Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 Encouragement for socks please!!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reteng Posted - 03/09/2009 : 10:05:45 AM
I am a veteran quilter but new knitter. I have enjoyed knitting simple scarves and really want to learn to knit socks. I purchased three sock knitting books and am starting with the Schurch class sock on DPNs. After much ripping and restarting, I completed the ribbing and the heel flap. Once I finished the heel turn I discovered I had one extra stitch leftover. Not being experienced enough to problem-solve where I went wrong, I ripped out a huge chunk yet again. As I look ahead to the directions for the gusset, I feel overwhelmed by the techniques I don't know. My husband has watched me knit and rip, knit and rip, and wonders why I don't just give up and buy socks. I guess I'd like to know if my experience is a common one or if most new sock knitters just fly through the directions with no trouble. Is there hope for me?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jmh Posted - 03/14/2009 : 07:17:51 AM
Here's a link to the easiest sock you'll ever knit. They are knit toe up. http://fleeglesblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/leegles-toe-up-no-flap-no-hassle-sock.html.

However, I do not use the lifted increase, I use Make 1.

I used this pattern for my 4th pair of socks and it is the first one I had no trouble with.

Good luck!
hcdarmara@earthlink.net Posted - 03/13/2009 : 11:42:00 AM
Keep telling yourself, "It's a sock. It's going to be on a foot. Way down near the floor." Small problems, like an extra stitch or one too few can be compensated for in the next row.

You will be the only person who will ever know your sock isn't exactly the same as the one in the pattern.

And, the one in the pattern is perhaps a stitch or two different than the one the designer first knit. (I speak from experience.)

Socks were knit long before we started printing patterns. The original pattern was probably "cast on some stitches, knit around until it's long enough. Set aside about half the stitches for the top of the foot. Make a heel flap by knitting back and forth on half the stitches. Turn the heel. Pick up stitches along the heel flap. Go back to knitting in the round by continuing across the set aside stitches. Decrease the extra stitches until you have as many as you started with. Make the foot long enough. Knit a toe."

The only time that a sock has to be ripped out, IMHO, is when the gauge is really off -- so that the sock would be too big and the fabric too loose for any foot you know.

I think a lot of the patterns make this process seem much more complicated and scary than it needs to be. Socks are wonderful -- small and portable, flexible in sizing, warm, comfortable -- and fun.
tantan Posted - 03/13/2009 : 08:53:13 AM
I am so impressed with all the great advice on knitting socks. I didn't see anything about the problem I encountered. I knitted my first pair slowly but they went along without problems until they were finished, I had cast on too tightly and couldn't get them on my feet. I have sinced learned ways to cast on loosely. I still have to master getting the right gauge to get the size I want. Thanks everyone who is so helpful.
knittingrunner