Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Errata in Knitting Patterns
 Ann Norling Kid's Top Down Raglan #53

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
baldocchi Posted - 05/30/2009 : 10:34:37 PM
I keep on reading that Ann Norling patterns are riddled with errors. So far so good on this pattern, but I'd like to know if anyone has encountered any typos, or errata. Ann Norling doesn't have an errata web site so that's not an option. I'm knitting the size 8 v-neck cardigan with a gauge of 4.5 stitches to the inch. As I said, so far so good, but I'd like to be forewarned if necessary.

Thanks so much

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
anderknit Posted - 11/05/2012 : 5:29:23 PM
Glad to be able to help, although now I see I typed "market" instead of "marker." Sorry!

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
rsprehe@frontiernet.net Posted - 11/04/2012 : 8:43:19 PM
Thank you Your instructions are much, much easier to understand.
jtamsn Posted - 11/03/2012 : 03:39:03 AM
I have made the Ann Norling Spiral rib had dozens of times, in fact, it is one of my favorites. The instructions are just as Anderknit explained. As you continue with the pattern, it will make more sense to you. I do remember when I started using this pattern, I stared at that part of the instructions for awhile before I proceeded.

I have made many Ann Norling patterns with no problem.
judy
anderknit Posted - 11/02/2012 : 5:48:48 PM
I don't know if this is an "easier" way of saying it, but it basically is this: instead of the last p2 of the round, do this: purl 1. Move the marker one stitch to the right. Specifically, slip the next stitch to the right needle. Remove the market, slip the stitch back to the left needle, place the marker onto the right needle, and then begin the next round.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
rsprehe@frontiernet.net Posted - 11/02/2012 : 1:31:40 PM
I need assistance on Ann Norlings pattern #54, Spiral Rib Hat. I don't understand the directions for round 4. Is there an easier way to write the following?

Rnd 4: *K2,P2, *rep to last 4 sts. End with K2, P1.
Move marker 1 st to right. (Work 1 st before marker, sl st onto right needle, remove marker, place sl st back on left needle & place marker.)
baldocchi Posted - 05/31/2009 : 07:02:20 AM
Hi Fran

I didn't mean to imply that writing patterns was easy. I just transcribed this pattern so I could extract just the pattern I am using this time, the v-neck cardigan in size 8, at 4.5 stitches per inch, and that transcription was a bear. (I have another couple of grandnieces/nephews on the way so I know I will use other sizes of this pattern in the near future. It's easier to just extract the pattern info you need out of the 9 pages of pattern.) A good friend edited the transcription for me and together we found errors in the math, or at least numbers, on the original that made no sense to us. I'm sure that writing a pattern is even more challenging than transcribing it.

I suspect that you are so good at this craft, and because you write your own patterns, you might just subconsciously correct errors that you encounter in someone else's pattern. Those of us with less talent and experience stumble on those errors.

This forum is a great resource and I depend on it to help me grow. That's why I was hoping that someone who had already knit this pattern and encountered issues would share their solutions with all of us who count on this forum for help. I know that you have been a godsend for any number of people here, myself included. When fmarrs speaks, people listen!

So I will take your advice and continue knitting according to the pattern, but I reiterate, if anyone has found solutions to issues on this pattern, please share.

Thanks so much

Nicole

If we don't get there together, we won't get there at all.
fmarrs Posted - 05/31/2009 : 06:29:14 AM
I know nothing about this pattern design or Norling's patterns, but I would just like to make a comment.

I write knitting patterns and it is not easy to do. I find that the most errors in patterns are mathematical and very easy to correct. The second most common cause is the reader of the pattern. We all express ourselves in different ways and interpret what we read in different ways. Sometimes the persons complaining about a pattern are just revealing how poorly they read.

I would ignore all comments you have heard about Norling's patterns and just knit it. If you come to a problem area, post it here on KR and we will see if we can help.

I have personally knit literally thousands of patterns and found very few errors.

fran

http://martianmischief.blogspot.com/

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe