Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Your favorite way to join circulars?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reteng Posted - 07/29/2009 : 10:20:42 AM
One of the biggest lessons I've learned since I took up knitting seriously is that there are often many ways to a accomplish the same thing. My question concerns joining two circulars after casting on. Charlene Schurch just says to start knitting and the join takes care of itself. Cat Bordhi suggests casting on one extra and knitting two together to join. Other books use the "switch one stitch from one needle to the other" approach. I've tried all three, but since there's so much experience on this forum, I 'm wondering which way you prefer?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mertle Posted - 08/02/2009 : 12:35:54 AM
I cast on one extra stitch. After making sure my stitches are not twisted, I move the extra stitch to my right needle and pass my first stitch (actually my initial slip knot) over it. Then I turn my knitting (or sometimes not), place my center marker, and take off knitting. Works like a charm!

Later when weaving ends, sometimes I'll even untie that slip knot and weave in. Depends on how things look. When I'm really lucky, I can't even tell where I began.

(This is not original with me. I read it here on KR somewhere a long while back.)

Marilyn
My Bags
lella Posted - 08/01/2009 : 6:24:00 PM
I cast on one extra and knit the first and last together at the beginning.

Well, duh, yes some one did mention that little close the last stitch thing..

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
fwshorty Posted - 08/01/2009 : 08:31:04 AM
I just start knitting. I've tried switching the first and last stitches, but I find it tricky and usually end up stretching the stitches too much so it comes out worse!

Eileen
Lelani Posted - 08/01/2009 : 08:23:54 AM
I usually do the first and last stitch thing as well. Seems to work well

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
jtamsn Posted - 07/30/2009 : 04:14:05 AM
I used to just start knitting, but I have taken to switching the first and last stitches. I find this method eliminates that "ladder" that often results with just knitting.
judy
Mocha Posted - 07/29/2009 : 7:42:12 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I had been wanting to try Cat Bordhi's suggestion but forgot (yes, you can guess my answer, I just knit straight).
abt1950 Posted - 07/29/2009 : 6:01:49 PM
I usually cast on an extra stitch and do the knit two together bit.

When I'm really lazy, I cast on the number of stitches called for in the pattern and knit the second row straight. I join on the third round and use the tail to do a mini-seam when I'm done with the sock. This method makes it easier to not twist the stitches when you join the round.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
susanh Posted - 07/29/2009 : 5:31:12 PM
I cast on one extra and slip it to the working needle and knit those first 2 stitches together.
kadiddly Posted - 07/29/2009 : 1:10:44 PM
I just start knitting =)

You can't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Blackstage Stitches
jaymeKnits Posted - 07/29/2009 : 12:15:41 PM
I usually do the switch the first and last stitches thing. But sometimes i just leave it as is and smooth it out when I weave in the end. It just depends on your personal preferences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signature? Who needs a signature?

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe