Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 So what will be next?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hillstreetmama Posted - 07/22/2009 : 6:12:30 PM
What do you predict will be the next innovation to catch on in the knitting world? Or, what would you like to see in the knitting future?

I would personally like a way to store all the patterns I find on the net in an orderly, easily retrievable format. (If I owned a laptop, that would help!) I would also like them to be very portable, so I could toss my pattern-of-the-moment in my bag and go. Right now, they're in plastic sleeves, in notebooks that have categories that are so vague that I sometimes forget what I put where and why!

Jan
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
abt1950 Posted - 07/28/2009 : 12:13:44 PM
I needlepoint too and have a bunch of projects backed up and a couple (3?) of UFOs. Some things never change.

My theory is that after awhile,if you're a knitter, you get to the point where you (and everyone you know even slightly) have enough hats, socks, scarves, shawls,sweaters, dishcloths, pillows, and whatever else to last for years. Then you switch to needlelpoint.

You needlepoint until every wall of the house is filled with needlepoint images, every couch has 10 pillows, you have more glasses cases, coasters, ipod covers and whatever than you or anyone around you will ever need. Then you go back to knitting or onto the next craft.

SABLE may not be the right term, but FOs can reach a similar level.

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
mjmj57 Posted - 07/28/2009 : 08:29:56 AM
I needlepoint and knit-learned to needlepoint in college and started knitting about 5 years ago. I go back and forth between them-not sure which I like better-I guess I like them the same. If you do a Google search for needlepoint, you will find lots of places that sell both hand painted canvases (my favorite) or patterns. I love learning new stitches for needlepoint and have found that sometimes my needlepoint skills crossover into my knitting-bullions come to mind. I really like making Christmas ornaments and I have done a number of belts. I like the portability of needlepoint and the great variety of fibers for your work. MJ

Mary Jo
hillstreetmama Posted - 07/26/2009 : 08:49:51 AM
Knitfan2 - Your kids will thank you someday for doing that! My grandparents didn't, and my parents had to do it. Lots and lots of work, and we ended up getting rid of things that we now wish we'd kept. It was just so overwhelming that we chucked it all. (Well, actually, most of it went on a sale, but WE didn't keep any of it!) Just be sure to keep enough of your stash to keep you busy for a decade or two!

Jan
knitfan2 Posted - 07/25/2009 : 6:10:16 PM
SABLE is Stash Above and Beyond Life Expectancy. I have retired and now it is time to downsize, not just the knitting stuff but throughout the house. I'm going through closets and giving away or selling anything that the kids don't want. It feels good!
socker Posted - 07/25/2009 : 4:43:07 PM
SABLE - not sure what each letter is for, but, it's stash beyond life expection.

I never really got into needlepoint, I did a few peices in the 70's and 80's, but, for years I did non stop cross stitch. I still have one peice on the frame that I a keep promising myself I'll finish. Hasn't happened in 6 years.

As far as storing 'net patterns, while I do print a few, most are on my hard drive. I 'print' them to Word, then store them on my hard drive sorted by clothing / household / etc the clothing is then sorted by socks/ gloves/ hats etc, household by dishcloths / afghans/ etc When I am ready to use the pattern then it gets printed and slid into sheet protectors and into my work bag with the yarn and needles, ready to go.
hillstreetmama Posted - 07/25/2009 : 4:04:19 PM
What is SABLE?

I am constantly printing patterns from the computer, sometimes getting them into plastic sleeves, sometimes they set beside the computer for months. Patterns can disappear from the net, so I learned to print them out if I want them. (Case in point - the UGG booties that were on Knitty Gritty. I didn't print them out the first time I saw them, and now that I want them, they're gone.) I downloaded a 22 page book that I purchased by Ysolda, and haven't a clue how to store it....in 11 plastic sleeves, I suppose?

Jan
lella Posted - 07/24/2009 : 10:08:23 PM
My needlepoint interest was tweaked when my sister wanted to start needlepoint again a couple of years ago, and then again recently. We started digging out our old stuff. Then things went fruit basket upset in her life and she lost her verve. I need to bring it up again. She needs to have this art, and she makes gorgeous stuff just from pictures.

Like Knitfan2, I started out making quilts when my eldest was 2. My auntie and grandmother both made them so they inspired me. I will never give it up entirely. It's way too much fun. Oh, knitfan, you can design from your own photos, which you graph. It's that old grid plan for copying paintings that the Victorian and Edwardian ladies used to use when they visited Venice.

Dixie, that's where all mine are, in binders in sleeves, or in files in a folder on a disk that I update from time to time. You would think that it was time to stop collecting patterns! but no.. There are lovely ones coming out all the time.

Don't you all think that it's just human nature to collect little bits and pieces and store them away in maybe little leather pouches,or even under the sleeping platform in the cave in a hole dug for treasures? I think so. We love color and it always will draw us in. Pretty bits or rocks. you know.. stuff!

ooooo... kindle.. oooo

Steph, fran is just a genius! That ten min rule is so good!

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
tink_r_bell Posted - 07/24/2009 : 1:07:57 PM
Coincidence, I think not! I used to needlepoint constantly, at work, in the car (not driving!): chair covers, pillows, a Xmas picture. Then in the middle of a beautiful pueblo piece, I quit. Who knows why. We purchased a house in Albuquerque this spring (still living in Casper, WY, kids living ABQ while finishing PhD,s) and thought of the picture. I located the picture, pulled out some stitches that had obviously provided a feast for moths, and am adding it to my 10 minute rule (I learned from KR). 10 min black socks (never again), 10 multi-colored socks, 10 needlepoint, and the rest of the evening on my beloved blanket, also for ABQ! Rosie Grier needelpointed through his long football career (dating myself)!

Will wonders never cease!

Steph ;-}

To err is human, just try not to over do it.
knitfan2 Posted - 07/24/2009 : 09:57:01 AM
Like, Lella, I have collected all the knitting stuff that I need or want. I have the SABLE syndrome. I've even decided to let my magazine subscriptions expire and have given away many, many bags of yarn in an effort to de-stash.

Lately, I've had a strong urge to return to quilting. I won't quit knitting because I still love it, but I feel like making time for quilting too. And I feel like doing more crochet too.

I hadn't heard that about needlepoint...interesting. I never could get into needlepoint because I can't draw well enough to do my own designs and the geometric designs don't interest me. If I can't do the designing, it's not creative enough for me. But it will be interesting to watch this trend from the sidelines.
Dicksie Posted - 07/24/2009 : 09:48:26 AM
My problem is organization. I have patterns downloaded to my PC, copied and placed in page protectors (some are actually filed in appropriate 3-ring binders), and then there's my Ravelry queue. I'm not sure there will be time to get to all of them. The needlepoint interest is intrigueing. I have a Starmore kit that I purchased at one of her workshops years ago, that I honestly intend to finish one day. The only piece I've actually completed is the American flag I made after 9/11, which I'm quite proud of. Oh yes, the Starmore Celtic bookmark is in constant use - tiny stitches in silk floss (must take a photo of that one!). I think the portability of needlepoint can be troublesome. That's one of the great things about knitting (unless I'm knitting fair isle). Oops, better stop, I'm getting off-topic.

http://tourdirector.smugmug.com/gallery/529635
Sara Sue Posted - 07/24/2009 : 06:06:24 AM
Just read an article where Amazon removed Orwell's 1984 previously downloaded from everyone's Kindle because of copyright issues. They did refund the money to the buyers but this does raise some interesting questions. I keep many of my patterns on my PC.
Coolj Posted - 07/24/2009 : 05:04:59 AM
I was intrigued by Jan's question and visualized a Kindle for knitting patterns. Right now, I have all my patterns filed and placed in a box, but it's very unhandy to get to and then find the one I want at the time.
Juanita

PS--I don't own a Kindle because I love the feel of a book in my hands. However, perhaps someday . . .. Nah, I probably never will.
hillstreetmama Posted - 07/24/2009 : 04:05:18 AM
Interesting to think needlepoint might be surging to the foreground. I don't know anyone personally that does it, or anyplace that sells supplies. I will have to be on the lookout.

Jan
lella Posted - 07/23/2009 : 3:08:24 PM
Me, too, Sara Sue, at least three, but they've been stored for several years. Shame on me. And sure understand about that light issue and magnification. Lol.. you gave me a chuckle.. thanks!

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
Sara Sue Posted - 07/23/2009 : 04:14:03 AM
I've already got a needlepoint project in the works - a christmas stocking for my DIL. NOT a cheap hobby but then nothing I ever do is. I've been working on this one since Jan. and am about 1/3 of the way finished. It is going to be gorgeous. I alternate it with the knitting cause I really love to knit. I don't think I'll be doing a lot of needlepoint though - at my advanced age it requires every visual aid known to mankind.
lella Posted - 07/22/2009 : 11:46:36 PM
Jan, to answer your question, I have about all I ever care to have for knitting, including the ability to make some fairly nice yarns, as a hobby.

I can't see any new big thing for knitting arising, unless there is a renaissance of knitted lace dresses, like wedding dresses, or more knitted tablecloths, where everyone is making those two things instead of only a few people. It was lovely when there were dozens of lace table cloths at the State Fairs, and if it starts happening it could set a new trend.

GFTC, true. I feel Needlepoint is coming on. It actually waxes and wanes, like all the other needle arts but always stays pretty strong in the Southern tier of states.

I've looking for all my tools and projects for it these past few weeks and searching web pages for supplies. I'm dropping out and tuning in to that little blunt needle. My time is passed for high mobility, and I want to make beautiful things, knit or otherwise, for the wall.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
GFTC Posted - 07/22/2009 : 8:27:56 PM
I don't know about knitting but I'm hearing an underground murmur about needlepoint.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe