Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 What happened to Sock Clubs?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GFTC Posted - 09/26/2009 : 3:45:28 PM
I feel as though for a while everyone was buzzing about this sock club and that sock club and lotteries for getting into them and stalking websites waiting for registration to open and spoiler alerts and all sorts of hysteria about them.

Now, I don't hear (OK, read) a word about sock clubs. Are they sooooo 2008 or have they gone underground?

Are you participating anymore?

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bluelustrecat Posted - 12/09/2009 : 07:34:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by abt1950

Noallatin, I'm with you on the foot size issue. Every sock I knit has to be upsized at least a little. That's more possible for some patterns than for others.

Also, a friend was in a sock club. She didn't care for her experience that much, and I didn't particularly care for the patterns she got. I'm taking that as a lesson for me.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper

Chappysmom Posted - 10/12/2009 : 3:19:46 PM
Not only that, though, but in this economy, sock clubs for gorgrous, handpainted yarns is a huge investment. Treating yourself to one or two skeins when you feel flush is one thing, but committing to a monthly installment adds up very quickly!

Deb in NJ
http://chappysmom.com/ and http://knittingscholar.com/

And, need a Freelance writer? http://punctualityrules.com/
lella Posted - 10/12/2009 : 2:12:22 PM
Getting into this late, *cough* I really like socks but have never been tempted to join a sock club. There was one ages ago somewhere else and the pattern and the yarn color were so unappealing to me, that it scared me off.

O I <3 the idea of bagging my own that GFTC invented. What a great idea.

And I would love to have people to knit socks with, my DDs or any other knitting, semi-radical progressives, but they are thin on the ground here in my woods.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
midnightskyfibers Posted - 10/12/2009 : 12:07:39 PM
As someone who used to run a sock (and other) club, I can say...well, it gets old to dye *that many* of one color of one type of yarn all at once. I would rather make kits and small dyelots.

---
Midnightsky Fibers Naturally Dyed Handspun Yarn & Fiber Dyed using only natural dyes and non toxic mordants on luxurious and unique fibers.
sydo Posted - 10/11/2009 : 4:23:31 PM
Further evidence of the decline of sock clubs and perhaps even the over-saturation of the sock knitting market is the growing number of patterns-other-than-socks for sock yarns. There seems to be an increase in the fingering weight, one skein, shawlette patterns. After all, we all have only one neck each, not two. At any rate, I have a lot of sock yarn and I find myself intrigued by such patterns lately. Perhaps I am not alone!

Sydo
phlame Posted - 10/08/2009 : 5:35:18 PM
I have to say...although I have avoided the sock clubs...that this is a very interesting topic. I have enjoyed reading all your opinions and ideas about the sock clubs. I probably have enough yarn and patterns to start my own sock club!

Shirley, Dana Point, CA

...To much is not enough!
hcdarmara@earthlink.net Posted - 10/08/2009 : 08:23:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by PBELKNAP

The main reasons I haven't joined a sock club is that:

b) Due to my tendonitis, I have a tough time knitting anything with needles smaller than #3. I'm currently working on socks using a size #1, and I can only work on them for so long before I'm in pain. Usually, when I knit socks, I knit "house socks" where I can use size #5 or higher.

Off topic -- about the tendonitis -- depending on what triggers it for you, you might find as I did that it gets better with a different knitting or tensioning technique. I'm a confirmed (40 year) continental knitter, so when I got tendonitis in my left index finger, I was really stuck. I tried keeping it close to the left needle -- slight improvement, because it just kept sticking back out to control the tension.

Then I found Portuguese knitting. Because you create a pulley between your knitting and the hand that does the tensioning, you can use the big muscles in your arm and hand rather than little muscles. Of course, I expect that eventually my left thumb may get sore from "flicking" but no problems yet.

Sorry about the thread jack.

Helen

PAM

WIP = Hourglass Sweater (knit), Socks (knit), Victorian Christmas Rug (crochet), Knit Your Bit WWII Museum Scarf (crochet).
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple (crochet), Socks (knit - 3 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity Squares (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), Brown Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet), DROPS Crochet Cardigan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...

[/quote]
calicokitty6 Posted - 10/03/2009 : 08:36:39 AM
I like the idea of bagging a yarn with a copy of a pattern and having surprises from your own stash. I will try doing that. Lately, I've been dyeing some of my own yarns and fibers to use as well. I don't have plans to sell them, so I'm just having fun playing.

I wish I lived in Portland as well since that sounds like a wonderful club idea.

Right now, I'm still in one sock club and two fiber clubs. They are both wonderful, but, I don't plan to renew since my stash is extremely large. Sock yarn is being used for shawls, mitts, scarves, and hats as well as socks. I was in a couple of others people's in the past, but, decided one was enough and didn't renew. The same thing happened with the fiber clubs. I just can't knit or spin fast enough to keep up with the shipments.
Most sock clubs seem to be similar in ideas, with a pattern and yarn, maybe a little something extra. The dyer of one of the fiber and sock yarn clubs I'm still in does hers a bit different in that every member has an individually custom dyed skein every shipment with no two colors ever alike or sent to another member. Her fiber club is the same way, with everyone getting a different color fiber. To do this, you answered a questionaire at the beginning of the club to tailor your skeins/fiber to you.

=^..^= Debbie http://calicokitty6.blogspot.com
PBELKNAP Posted - 10/02/2009 : 12:21:28 PM
The main reasons I haven't joined a sock club is that:

a) I like to knit other things besides socks, and I'd probably end up knitting nothing BUT socks, just to keep up with the monthly projects.

b) Due to my tendonitis, I have a tough time knitting anything with needles smaller than #3. I'm currently working on socks using a size #1, and I can only work on them for so long before I'm in pain. Usually, when I knit socks, I knit "house socks" where I can use size #5 or higher.

PAM

WIP = Hourglass Sweater (knit), Socks (knit), Victorian Christmas Rug (crochet), Knit Your Bit WWII Museum Scarf (crochet).
YTD: Shadow Jacket (crochet), Snowflake Sweater (knit), Round Ripple (crochet), Socks (knit - 3 pairs), Cot'n Corn Eyelet Rib Top (knit), Crochet Hook Bag (Double Crochet), Charity Squares (knit), Armenius Sweater (knit), Brown Sweater (knit), Entrelac Scarf (tunisian crochet), DROPS Crochet Cardigan (crochet)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

If I could only do this for a living...
anderknit Posted - 10/02/2009 : 11:17:11 AM
But GFTC, I still really love the concept, and I wouldn't think of asking for my money back! And aside from the Pomotomous, I resealed the bags and I know that someday I'll grab one and it will be the perfect project for me.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
abt1950 Posted - 10/02/2009 : 10:09:20 AM
Deb, that sounds like a great idea! I'm a Portland girl at heart (grew up there) and would join in a second if I still lived there.

I've started doing the Sock Knitters Anonymous monthly challenges on Ravelry. There's a clubby feeling but you get to do your own thing as long as it's within the guidelines of the monthly challenges, which are pretty broad. Last month it was anything in yellow, any Wendy Johnson sock, or a mystery sock in yellow designed by Nancy Bush. I did a Wendy Johnson sock and the mystery sock, although not in yellow. The mystery sock was a real kick (so to speak), although my red yarn made it not officially part of the challenge. The idea of the group is to stretch your knitting muscles, and the mystery sock certainly did that.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
GFTC Posted - 10/01/2009 : 7:21:29 PM
Anderknit, thank you for not asking for a refund!

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
anderknit Posted - 10/01/2009 : 6:59:58 PM
The only one I belong to is the one GFTC suggested awhile ago: take a skein of sock yarn from your stash, match it to a pattern, place in bag, seal. Repeat 6-12 times. Stack bags in a closet or on bookshelf. Grab bag monthly, quarterly, whatever, and start knitting. And even with that, I haven't knit a single sock this year. I had about 7 identical lunch bags lined up, each with yarn and pattern. I grabbed one and it was Pomotomous. I began and decided I didn't like the big holes. (Heresy, I know.) I grabbed another before a trip and the pattern was too complicated for a plane trip, I decided. I grabbed another before some other trip and realized the yarn wasn't wound and I didn't have time to wind it. So no, even my very own sock club isn't working for me.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
valleruata Posted - 10/01/2009 : 07:11:21 AM
And here I am starting a new sock club. hahaha
I've belonged to several and have way to many projects to finish. I had decided to take this year off to do just that. Until I got an idea! What I don't care for in sock clubs is that I don't feel part of a "club". So I am starting one in Portland (this month) where we all meet for lunch to receive our kits. We get to meet the designer and dyer for each month and really get to know everyone in the group. I've been asked to offer it in the mail. The only way for it to keep the same feel would be for a small group to sign up and have lunch to create their own community feel. I am going to include the recipes from our lunches to help with that.
Deb in Portland, Or
jeanhal Posted - 10/01/2009 : 03:17:47 AM
I belonged to a Sock Club in 2008-losing my job in the same year-and being able to find part-time work only, made an easy decision to give up the club in '09. What I learned from the experience is-
1)I have way too much sock yarn (yarn period, but trying to stay on topic) I counted recently and have 61 PAIR worth to knit
2)I have yet to knit any of the sock yarn I got in the club-I have used a couple patterns though & my husband loves one of them.
3)The decision was made to buy several of the new sock books, download several patterns (both free and paid for)and use those to knit the yarn I have.

I agree that the 1000(+) clubs that were out there needed to be knocked down, but I don't see sock knitting going anywhere anytime soon. It is too fun, easy, and gives one the ability to try new techniques and patterns without a lot invested.

So, no new clubs for me-and no new sock yarn either-at least until that new one calls my name---Still looking for Hedwig Colorway!

Jean
http://abcriversedge.typepad.com/
abt1950 Posted - 09/30/2009 : 9:24:14 PM
It certainly doesn't seem to reflect a decrease in the popularity of socks. There are so many wonderful sock books that either have come out in the last few months or will be coming out soon. Maybe that and the Sock Summit sated everyone's thirst for clubs?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
Lanea Posted - 09/29/2009 : 09:20:09 AM
The clubs seem to be a heck of a lot of work for the dyer/yarn company. I see the financial reward in presales, of course, but it must be very stressful to have a monthly deadline always looming. That must be compounded by knowing that some participants may complain about a given months' colorway or pattern.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.com/
Read my audiobook reviews: http://booksforears.com/
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Katheroni Posted - 09/29/2009 : 08:30:16 AM
Maybe the folks who like that sort of thing just got tired of it?

Of course, I've never had the foggiest idea why it would appeal to anyone at all.
kbshee Posted - 09/29/2009 : 08:01:28 AM
I'm still in one (Woolgirl, like Minh). I've noticed several dyers (Wollmeise, Posh) are not continuing with clubs; Posh reports they'll be doing more one-off kits. Jen at Woolgirl does great one-off kits too. So maybe that's where the knititng industry is going.

Or else, maybe we all have enough sock yarn, finally! I know I have at least 5 years of sock yarn in my stash.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
fiddlerbird555 Posted - 09/28/2009 : 2:48:22 PM
I never did the "sock club" thing. I have little enough time to knit, both in hours and number of stitches, that I will ONLY knit projects that I have chosen for myself.

Not sock club, not mystery KAL, nada.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe