Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Are you territorial with knitting?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
2totangle Posted - 07/06/2009 : 3:10:20 PM
Most of my friends and family are not knitters, but there are a couple of exceptions. I've noticed over time that I feel somewhat squeamish about knitting for these few knitters and their families. Somehow, it seems presumptuous -- an invasion of the knitter's "territory," a suggestion that the knitter isn't taking care of her own, an imposition of my own taste, a hint of competitiveness, etc. I admit that these feelings strike me as somewhat odd, and probably say more about the nature of these relationships and my own foibles than anything else. But as a general rule, I don't knit for knitters or their families. I would never, ever knit for another knitter's husband.

On the other hand, my kids and DH have received knitted gifts from others, and these have generally struck me as thoughtful (although I do know one sweet, generous person who is a rather bad knitter, but who takes pleasure in knitting constantly for others. Her gifts often need fixing or burial in deep drawers, and I'm ashamed to say that I fear others might mistake her work for mine). I've recently been getting to know a very generous knitter who has begun making things for my family members, and after initially feeling that I wasn't doing my job, I now welcome this as the nice gesture it's intended to be.

So, what about you? Do you knit for other knitters and their families? How do you feel when others knit for your relatives?

Suzanne

Flickr pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2totangle/
Ravelry project page: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/2totangle
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
emilyn Posted - 07/30/2009 : 12:30:01 AM
Like Ladyblue, I knit for other knitters in swaps.

But the most exciting item I've done is one baby vest & socks set that 3 other knitting students of mine chipped in to help (each one knits a piece of the vest, while I do the edging & finishing) to present to the new mom.

We all enjoyed that project tremendously.

I haven't got any relatives who knit so this isn't a problem.

http://vintagefusionhandcrafts.blogspot.com
donnawatk Posted - 07/29/2009 : 11:25:19 AM
I have not knitted for other knitters. I don't think I would, because the knitters I know would point out mistakes. I have a pair of socks the a friend made. It was her first pair, she gave them to me and I wear them all the time. I was glad she thought enough of me to give her first pair to me. Donna
ladyblue Posted - 07/25/2009 : 11:00:35 PM
I have knit for other knitters in a swap type situation or a secret pal thing. I would knit something useful like socks or a scarf or hat for a friend if they liked things like that. Personally, I have gotten knitted items and I cherished all of them. My favorite socks were a gift from another knitter.

Lisa
www.bubblesandpurls.blogspot.com
CraftyGal Posted - 07/23/2009 : 12:58:07 PM
I have no problems with other knitting for my family, in fact my mom has done it for my family for years. I get a chuckle when my son get mitts from both of us for Christmas, for instance. In fact he tries to wear them equally so that he doesn't upset either one of us. All we are concerned with is that he has warm hands, lol.

What I did find out was that mu husband's mother was clearly upset that I had crocheted him a couple of hats, as per his request. In fact he couldn't wear the hat around her or she would get very upset! Thankfully it was for only a week while we were visiting. He wears all the hats that I make him now.

Cora
Beats_eating Posted - 07/23/2009 : 11:24:19 AM
I do knit for the knitters in my family, and they for me. Precious items to receive. I knit sweaters for my niece and her babies because her mom doesn't do sweaters. My only problem was that she insisted on very long sleeves, and she has to roll them up. I was torn--I wanted to follow her wishes, but I'm embarrassed that people might think I don't know better than to knit ape sleeves! She is happy with the sweater, long arms and all.

Everyone needs another pair of socks.
kim in michigan Posted - 07/23/2009 : 09:45:07 AM
I have lots of knitting friends, and we often knit things for babies that are born into the group. I don't think I'd be likely to knit much else for someone who knits (although I have contributed to a prayer shawl for a co-worker before). But on the other hand, I'd LOVE to receive a handknitted gift from a knitting friend. I'm jealous of those of you who have!

Kim Smith, just north of Detroit
creeko Posted - 07/23/2009 : 09:07:49 AM
I don't have many knitter friends to make stuff for and the few I have I haven't made anything for yet. However, as a knitter I would LOVE to get a knitted item! I always see my own mistakes but with other all I see is love. It's a double standard I guess cause I think I would be scared to knit something for another knitter but receiving would make me more than happy! It means that person thought of me and what I would like and took the time to craft it.
Allan Design Posted - 07/23/2009 : 06:38:25 AM
I love getting and giving knitted gifts. I wish I was better and the only way to improve is practice. I do knit for friends who knit as they appreciate the effort.
jlriordan@gmail.com Posted - 07/23/2009 : 05:30:29 AM
My best friend had a knitting kick a few years ago, but hasn't made much recently, and never made socks. As a knitter herself, she was uber-appreciative of the socks I knit for her. As long as she wears them, I'll make her more.
lella Posted - 07/20/2009 : 10:38:04 PM
I've been thinking about this awhile. I guess I just don't have the time to knit for anyone but those family members that I am already knitting for, so it's not likely that I would knit for another knitter or their family.

I'd like to knit with some of my family, which we do from time to time. There's only one other close, in proximity, relative who took up knitting recently, and I would never think of knitting for her. I would like to knit for my grand nieces but the other relative is already doing that. I'd make sweaters for anyone in my family, honestly, if I had the time. I mean those who aren't already being knit for by my SIL.

Is this my normal late night rambling answer? *checks back*

Yes, it is.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
kadiddly Posted - 07/09/2009 : 6:03:44 PM
I've only knit for another knitter once and after receiving the gift (a baby blanket for her daughter), she privately thanked me and told me that she'd been hoping that I would make something for her because "no one else ever does. They all figure that I'll make it myself and seem to think that anyone who's pregnant seems to have nothing to do but sit and knit until the baby comes!" Since I know how much time and love go into knitting, if someone actually took that time to make something for me or my family, I would take it as the compliment it is, even if the gift was maybe not exactly how I would do it.

I don't think I would knit for anyone's SO unless I was closer friends with him/her and the partner was fully aware and okay with it or I was making a project for both of them jointly, like the afghans I make for my friends' weddings or a mitten/hat/scarf set for each of them or something.

You can't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.
Blackstage Stitches
ceecee Posted - 07/09/2009 : 5:10:43 PM
For close friends and relatives, I ask what they want, (if they want something knit), colors, type of yarn before I start. For others, I knit small items that don't need to fit. Felted items are usually well received. I never knit for those who have designer logos on their apparel and accessories.
GFTC Posted - 07/09/2009 : 3:31:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by socks4all
Big gifts to unrelated AWH is always tricky. It would be too easy to construe that type of gift as having a secret meaning whether knit or just expensive.

You know what they say, every stitch is knit with love

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
socks4all Posted - 07/09/2009 : 12:05:10 PM
I am usually knitting for non-knitting friends and relatives. I love to give kntted gifts. After all, I have enough pairs of socks (35 at the moment), sweaters, vests, hats & mitts. So, my output needs to go somewhere. Recently in one of my knitting groups someone bemoaned that she never gets a knitted gift. None of us got knitted gifts. After that we did knit for each other, small thinks, not big sweaters but everyone appreciated it. My niece knit me an afghan for Christmas. I think I'm the only one who received an afghan that Christmas who truely appreciated the effort. Just because they could knit a project doesn't mean they would. The reason could be lack of experience or lack of time, or it could be on their "to do" list and then you've saved them the time.

I would not however gift a knitted project to another woman's husband (AWH) unless he was a relative (my brother-in-law got a sweater the same christmas that I gave one to my sister (his wife). Big gifts to unrelated AWH is always tricky. It would be too easy to construe that type of gift as having a secret meaning whether knit or just expensive.
jaymeKnits Posted - 07/09/2009 : 10:19:05 AM
I love receiving knitted gifts and will knit for other knitters/knitter families. I think the understand the thought and effort more than others do. I recently did a baby blanket and booties for a friend's baby (on its way as I type actually). I gave it to her at her shower and didn't know that her mother and aunts are avid knitters. They passed it around and talked about the patterns, it was very well received and I'd knit for her again in a heartbeat if I have the time or inspiration to do so again.
busygirl Posted - 07/08/2009 : 4:36:40 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Wen

I don't knit for others.

My family gets stuff occasionally but it is my hobby and I prefer not to have deadlines and demands on my time. Presents are always bought.

Wen
[quote]

I feel the same way about my knitting - it's my hobby and I find it very therapeutic, as well.I was a stay at home mom many years ago, and some of my in-laws were in the habit of telling me that I should knit for others and charge them,and when I said that I had no intention of turning my hobby into a money-making venture, they would look at me as though I'd come from another planet!

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
Wen Posted - 07/08/2009 : 3:37:02 PM
I don't mind other knitters knitting for me or my family but I draw the line at my husband. His mother and sister can knit for him but I would be upset if he accepted a knitted gift from a friend. That would make me really uncomfortable.

Wen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wen1965/sets/72157612251840708/show/ FO 2009
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/
http://wenswoolgathering.wordpress.com/
candym Posted - 07/08/2009 : 2:31:24 PM
I think that if someone knits something that they do especially well, that would be very much appreciated, and vice-versa.

candace
GFTC Posted - 07/07/2009 : 2:59:30 PM
I don't think it counts if the other knitter is your own mother or your own daughter. Of course you would knit for your grandchildren!

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Bethany Posted - 07/07/2009 : 2:47:58 PM
I suppose I am more likely to knit for my Mom than crochet for my Mom, since she crochets but doesn't knit. So I generally think that if she wanted crocheted item X, she would have crocheted it herself.

However, I'm not yet at the "I have so many knitted items myself I need to either stop knitting, give them away, or drown" stage yet, so most of my knitting/crocheting is for myself! I just moved to Iowa last fall, I still have a long list of woolly knits I want!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe