, but especially the genuine friendships made through KR, and the reliable source of good vibes and good advice that exists here. I'm grateful that I'm still here with reasonably functional brain and eyesight, and for the health and success and happy lives of my kids, and for the granddaughter who will make her appearance in March and has given me a reason to make baby things, which are of course nearly instant knitting gratification, thus forming a perfect loop of gratitudinous goodness. I'm just grateful for all the good stuff of life, including knitting.

Catherine
http://yorkiedog.blogspot.com
knitrigued Posted - 12/31/2009 : 12:55:03 PM
Like so many, I am grateful that Knitter's Review exists and that I was fortunate enough to stumble across it during one of many attempts for help in my knitting. The help you wonderful knitter's have provided is invaluable, especially since I'm self-taught and know no other knitters. Reading through the forum archives and current topics, the members never fail to impress me with their knitting knowledge and willingness to help those of us "in knitting need." As someone who generally keeps to herself and family, the fact that I'm actually posting (which I've never done anywhere else in all my years of using the internet) is a testament to how strongly I value Knitter's Review and it's helpful and giving members.

Being somewhat of a technical person, knitting satisfies my need for complexity and problem solving, which I was often challenged with at work before I became a stay at home mother of an 8 year, 5 year and 13 month old. Also, I'm happy there are so many knitting books to choose from. At times, I find reading a knitting book as satisfying as knitting.

I'm grateful for my family who encourages and supports my love of knitting. Whenever Iím logically teetering on a knitting related purchase (i.e. Thatís a clever and/or useful tool. That would be nice to have. But will I use it enough? Do I really need it?), my husband states matter of fact ďJust get it. Itís part of something you love to do.Ē My childrenís look of amazement and compliments, when I actually complete a knitting project, are precious and appreciated. How lucky I feel.

Although I donít have the time to knit nearly as much as Iíd like, Iím so grateful that I discovered this wonderful skill and am happy to know itís there waiting for me whenever time permits.

B.
abt1950 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 12:43:20 PM
I am grateful for so many things. I'm grateful for having a wonderful LYS with a wonderful LYSO. I am grateful to those who create the fibers, designs, and tools that make knitting such a joyful act. I'm grateful to Clara, for providing KR, and to all of you here for providing an ongoing sense of community to this formerly solitary knitter.

Most of all, I'm just grateful.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
marfa Posted - 12/31/2009 : 11:21:32 AM
How do.

How I love thinking of the good things & reasons for gratitude for the year that is about to close. W/ all that has gone on this year, it's a beautiful thing to reflect on goodness.

KR has brought, to me, a baseline of close friendships, a well of creativity, pockets of goodness, the urge to improve my knitting skills, a fabulous Retreat, an extraordinary book from our beloved Clara, lots of knitterly info.

Many thanks to you all & biggie thanks to you, sweet Clara.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe