Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 When knitting starts affecting people around you..

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
minh Posted - 10/26/2009 : 2:13:29 PM
I thought it would be fun to share stories of what people around us (significant other, family, friends, coworkers) do or say because they know we are knitters.

They all know that they have to wait til we finish that row but what else do they know?

Off the top of my head:
- DH can tell you what the magic loop technique is and how to use it
- DH can recognize Sundara yarn without its tags, just from the dyeing job.
- Coworkers tell me about yarn stores they've passed while running errands (in case I didn't know about them) or movies that have knitting in them
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lella Posted - 08/20/2011 : 09:14:44 AM
Hahahahaha! So very like a KR Knit Krazy.

Be sure to share that URL!

Lella

Zippiknits

"Life is good if you don't weaken." Calvin Coolidge
robinstephanie Posted - 08/19/2011 : 11:00:37 PM
I know this is an old thread, but it's so great I'm resurrecting it. Last night I was lying in bed reading a book and I needed more light. Instead of saying to my boyfriend, "I need more light," it came out, "I need more yarn." After we died laughing, he said, "I bet you're going to post that on Knitter's Review."

He also jokes about starting a new website, called "Knitters Husband's Review" (Partner's Review? Significant Other's Review?) where all our significant others can come and post about us and our knitting, and how weird and obsessed we are. Oh, and how much they love us.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
manyhorsesmane Posted - 11/24/2009 : 4:41:49 PM
I've learned not to count out loud...My DH antagonizes me on purpose until I give him the Evil Eye...but even that doesn't work now..

He has relented and now when I'm too busy to sit still on Day Off, he tells me to "come, sit down and knit or something..."

I'm left to wonder, is that a good thing or bad thing? :)

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art. ~Leonardo da Vinci
eldergirl Posted - 11/04/2009 : 4:52:44 PM
This thread is a joy to read!

And I have to recant a bit from my earlier post where I said none of my menfolk responded to my knitting at all:
Lately, after all the trauma and pain associated with the death of our son from cancer, he has actually said, "You look harassed, darling, why don't you knit on the blanket?"

I was touched and amazed.

And my DS (the one who passed away) sent me a silly photo last year of a black cat on a chair with a huge mess of turquoise yarn all over the place, and the cat with an insouciant expression, like "Moi?" (DS had a very black, very cute cat.)

Thanks for helping me to remember the good stuff!

Anna
bearknitter Posted - 11/04/2009 : 11:38:05 AM
I recently had a birthday, and many of the presents had to do with knitting: a very generous gift certificate from my boss of one year from a local knitting store, a check from my mother telling me to get something for knitting, a cash gift from friends with a note saying "follow your passions" and a verbal statement "we know it will be yarn."

My favorite present was from my sister who drove me to the ocean, provided me with a picnic lunch, and we sat and knitting a pair of socks we designed together. I'm not able to walk well, and knitting in a warm car overlooking the Pacific with a loved one is the perfect present. I gave that to her over a year ago when she injured her knee and wanted knitting lessons so she could make better bears for the Mother Bear Project.
ClimberKnits Posted - 11/03/2009 : 4:35:30 PM
I always thought that husband just tolerated my knitting as a dotty kind of hobby. "What ever keeps her happy..." In mid-September I took up spinning, too. The other night he came home and asked "spinning or plying?" Huh?? I had to actually remember to close my jaw. He's not as oblivious as he seems.

My college-aged son has picked up some ordered yarn for me at the LYS in the city where he goes to school. When he explained that he was doing mom a favor, the ladies there made such a fuss over him that he asked me if any "younger" girls knitted and if so, could I send him there when they were around?
queen of the east Posted - 11/03/2009 : 3:02:51 PM
When my DH enters the livingroom and sees that I am counting stitches(he has learned to be observant after having had a close encounter of the angry knitter kind. Hey it was lace!) he will exit the room or say "I'll just shut up and wait till you're done".
A few years ago, DH asked me to give him a yarn tutorial, he wanted to be able to distinguish synthetic fibers from natural ones as well as learning about different weights of yarn. Since then he has scored some great deals on yarn at thrift shops and yard sales.
My brother sends me all sorts of knitting related links. He is very much into cycling and discovered some knitting patterns for cycling related acessories on -line, I've knit several of them for him. He shows them off to his cycling buddies. He has also started to educate himself about different types of wool, I supect he would like to learn how to knit.

Ann in Montreal
NutmegOwl Posted - 11/03/2009 : 1:54:33 PM
In my last job, I spent about 8 hours a week on LONG conference calls. Since I had an office with a door, that added up to a LOT of knitting time, and I'd pay far better attention on the calls because I wasn't distracted.

DH knows that these days, my knitting time is reclaimed time I should be sleeping and doing other things ... so when we travel, he is always the one to ask, "Is there a yarn shop you want to visit?" and when he's feeling particularly nice on a weekend, will volunteer, "Why don't you go knitting for awhile, I'll take care of Darling Bebe." What's funny is that when I frog, it wounds him. The guy shudders. He thinks it's so painful that I would rip back to fix something.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
pmcyarns Posted - 11/02/2009 : 08:48:45 AM
Now that I'm moved my stash into a recently vacated closet and most of my work goes to charity, I don't hear too many complaints. On the way home on a long car trip, I was missing one knitting needle and my DH admitted to dropping my knitting bag while loading the car. I was furious and frustrated but couldn't vent because friends were traveling with us. Being the good man that he is, my DH stopped at the next shopping center so I could replace the needle. Saved the project, my sanity and my relationship! I carry a book light to use after dark so I can still knit/crochet and not disturb the driver. Many a project has been done on the road.
SpunKnit Posted - 11/01/2009 : 06:24:24 AM
This is a fun read! My DH knows the lingo, like psso or ssk. He amazed me recently when he rattled off a bunch of abbreviations and the meaning in front of my mom. He's alright in my book! My family has come to accept that wherever I am, there will be knitting.

My Ravelry
Inane Knitting Babble
lella Posted - 11/01/2009 : 12:03:38 AM
quote:
Knit a Snuggy - you know, one of those blankets with sleeves! That will fix her! Do it in all stockinette.

Lol Anita, at first reading I thought that was that sort of little straight jacket thing if you put it on wrong you can't get out of it.

I SO need to do that and gift it to her.

But a Snuggy would keep her guessing, and she probably wouldn't copy it. I could try make it all in cables and bobbles, with rows of little intarsia copycats. ya... just the thing. But stockinette would drive her crazy... so many ways to go on this thing...

This thread is so much fun to read! What a gas!

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
lisastitch@comcast.net Posted - 10/31/2009 : 2:55:12 PM
My husband and I were on our way out of town when I managed to drop and lose my row counter (in the car!). I didn't have a spare one, so I was trying to figure out how to manage. He pulled off the freeway, and I asked what he was doing, he told me that my car thought there was a Michael's at this offramp. There wasn't, but he parked and helped me search the car. Since we still didn't find it, he pulled off again half-an-hour later in the next town, again trying to find a Michaels. When we made it to a yarn shop the next day, he reminded me that I needed a row counter.
KnittingKittens Posted - 10/31/2009 : 05:22:28 AM
My dear brother is very supportive and always thrilled with his hand-knits. He has stood and posed patiently while I measure him up and mumble to myself. He thinks the Aran sweater I knit for him brings him luck with women. I think the women ask about the knits to see if he is attached. I also have a wonderful friend who travels the world and brings me yarn he finds. He told me that he actually looks for the stuff! Last time it was yarn from Chile and he gave me about 6 huge balls of yarn in bright colors along with a pair of hand-carved knitting needles. We went to Las Vegas a few years ago and he sat in a yarn shop for an hour while I browsed. He was looking at knitting patterns which impressed and delighted all the gals in the shop. That is what I call a good brother and a good friend!
njzube@aol.com Posted - 10/30/2009 : 10:00:22 AM
I take my knitting to Bible class simply because I listen and remember better when my hands are busy. My classmates laugh because I never look at what my hands are doing, yet it seems to relax me so much they in turn, relax. I am making a sweater for our "leader", and with the smiles are wonderment from both the knitters and non-knitters, and their tolerance of my "need to knit", I feel like it is a gift from all of us. Jz
amazing grace Posted - 10/30/2009 : 07:29:08 AM
My husband started knitting as a result of seeing my FO's. He used to crochet, but discovered that he enjoys knitting more. Socks and scarves are his normal projects, whereas I do lace and sweaters.

Our cat Heidi loves to snuggle up to someone who is knitting. If she sees you pick up the latest knitting project, she bounds across the living room and settles in next to either one of us. DH has a better lap, so she will make an attempt for his lap with the project draped over her. When she knits with me, she usually attempts to curl up on my ball of yarn.

http://ramblingrace.blogspot.com
lucienh Posted - 10/30/2009 : 06:49:35 AM
DH has picked up the vocabulary -- while doing our kitchen remodeling, he announced, "Damn it, I'm going to have to frog the whole wall."

New blog, not about knitting, but I bet it keeps sneaking in: http://greenbananascancerblog.blogspot.com/
empressgeorge Posted - 10/29/2009 : 5:47:05 PM
I have two daughters, one of whom (age 24)is crazy for my hand-knitted socks and fingerless gloves, the other (age 21)is in love with hats and scarves with stranded colorwork. I just finished making the Witch Cat Hat free download on Ravelry) in time for Halloween, and she loves it. I usually have at least one project for each daughter on the needles at all times. DH treats my knitting with respect, but his eyes go out of focus when I talk about yarn or patterns. As if there is anything else more interesting to talk about . . .
Clara Posted - 10/29/2009 : 12:31:16 PM
I am loving these stories - and Anita, that definitely made me laugh. So glad I could come in handy at the perfect moment!

As for me, my postmistress makes me open all yarn packages so she can see what they are. "Ohhh this one came from some farm in Colorado, can I see?" she'll ask. A good day is when folks in line also want to see, and we all stand around oohing and aahing and chatting about yarn. (One of the benefits of living in such a small town, I guess.)

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Aleigh Posted - 10/29/2009 : 12:09:29 PM

I knew that DH knew I had insomnia, I didn't know that he knew how it affected the quality of my knitting until one early a.m. when he threw out a warning on his way back to bed, "Knit today, frog tomorrow!"
achrisvet Posted - 10/29/2009 : 09:04:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by lella

My SIL who is very competitive, knits anything new that I knit, like socks, for instance. I am thinking of knitting a parachute.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker

Knit a Snuggy - you know, one of those blankets with sleeves! That will fix her! Do it in all stockinette.

Anita
My completed projects

and here

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe