Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 The Knitting Answer Book

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
churchlady Posted - 02/19/2009 : 10:44:48 AM
I'd recommend this reference to anyone who knits. I use it more than the others I own because I keep it beside the couch or pop it in with a project if I'll need it for an upcoming step.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Yarnovah Posted - 03/01/2009 : 2:32:18 PM
I would like to suggest they change the binding to spiral in a future incarnation so that it lies flat. I'm considering taking mine to Kinkos or Office Max to have it rebound.

Yarnovah
plainandpurl Posted - 02/20/2009 : 10:35:04 AM
The Knitting Answer Book is a more helpful compendium of information than, say, Knitter's Companion or general instruction books on knitting, in large part because of its compression and its Q&A format. The fact that it was written by a teacher shows: these are the actual sorts of questions that beginning knitters ask, and because Margaret Radcliffe answers these questions at length and respectfully, the book is a (mostly) wonderful resource.

My one criticism of it is the index. Yes, it's true that the index is more comprehensive than most knitting books' indexes. But as a book editor, I suspect that the index was generated by a computer program and not well edited. It doesn't distinguish between mentions of techniques or equipment and important mentions; often the most useful information does not receive a citation at all. For example, "Slip, Slip, Knit [SSK]" refers the reader to p. 206, which does not define or explain how to execute an SSK. That information appears on p. 265, which is not cited in the index. Similarly, the acronym PSSO does not appear in the index, though the technique is explained on p. 265). Duplicate stitch appears in the index on pp. 60-62: the citation should read pp. 360-62.

A book of facts is only as useful as its index is comprehensive and accurate. Storey Publishing let down The Knitting Answer Book's readers and author when it provided us with such a poor index.
GFTC Posted - 02/19/2009 : 3:54:39 PM
I have the crochet version and it's so useful. I'll have to pick up a knitting copy.

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
Cheerleader9 Posted - 02/19/2009 : 3:40:36 PM
This was one of the books that someone on the forum recommended when I started knitting again. It remains my "go to book" for everything! A great little must have book.

Barb in AZ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheerleader9
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Cheerleader9
noallatin Posted - 02/19/2009 : 1:24:38 PM
I have a copy. Because it is small and and I am disorganized, I usually can't find it when I need it. When I do find it, it is a wonderful reference.
MindyO Posted - 02/19/2009 : 12:34:27 PM
***LOVE*** this book! I was apprehensive at first, the lack of pictures was worrisome for me since I am usually a very visual person. There are a few illustrations here and there to help you along and they seem to be just enough to clear up any confusion the words might have caused. My cousin got it for me for my birthday a few years ago and I didn't use it at first, relying mostly on the internet. Now, it's my go to for everything from new cast ons and increases to a refresher on sewn bind offs and kitchner. (I always forget how to do these)
They also have The Crochet Answer Book that she uses all the time, and from what I understnad she really likes it.

It's small, portable, easy to use, and as far as I'm concerned complete. It's answered every question I've had to date. I wouldn't say I'm advanced, but I'm not a beginner either. I'm a neurotic controlling spaz of a person so unlike Clara's mine still lays flat, but with the softer cover I can see the day will come when I too might need a band around it.

My Ravelry
My Flickr
My Facebook
Sticks and String Posted - 02/19/2009 : 12:00:46 PM
I just picked this up with a GC I was given and I LOVE it! Excellent clear instructions with diagrams (which are very helpful for some of my students who need to "see" it done). I'd also recommend this book to anyone of any knitting skills level.

Jo

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe