Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Report on Knitting Resolutions edit: October 2009

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GFTC Posted - 01/28/2009 : 3:47:26 PM
My resolutions were made on Dec 23 and this is my January report:

Yes I Did
1. bought no yarn
2. borrowed 6 knitting books from library
3. knit 3 pairs of socks using stash yarn and 1 stash pattern, 1 pattern from library books, and 1 no-pattern
4. sold 30 skeins of yarn through Ravelry

On the Other Hand
1. bought 1 book, Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn, in a moment of weakness but I'm glad I did.

The original thread was 7 pages of resolutions so let's hear from you!

GFTC of NYC
my knitting photos on Flickr or Ravelry
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
abt1950 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 1:45:48 PM
Final report on 2009:

I started out the year with 15 UFOs/WIPs and got them down to 6. I learned how to do mosaic/slip stitch knitting, relearned fair isle and continental knitting, did a couple of mystery kals, figured out how to retroknit a couple of things, and generally had a good time. The yarn diet went out the window, but hey, I'm now well stocked in case there's every another Yarn Drought.

Happy New Years and Happy Knitting to all!

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
fiddlerbird555 Posted - 12/10/2009 : 3:08:56 PM
Working on multi-color socks for DD. Could finish any time. At one point she wanted knee length, but she's also getting eager to actually have socks. Me, I'm getting a bit tired of doing straight ribbing, and if they get too long, then I won't be able to reclaim them from her if she doesn't like them. (It's finer work than I've done, but she normally claims hand-knits are too rough on her feet. At 11 her feet are almost as large as mine, but my calves are MUCH bigger.) And besides, I think the yarn would look better if it didn't go ALL the way around her legs. I'm curious what entrelac arm-warmers would look like.

And I'm playing with scrap yarn & crochet. Got a book on making snowflakes, and one on filet lace. I'm on my 2nd snowflake.

I also made "prototype" (b*tt ugly, but checking how to design them) seasickness bands for my other DD.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
Marg in Mirror Posted - 12/10/2009 : 11:40:41 AM
quote:
March/April Update:
Above-mentioned socks finished and being enjoyed by the recipient.
finished 1 of each of 2 pair of socks from stash (1 "Hope Sock" from The Eclectic Sole and one "Guernsey Sock" from The Knitter's Book of Yarn, plus started a pair of "Little Shells Socks", also from stash, also from KBOY -- thanks to 2 KALs! 3/4 through a fine lace shawl ("Vernal Equinox", also from stash, also thanks to a KAL and
[*]well along on a prayer shawl ("Sierra Dreams" from The Prayer Shawl Companion -- again, from stash and for the Prayer Shawl Ministry at my church. I finished the back of the pullover I am making from stash pour moi and am up to the armhole shaping on the front. I've also started a sweater jacket for my son (from Peace Fleece in stash, for the fall), and made a mitred scarf from stash for a charity auction.

The pile's slo-o-o-wly dminishing...but it may take me years yet! LOL!

Marg in Mirror

And then I got distracted... Seriously, though, I've abandoned the projects pour moi and instead knit over 1/2 dozen dishcloths, made a top for my DD ("Sweet Tee" from Interweave Knits Spring 2009), 3 prayer shawls (1 of which is mentioned above), a baby sweater, 2 chemo caps and 2 pair of socks -- one for each of 2 different friends. Now working on Christmas gifts.

Still, all is not lost. Most items have come from my stash.

Oh, and I've been spinning more, and have learned to ply!

M in M

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
eldergirl Posted - 12/08/2009 : 8:41:59 PM
Good for you starting this up again, Anne!

Started a pair of socks which I need ! I never thought I would be so dependent on hand-knitted socks, but they are addictive to wear!

My baby blanket missed the A4A deadline, but I am giving myself leeway because I had such a hard summer......it is pretty, and I am sure they will want baby blankets again soon.

Entrelac is next: Lady Eleanor Shawl with Noro Silk Garden. Yum.

Yes bought yarn: lovely sales online. Not too much, though.

GTFC, are you still enjoying your hot water bottle with it's pretty turtleneck?

Anna

Think globally, act locally
abt1950 Posted - 12/08/2009 : 3:57:46 PM
What? It's December 8 already, and there have been no reports on November. We must all be in denial about our resolutions.

I'm currently back up to 9 UFOs, with holiday knitting yet to be started (mitts, hats mostly), and another 6 or 7 projects in serious queue. I started and finished two socks in November. One was a mystery sock by Star Athena, which was one of the more challenging patterns I've done.

Both the socks were slip stitch/mosaic patterns, which I'd never done before. One of my resolutions for 2009 was to do more color knitting, so I'm happy about that. One of my other projects is a fair isle hat, so that meets the goal too.

On to December. . .

Anne in NJ

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/abt1950

Knit long and prosper
churchlady Posted - 11/05/2009 : 12:46:46 PM
I had forgotten about knitting resolutions until Clara mentioned them this week, and I went back to see if I'd made any. I was surprised to see how many were nothing to do with UFO's. So, I haven't spent less time online and more time knitting, but I have organized my stash and books and magazines on new bookcases from Ikea so the living room looks less like a disorganized studio. I am still trying to purchase fewer magazines--I hope scratching one off the list completely counts as keeping that resolution. I have joined my local knitting guild, and really enjoy it; and I did take the spinning class and my little dog is now having his fibre harvested as I resolved. I guess I achieved about 4 1/2 out of 6, and I did finish one sweater for me, as well as lots of little baby clothes for gifts and charity.
Sticks and String Posted - 11/05/2009 : 11:53:58 AM
OK. So far, I've knit a pair of socks every month which was my main goal for 2009. The September socks are the only ones not yet finished but I have (to me) perfectly acceptable reasons and they WILL be finished in time for Christmas. On the month I did socks for the Littles in the family, I did 3 pair so I didn't feel like I was cheating...lol. For November I held a meeting of the "1 Pair of Socks Each Month" Commitee of Me, Myself and I and we all agreed that the Sock Monkey pattern I picked up free at Michaels would count as socks. :) Sock Monkey is a "thing" between DH and I so he'll be getting the Sock Monkey for Christmas.

I've also been knitting down the stash which was another goal. I've used a boatload of sock yarn, most of my single skein cotton stash (for facecloths to give with lovely hand-milled goat soaps for Christmas gifts) and I've just started a basketball season sweater project using my Bartlett stash. DH is coaching A level this year so we have twice the games and a much longer season. So I dove into the stash and set a specific project just for basketball game knitting. I've also used up a bunch of bits making ornaments and mini-sock pins.

As for purchases...ok, Michaels sucked me into buying the yarn for the Sock Monkey (3 skeins all on sale) and I have picked up 4 skeins of cotton (all on sale) for facecloths. Other than that, I haven't bought any yarn! I did buy Cookie A's Sock Innovation book and can't wait to finish my 2009 Year o' the Socks so I can move onto knitting from Cookie's book. I did the Wool Tour here in NH last month and all I bought was a lovely lambskin for DH to use on his motorcycle seat. YAY!

So I'm feeling good about my knitting year. I've met my goals so far and only have one pair of socks left, the December socks. The September socks, which are actually slippers for DD, will be finished shortly...the hangup was two-fold. I made all my mistakes on this pair and I had major issues with the insoles. Now that I've worked out the kinks (and finished another pair that was for October) I'll have them done quick.

Jo

Corddrymum Posted - 11/05/2009 : 07:41:07 AM
I had 2 resolutions. 1. Make a Lady Eleanor Shawl and 2. Learn to make sox. I haven't done either but I fully indend to do both. Hopefully in the coming year.
Robin C.
scarfitup Posted - 11/05/2009 : 04:31:15 AM
Here were my resolutions from the original thread:

1) Continue to work off my stash
2) Develop new designs in knit, crochet, freeform, and nuno felting - accessories and jewelry.

Yes, I did!
1. Continue to work off my stash. BUT....of course I also continued to add to it - not hugely - but as needed to complete custom orders. The next resolution will be to reorganize it all once again.

2. Develop new designs: the Loopy and the Collar resulted. And both are selling, so I am gratified!

Scarf It Up!
http://scarf-it-up.blogspot.com
http://flickr.com/photos/scarfitup
http://scarfitup.etsy.com
Become a fan of Scarf It Up! on FB: http://tinyurl.com/mrsrad
lella Posted - 11/01/2009 : 12:19:40 AM
quote:
1.I will try to not buy anymore yarn until I've knit down the stash.. ha ha ha, there's about 0 chance of that happening.

2. I WILL work hard on the Aran sweater and the Pi Shawl. They need to be finished and handed to, or sent off to, the people who are getting them.

I did get a little bit done on the Aran sweater, about 20 rows so far, though nothing on the Pi Shawl. Not even a peek inside the bag!

I did knit one pair of socks in this month, but bought enough for 4 pair of socks this month also. One out of stash, four in, gain of three.

I get this terrible rash when I don't buy sock yarn in October. What can I say.

Ann, we won't talk about books. Ok.

My Blog @ Zippiknits
Knitting@ Flicker
eldergirl Posted - 10/31/2009 : 7:35:06 PM
Not much for me, either, not even more yarn! :)

But a few inches more on the baby blanket for A4A November project. It's going to be pretty.

Anna
fiddlerbird555 Posted - 10/31/2009 : 11:31:41 AM
Very little for me in October. We went on vacation, then sewed halloween costumes. (Then the socks I was doing from two ends of a center-pull ball got well tangled).

I'm ready to do more winter mittens.

I can go loopy, or I can knit. Your choice.
abt1950 Posted - 10/30/2009 : 10:27:23 PM
October has mostly been about sock knitting. I finished the September mystery sock (Fox Faces by Nancy Bush) and the Wendy Johnson pair I was working on when I last posted. I started and finished Bloomin' by Jeannie Cartmel for the October Sock Kntters Anonymous challenge on Ravelry.

At the rate I'm going, I'll burn out on sock knitting in the next few months. But they're such a nice canvas to try different techniques. Then I'll go sit with GFTC in the non-sock-knitting corner of the room.

In non-sock-related stuff, I dug out my Ogee Tunic from "Knitting Nature" that I started at my nephew's wedding in 2006. The front, with all the fancy work is done, and I'm slowly crawling up the back. Good mindless knitting.

One of my goals this year was to do more color knitting and to learn new techniques. No major new knitting techniques yet, but I cast on for my second real piece of stranded knitting yesterday--a Jared Flood hat.

Still holding at 6 UFOs, but that number will probably go up by one or two in November.

Can we not talk about buying yarn? Or books?

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
GFTC Posted - 10/29/2009 : 08:38:53 AM
October is coming to an end. Is everyone still knitting? I suppose those of you who are doing holiday related knitting are sensing some deadlines coming up.

Knit (all yarn from stash)
1 hot water bottle cover
7 hats to be given away
2 small placemats
finished all parts of mohair cardi, not yet assembled
1/2 finished with crocheted silk scarf

Bought
1 skein Sugar 'n Cream because a Michaels opened in Manhattan and I had to buy something

Destash
3 skeins Debbie Bliss Merino DK sold on Ravelry
6 skeins Tahki Soho Bulky donated to local non-profit thrift shop that benefits hospital
1 large painted needlepoint canvas donated to same thrift shop

It is now 6 months since I have knit a sock.

GFTC of NYC
Chayah Posted - 10/07/2009 : 07:52:50 AM
My condolences to you, Anna, and wish you well. I have not been doing much knitting this summer, a little crocheting at times, but now I am planning to make a scarf for a friend whose father is dying, one with thoughts and prayers knitted in. I am just going to try to do a little needlework every day. Warm thoughts to all, Chayah in breezy New York.

"Each breath really is a new beginning of the rest of our lives." Jon Kabat-Zinn
valleruata Posted - 10/01/2009 : 07:56:42 AM
Boy, the year is 2/3 over and this is the first time I have thought about those resolutions. My main one was to finish UFOs. I am still working on that. One project out of 6 has been finished. So many great patterns came out this year! Startitis is still attacking. But I do have an Aran sweater that has to get finished for the husband before it gets cold again and a Kingscot cardigan that I really want to be wearing right now.
Has anyone already thought of next year's resolutions? Mine will be the same. Maybe it will adjust to say a balance of new to old finished projects;)
Deb
AngieSue Posted - 09/28/2009 : 7:54:02 PM
I've fallen of my commitment wagon. I wasn't going to buy any sock yarn but I don't want to stop myself. There's a beautiful ball of yarn, String Theory Caper, sitting here looking at me and wondering which pair of socks it will become.

I've bought plenty of sweater yarn but I hadn't sworn off all yarn. No guilt here.

I still haven't knit anything Continental but I still have 3 months to go. I'm thinking about making another Truly Tasha shawl and it would be a perfect project for testing.

Angie
My Ravelry
My Pictures
abt1950 Posted - 09/27/2009 : 7:28:23 PM
September has been sock knitting month. UFOs are holding at 7, one up from last month.

I finished Kai Mei early in the month. Having the flu is good for some things.

I discovered Sock Knitters Anonymous on Ravelry and am knitting/finishing two pair of socks for their September challenge. Both will be done in a couple of days.

Wendy Johnson is the designer du month, so one is her double eyelet rib toe up socks. I'm about an inch and a half above the heel on the second sock.

I'm also doing SKA's mystery sock for September, which is by Nancy Bush. I'm loving it because a) it's my first mystery KAL and b) I'm learning new techniques. I'm halfway down the instep on the second sock.

Not sure if I'm going to do the October SKA challenge, because I need to work on some other projects. But I'm loving the slightly fanatical group experience.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/abt1950

Anne in NJ

Knit long and prosper
One Stitch at a Time Posted - 09/25/2009 : 07:34:26 AM
My deepest sympathies go out to you, Anna, on the loss of your son. Just as he had you to love and care for him, I hope you have loving family/friends to love and sustain you at this time. Knitting can be therapeutic or it can be too demanding right now. If it is too demanding, put it away. It will wait for you.
Be patient and loving to yourself.
My thoughts are with you.

Nanci

GFTC Posted - 09/25/2009 : 05:46:56 AM
Here goes for September:

Knit
2 hats for college son, 1 from Debbie Bliss Merino Aran stash and the other from Cascade 220 Superwash bought for this project

70% done with entrelac blanket, Berroco Keltic bought for this project

Bought
1 skein Cascade 220 Superwash (used for hat)
22 skeins Berroco Keltic (used for entrelac blanket), thanks Elann!
Knitting Without Tears, 40% off coupon at Borders

My $50 credit on Elann kicked in. I hadn't bought from them in 2 years so it was a nice surprise when it popped up. Now comes the pressure of what to spend it on!

ETA: Finished the blanket on 9/30 so it counts for September.
Also 9/30: bought The Knitter's Book of Wool

GFTC of NYC

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe